Delete your backlog CHALLENGE

Hi everybody.

Around one year ago I deleted my backlog. And with backlog I mean the Word document where I list all future games I want to platinum and I use to add in as soon as I knew from it's existance. 

It was not a thoughful decision by any means, I don't even remember why I did it but I guess I just thought it would be an impossible to finish them all at the pace it was growing in this lifetime. After every year more and more games were added than I use to finish so I thought there was no point in following that list anymore.

It was one of the best decisions I ever took and it improved my gaming quality life a lot.

Some of the games listed I was not even enjoying them. I was just playing them to reduce those numbers in that Word document and was feeling kind of "forced" to do it. I guess I was adding too many games as soon as they get announced and that I felt they MIGHT minimally provide me SOME enjoyment, whether it was the case or not (in many cases not)

Now I play whatever I want whenever I want. Still with the intention of platinum pretty much everything I play. I still think about the games I'm gonna play next but just the 3-4 next. Now I just go through other random ppl's profile here at the Psnprofiles home page and I see which games might interest me to create a "mental backlog". I feel way less stressed now.

To join and follow this challenge you should just follow these simple steps:

1 - Delete that backlog document from your desktop.

2 - Delete that backlog document from the recycle bin.

3 - Inform of your achievement in this thread.

4 - Play whatever you feel.

5 - Don't look back.

• Like 4

Oh, a challenge I'm good at!

- I don't have a backlog document, never had - check! ✔️
- I always play what I want to play - check! ✔️
- I can't miss what I didn't have - check! ✔️

In all seriousness though, as soon as you feel like playing games is a chore and more work than fun, take a step back and play whatever you feel like playing! Games are not a job, they're meant to be fun and relaxing after a tiring day or week :D 👌

• Like 1

That's true, I didn't know some people actually did this but I've seen a few who have extremely long list, with everything between 1 to 300 games (that they bought), to finish.

I thought the "backlog" was like, those games in the back of your mind that sometimes you wish to play; not actually buying dozens of games and keeping them in a box, or making a list of them.

I had a list for a while of a few games I wanted to play and ended up not paying attention to it for the same reason. It feels like a job instead of a hobby, which is not the idea.

Just play whatever you want as long as you enjoy it, that's the best mindset.

Edited by Jeanolt
  • Like 1

Done, and tbh I still have that ache in the back of my mind, the "oh but some are almost done" or "what if some had multiplayer" or whatever.  It is definitely a weight and not enjoyable, so it needs to go 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jeanolt said:

I thought the "backlog" was like, those games in the back of your mind that sometimes you wish to play; not actually buying dozens of games and keeping them in a box, or making a list of them.

For me backlog is just a list of games you want to platinum, wether you bought them or not 🙂

Thought it was extremely common around here.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2024 at 12:32 AM, Jeanolt said:

That's true, I didn't know some people actually did this but I've seen a few who have extremely long list, with everything between 1 to 300 games (that they bought), to finish.

I had a list for a while of a few games I wanted to play and ended up not paying attention to it for the same reason. It feels like a job instead of a hobby, which is not the idea.

Just play whatever you want as long as you enjoy it, that's the best mindset.

A "backlog" is right there in the word...you have a catalog of something that has now backed up. It's not about it being a job...the backlog happened, at least for me, for two reasons. 1. Sales. Since I don't buy anything full price anyways...with the amount of games that have come out (that I AM interested in) kept growing year by year, once they went on sale I'd scoop them up. and 2. PS+. I've been subbed consistently since March of 2012 and have added nearly every monthly game we've ever gotten to my library since then. They add up. 

I won't partake in the challenge because I don't see the backlog as a bad thing. Besides, deleting a list doesn't mean the games aren't still there. It's a wonderful problem to have...an entire list of games (in my case my backlog is a little over 200 games deep, out of nearly 1900 to choose from) that I have access to. Will I play them all? Highly unlikely, but if I want to play it, it's there to play. It's nice knowing that when it comes time to move on to the next thing, there's always something to play. In turn, I'm still playing whatever I want to play anyways...200+ games to choose from a backlog, it's not like I'm looking at something I don't currently have and saying "well this is all crap, I want that other game I haven't bought yet...now I can't enjoy myself". 

Edited by Viper

On 4/8/2024 at 10:53 PM, BEAST_IHMOTEP said:

Hi everybody.

Around one year ago I deleted my backlog. And with backlog I mean the Word document where I list all future games I want to platinum and I use to add in as soon as I knew from it's existance. 

It was not a thoughful decision by any means, I don't even remember why I did it but I guess I just thought it would be an impossible to finish them all at the pace it was growing in this lifetime. After every year more and more games were added than I use to finish so I thought there was no point in following that list anymore.

It was one of the best decisions I ever took and it improved my gaming quality life a lot.

Some of the games listed I was not even enjoying them. I was just playing them to reduce those numbers in that Word document and was feeling kind of "forced" to do it. I guess I was adding too many games as soon as they get announced and that I felt they MIGHT minimally provide me SOME enjoyment, whether it was the case or not (in many cases not)

Now I play whatever I want whenever I want. Still with the intention of platinum pretty much everything I play. I still think about the games I'm gonna play next but just the 3-4 next. Now I just go through other random ppl's profile here at the Psnprofiles home page and I see which games might interest me to create a "mental backlog". I feel way less stressed now.

To join and follow this challenge you should just follow these simple steps:

1 - Delete that backlog document from your desktop.

2 - Delete that backlog document from the recycle bin.

3 - Inform of your achievement in this thread.

4 - Play whatever you feel.

5 - Don't look back.

I've just begun my platinum journey. You commented on my other post. I'm not really into multiplayer games and I'm only aiming for games that don't have a difficulty trophy attached. I do have a pretty deep list though.

Backlog should be viewed as a fun way to clean your progress. If that makes sense. 

Not everyday you're the same person. Today you might feel like quitting trophy hunting then tomorrow you enjoy doing them. It all depends on your mood and perceptive at the present.

I enjoy trophy hunting when I don't feel stressed. Also, taking my sweet time helps the enjoyment aswell.

Edited by Remain-Vigilant