The original version of MediEvil is coming to PlayStation Plus Premium, apparently

blue_blur_98

The problem with contacting support about issues like this is that - presumably - their script or training does not make them aware that upgrades from PS3 games are possible. When I spoke with someone they were insistent that it was not possible to upgrade a PS3 game.

In the end what did help was giving them an example of a game where the upgrade is working, after doing that they (reluctantly) escalated a case for me for someone more senior to investigate. Although my case is still open some 2 months later...

An observation for "European" English region users (UK, NZ, AU etc) looking for the upgrade. If you have access to a PS4 it looks like the free upgrade is working properly from the PS Store on that console. It's only when browsing the store from a PS5 or the web/mobile that the free upgrade is missing. Looks like the US and other non-English European upgrades are OK.

7 minutes ago, andshrew said:

An observation for "European" English region users (UK, NZ, AU etc) looking for the upgrade. If you have access to a PS4 it looks like the free upgrade is working properly from the PS Store on that console. It's only when browsing the store from a PS5 or the web/mobile that the free upgrade is missing. Looks like the US and other non-English European upgrades are OK.

Can anyone else with the issue confirm if this actually works? At work atm so won't be able to try for a few hours but I do still have my PS4 up on the shelf so I'll do it if this is the case... Anything to not deal with PlayStation Support again (had a "similar" issue with Jet Moto 2 (Jet Rider 2 here) with it being "Unavailable" even though I'd purchased it on the old PSN and it took like 3 Months for them to fix it and make it available/"Free" to redeem... At that point I'd just pay for Medievil again honestly 😒)

57 minutes ago, andshrew said:

The problem with contacting support about issues like this is that - presumably - their script or training does not make them aware that upgrades from PS3 games are possible. When I spoke with someone they were insistent that it was not possible to upgrade a PS3 game.

In the end what did help was giving them an example of a game where the upgrade is working, after doing that they (reluctantly) escalated a case for me for someone more senior to investigate. Although my case is still open some 2 months later...

The Twisted Metal PS1 Classic on PS3 is currently broken. They'll take your money but you can't download the game or get access to the PS4/5 versions. I got it refunded twice and then on the third time I escalated the problem. Nothing happened for weeks, so I got it refunded again. They actually thanked me for being a Level 4 PS Stars member. I guess the program works.

Edited by Hundredhandslap

Very hit and miss I got jak and daxter free last month but not coolborders both purchased on uk psn years ago and now medievil is also showing for £7.99 Even downloaded on my vita a week ago to help trigger it for release.

29 minutes ago, Lambo_1989 said:

Very hit and miss I got jak and daxter free last month but not coolborders both purchased on uk psn years ago and now medievil is also showing for £7.99 Even downloaded on my vita a week ago to help trigger it for release.

Do you definitely own Cool Boarders on the PS3, and didn't get it via PS+?

The free upgrade should be there on the UK store, but it is specifically checking for a permanent license (ie. if you got it when it was a monthly PS+ game it won't count for the upgrade).

Edited by andshrew

1 hour ago, MRR---OFFICIAL said:

Can anyone else with the issue confirm if this actually works? At work atm so won't be able to try for a few hours but I do still have my PS4 up on the shelf so I'll do it if this is the case... Anything to not deal with PlayStation Support again (had a "similar" issue with Jet Moto 2 (Jet Rider 2 here) with it being "Unavailable" even though I'd purchased it on the old PSN and it took like 3 Months for them to fix it and make it available/"Free" to redeem... At that point I'd just pay for Medievil again honestly 😒)

I can confirm ps4 method works. I’ve just downloaded there and it appeared on my ps5 library too 😁

• Like 1

1 minute ago, papanikolaou said:

I can confirm ps4 method works. I’ve just downloaded there and it appeared on my ps5 library too 😁

Ok, I'll check on the PS4 store when I get home... I feel like it may be a PSN side issue anyway as Raji PS5 is supposed to be a "Free Upgrade" too apparently but it's just available for $38 without an upgrade option so who the hell knows what's going on 🤷‍♂️

5 hours ago, andshrew said:

I’d call it cross buy, since that’s what it is. It’s not really an upgrade in the same ways as PS4>PS5 upgrading works.

but customer support should be trained better at PS. (Most places) 

• Like 1

YES, PS4 method worked... Thank god. Had to update the PS4 first to Ver. 11.50 and upon doing so the system didn't auto-restart, then when I turned it on I got an Error that the "System Update Failed" or something but it sorted itself out when it booted into the menu after "Rebuilding Database" 😅

I wonder if the Jet Moto 2 issue I had those months back could have been resolved by going to it in the PS4's Store possibly? 🤔 Regardless though, Sony needs to sort this shit out.

On 4/5/2024 at 5:57 PM, J-S_93 said:

Can anyone confirm if this works retroactively - as in if you don't own either and you buy the PS3 version today, you will then get the other? Something tells me I'm not so sure about this.

The only one I've come across that's broken is Twisted Metal. I can confirm that these work retroactively since I just bought them recently: MediEvil, Cool Boarders, Jumping Flash!, Wild Arms 2, Jet Moto 2, Rally Cross and Legend of Dragoon. They cost $5.99 CAD on PS3 instead of $13.49 CAD on PS4/5. Good deal

Edited by Hundredhandslap
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hundredhandslap said:

The only one I've come across that's broken is Twisted Metal. I can confirm that these work retroactively since I just bought them recently: MediEvil, Cool Boarders, Jumping Flash!, Wild Arms 2, Jet Moto 2, Rally Cross and Legend of Dragoon. They cost $5.99 CAD on PS3 instead of $13.49 CAD on PS4/5. Good deal

That's a very decent saving, the only annoying thing is - I actually have to dust off the PS3 and hook it up in order to buy the ones I want because there's no other alternative way to access the PS3 Store now is there; other than natively via the actual console itself?

Edited by J-S_93

5 hours ago, J-S_93 said:

That's a very decent saving, the only annoying thing is - I actually have to dust off the PS3 and hook it up in order to buy the ones I want because there's no other alternative way to access the PS3 Store now is there; other than natively via the actual console itself?

Some may still be on PS Vita if you have one, but tons of stuff has been removed from there too so idk 

On 4/6/2024 at 12:41 AM, blue_blur_98 said:

A PS4 trophy list for MediEvil just synced onto this site, seemingly for a forthcoming release of the original PS1 version onto PS Plus Premium, potentially this month. I think it's an incredibly odd choice for a PS1 classic, since we already have two versions of this game on modern PlayStation platforms already, including the 2019 remake that outright includes this exact version as an unlockable.

Trophies look to be incredibly similar to the 2019 version, right down to the trophy names. The only major difference seems to be the removal of any trophies related to the Lost Souls side quest, since that doesn't exist in the original. That alone should significantly reduce the time investment required for this game's trophies.

You do know that the original was also part of the Remake right? You unlocked the OG by finding all the Lost Souls

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Sonic230584 said:

You do know that the original was also part of the Remake right? You unlocked the OG by finding all the Lost Souls

Yeah, I know. I said so in the post. This is the main reason that I have a hard time wrapping my head around this release. You've been able to play the original MediEvil on modern PlayStation platforms for half a decade at this point; why would they go out of their way to roll it out on PS Plus Premium, a service that allows access to two other versions of this exact game, one of which includes more or less the exact version that just got re-released again?

Two reasons come to mind;

1) The PS1 version within Remake is likely emulated within the application so they know it already runs on PS4/PS5 without issues, so passing QA was probably quite quick and an easy-win to pad out PS+ Premium.

2) Considering where we are, two extra MediEvil trophy lists will always go down well :)