The original version of MediEvil is coming to PlayStation Plus Premium, apparently

blue_blur_98

1 hour ago, BEAST_IHMOTEP said:

The weird thing is that those particular three games (plus CTR) belongs to Sony Interactive. While the IP belongs to Microsoft. So I don’t know what would be the legal issues if Sony wants to release them on PS Store.

Yeah it’s a sticky one. The copyright to the code belongs to Naughty Dog and Sony, while the IP belongs to Activision and Microsoft. Maybe MS could hold out an olive branch like Nintendo did to them for GoldenEye. Nice thought. 

2 hours ago, Pray_4_the_End said:

The trophy tiles for this one are terrible in comparison to the remake.

Was thinking the same thing. They pretty much just copy/pasted the list but took the time to redesign the beautiful images with cheap and nasty ones. OK then 😬

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ash_Ketchum132 said:

I think you can still purchase them standalone no? Just having the service gets you them for free?

You can buy the PSOne Classic version on PS3 for 5 bucks. It gives you access to the PS4/5 versions at no additional cost.

Edited by Hundredhandslap

8 minutes ago, Hundredhandslap said:

You can buy the PSOne Classic version on PS3 for 5 bucks. It gives you access to the PS4/5 versions at no additional cost.

Can anyone confirm if this works retroactively - as in if you don't own either and you buy the PS3 version today, you will then get the other? Something tells me I'm not so sure about this.

The thing about MediEvil II ever coming to the service is, and I can't seem to ever figure this one out, but has there ever been a PS Plus classic we've gotten whether PS1 or PSP in the past that has never previously been on the PS Store during the PS3 era? Because I know for a fact MediEvil II was never on there previously and idk if they are strictly taking those ports and bringing them over. If that's the case, we may never get MediEvil II at least by means of this PS Plus program which at this point, this port's existence is insulting if they're not gonna owe us MediEvil II after platinuming MediEvil 1 essentially 5 times when you could save yourself two of those by just playing the remake and unlocking it, and honestly this is particularly insulting to Other Ocean's hard work and passion put into the remake when looking at that trophy art and the somewhat hideous white drop shadow on the OG PS1 logo.

Sony working hard to increase those profit margins. This is about it being cheap/easy to put on the service and it adds practically nothing considering the same game was already available twice.

20 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

This is cool. It opens the door for other PS1 classics that already have remasteres to get on the service.

Nothing indicated that door was ever closed. In fact, we already had the PSP version of that very same game on the service which clearly demonstrates that the door was wide open for retro games with remakes or remasters.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, iriihutoR84 said:

Sony working hard to increase those profit margins. This is about it being cheap/easy to put on the service and it adds practically nothing considering the same game was already available twice.

Nothing indicated that door was ever closed. In fact, we already had the PSP version of that very same game on the service which clearly demonstrates that the door was wide open for retro games with remakes or remasters.

My understanding was the PSP version was unique.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

My understanding was the PSP version was unique.

It's more of a reimagining in a lot of ways (akin to the PS4 Ratchet & Clank game, or the recent string of Resident Evil remakes). It's certainly way more distinct from the original than the otherwise more faithful PS4 remake is.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2

PSP version is typical remake with many changes and such. It comes from a time when developers actually remade games while remaking them. It's not the same as original and I'm very glad that that's the case. And I'm very glad we're gonna get original as well (with trophies - because it matters). PS4 Remake kinda sucks. It's faithful, sure, but it should have some improvements over the original - instead in many ways it's a step backwards.

• Like 1
  • Confused 7

I've been eagerly awaiting a MediEvil 2 Remake. It's too bad we didn't get a 2-pack when the first game's remake was announced (kinda embarrassing compared to the Crash and Spyro trilogies). At this point I'd take a port of MediEvil 2 over nothing. I never played the sequel before, but the first game's PS4 remake instantly made me a fan.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Potter13579 said:

The thing about MediEvil II ever coming to the service is, and I can't seem to ever figure this one out, but has there ever been a PS Plus classic we've gotten whether PS1 or PSP in the past that has never previously been on the PS Store during the PS3 era? Because I know for a fact MediEvil II was never on there previously and idk if they are strictly taking those ports and bringing them over. If that's the case, we may never get MediEvil II at least by means of this PS Plus program which at this point, this port's existence is insulting if they're not gonna owe us MediEvil II after platinuming MediEvil 1 essentially 5 times when you could save yourself two of those by just playing the remake and unlocking it, and honestly this is particularly insulting to Other Ocean's hard work and passion put into the remake when looking at that trophy art and the somewhat hideous white drop shadow on the OG PS1 logo.

The version of Resident Evil that was added was never on the US PS3 store. The US could digitally buy the dual shock edition in America (which had replaced music), but the Euro folks got the earlier Director's Cut, non-dual shock edition on PS3 PSN. When the did the version for PS4/PS5, they chose the Director's Cut release worldwide since it had the original music. Perhaps that music rights issue is why you still can't outright buy RE 1: DC PS1 off PSN for ps4/ps5. If MediEvil II was never on the PS3 store its possible a rights issue kept it off.

Which that's why you also can't 100% guarantee purchasing the PS1 off PS3 before it launches on premium will guarantee you'll get it for free if the game has multiple versions. Those who had purchased the mislabeled RE1 dualshock version on the PS3 did not get the Resident Evil Director's Cut for free since it is a different iteration.

Edited by Guardian_owl

15 hours ago, Breakingthegreen said:

Considering that resurrection was reimagining of this game and PS4 is a proper remake. I'm convinced that Sony will do everything except port Medievil 2 just to spite us.

Dan takes his head off in number 2 and it explodes as a standard weapon... why do sony hide this from us.

(Mind you, an excuse to play the game again without the borderline racist genie is appreciated)  

Racist genie ?

1 hour ago, SeniorRicketts said:

Racist genie ?

5 Game Remakes That Added A New Character For The Better (& 5 For The Worse)

This guy from the PSP version that won't shut up about camels and kebabs if you stand still for more than three seconds. He also sounds like someone doing an impression of Apu from the Simpsons but worse, (but I can't prove that it's not a real accent, his voice actor isn't revealed anywhere). I hate him more because he was annoying tbh, I expect offensive things in older games, but being irritating is a bad combination because I now struggle to ignore this dude.

He makes be wanna stick Dan's head in a river to flush him out.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MRR---OFFICIAL said:

Double standard for me cause I'd say it's pointless (which it basically is, especially since it's unlockable in the Remake) but I'll gladly take OG Medievil with 2 sets of Trophys (don't forget it'll also have a PS5 List) and this should signify that Medievil 2 will come at some point as well.

Also it's bloody Free if you own it from back in the day/old store (PS3/PSP/PSVita) so there literally isn't any reason to complain, and this'll only take up like 1GB as opposed to needing the whole Remake installed if you want to play the OG on PS4/PS5 (I think the Remake is around 20GB or whatever) not the biggest deal/issue but I'll take the saved space 🤷‍♂️

It does, I've been doing it for the few games I didn't already own as they've been added... Toy Story 2 is the best example, I've owned the PS1 Disc since childhood (still have it) so never bought it on PSN, got added on PS4/PS5 and sells like all other Classics for $14.95... Went onto my PS3/PSVita where it's only $2.95 and got it on all 5 Systems (PS3/PSP/PSVita/PS4/PS5)

Once purchased on the old PSN it should appear as "Free" (in place of the price) on the PS4/PS5 Store and PS App on Mobile... I'll add that sometimes there can be random issues though it may have to do with regional naming or something??? I grabbed Jet Rider 2 at the same time as the first game on the old store when it was added (Jet MOTO for those in the US etc.) and for whatever reason when they added Jet Rider 2 I got a "Unavailable - You already own a conflicting product: Jet Rider 2" and I needed to call and explain the issue to PlayStation Support, it only recently got resolved and was up as "Free" like it should've been about a week or two ago. That is the only time it's happened to me though, and I remember seeing someone having a similar issue with a different game prior to this happening but can't remember what game it was for 🤷‍♂️

I confirm, all the games I have as Classics for the old store (PS3/PSP/PSVita) showed up as free on the PS4/PS5 Store. I also purchased Wild Arms on the old store after it already came out on PS4 / PS5 and it still worked as cross buy with the PS4 / PS5 versions. The only one that is not working yet for me is Cool Boarders, but they'll probably fix it

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Breakingthegreen said:

5 Game Remakes That Added A New Character For The Better (& 5 For The Worse)

This guy from the PSP version that won't shut up about camels and kebabs if you stand still for more than three seconds. He also sounds like someone doing an impression of Apu from the Simpsons but worse, (but I can't prove that it's not a real accent, his voice actor isn't revealed anywhere). I hate him more because he was annoying tbh, I expect offensive things in older games, but being irritating is a bad combination because I now struggle to ignore this dude.

He makes be wanna stick Dan's head in a river to flush him out.  

Hmm, i see

Medievil (PS1) and Medievil (PS4) are fairly identical, being a graphical remake, and also have identical trophy lists.

Resurrection is an 'expanded re-imagining' of the original with some new items - but the same characters and plot - and a different trophy list.

• Like 1