Kill Your Completion - Catch 22

On 4/29/2024 at 11:40 AM, Psy-Tychist said:

I'm going to come back again for my 10th KYC event.

This time I'm going to give some love to the Non-Platinum games and have 6 games which don't include that shiny Platinum.

1. Submerged
  2. Subject 13

Two games I have played in past KYC events!

Submerged was actually a pleasant surprise, with an engaging story told without dialogue. A mix of exploration and platforming.

Subject 13 is a clunky mess, and if you any adverse reactions to Minesweeper, than I’d advise picking something else. It was a game I was glad to be done with when the final trophy popped. 

Just realized I haven’t entered my list! 😱

A bit of background, I have been prepping for this event for the past few weeks. I realized I was coming upon my 150th platinum, and wanted to get that out of the way before May. So I revisited some games to get some plats. Where the Water Tastes Like Wine was a KYC game that glitched on me a year or so ago. :shakefist:  It’s a 100% story driven game that was intriguing, but infuriating that it came with a glitched trophy. I erased all saved data, and just replayed a full three hours to get the final nagging trophy that relies on RNG for No. 149. If you are interested in a plat run, I can tell you how to avoid the glitch, 
  Before that, I played Hello Neighbor 2 which should be retitled the Goodbye Neighbor series as I refuse to come near any other game from that garbage dump. I very quickly learned a walkthrough is a requirement to get through the game, and even with that help, it still sucks as if you get caught, all items in your cache go back to their original spots. Holy backtracking Hell!!

For No. 150, I went with The Crew 2. The funny thing is, I favored the original over this one, yet I have sunk over 200 hours into the sequel. Ubisoft seems to be a favorite whipping boy around these forums, but I credit them in that they kept adding new and fresh content to this game to make it very fun and entertaining long after the trophies had been attained. 

On to the list!

May 1-5: Ultimate General: Gettysburg. Ever since Panzer General on the original PlayStation, I have loved military strategy games. The good ones are hard to find on consoles, but reviews seem to make this one seem playable.

May 6-10: A Plague Tale: Innocence.  Been sitting in my To Do box forever, when it was a PS+ game from years ago. I hope it’s mor history than horror.

May 11-15: Joe Wander and the Enigmatic Adventures.  PG version of Uncharted but without guns? No idea what to expect.

May 16-20: PGA Tour 2K23. Need to start playing this before the MP trophies are unattainable. Probably my 20th golf game in my gaming career. 

May 21-25: Rustler. Reviews say it’s Medieval version of Bully. Never played original, but let’s start some mayhem!

May 26-31: Assassin’s Creed Odyssey.  I’m three games behind in this series and that ain’t right! My favorite series of all-time and I’m curious how they tackle the Hellenistic world. 

Good luck to all! Happy gaming!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

May 6-10: A Plague Tale: Innocence.  Been sitting in my To Do box forever, when it was a PS+ game from years ago. I hope it’s mor history than horror.

There's a lot of horror.

Figured I'd rip off that Band-aid quickly.

It's a story driven game. I'm in the middle of the sequel right now, played the first game on my Deck. Don't go expecting a lot of history lessons. They're great games but not that.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Okay, I have finalized my list for the event. I am going to submit it now and hope it gets approved before it hits midnight.

I have decided to pull both PS3 games off the list, as I don't trust the PS3 I got to work and if the save data corrupts and I lose all my progress, I'll have to do it all over again, so I replaced LEGO Batman 2 and Ni No Kuni with other games. One of those is a PS Vita game as that means I do not have to pack my PS4 Pro and take it with me to Utah. I'm not sure the hotel will allow me to use their TV for video gaming so I will take my Nintendo Switch Lite and my Playstation Vita and play those in the hotel or during the marathon so, since I don't want to report failure by not getting trophies during the marathon, I'll be downloading a PS Vita game when I get the money to do so(I'm sort of in the black right now, I need to save my money for the trip on the 19th. I'll be back on the 22nd. ;))

Here is my finalized list:

May 1-3: LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham

May 4-6: Nexomon Extinction

May 7-9: Trials of Mana

May 10-12: Chrono Cross: Radical Dreamers Edition

May 13-15: Dragon Quest XI S: Definitive Edition

May 16-18: LEGO DC Super Villains

May 19-21: Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention

May 22-24: Final Fantasy VIII Remastered

May 25-27: Final Fantasy XI: The Zodiac Age

May 28-31: Dark Cloud 2

Good luck to everyone in the event! :D

EDIT: Oops! Forgot to post my starting completion percentage! My starting % is 90.40%.

Edited by ProfSeajay7
  • Like 2

Game #1 - Baldur's Gate (Enhanced Edition) - Preview

L4eead5.png

Developer: Overhaul Games

Publisher: Skybound Games

Genre: CRPG

Price: 54,99 (includes BG2 and BG SoD as well)

Well, couldn't sleep anymore, so I might as well get the preview out of the way, as I'm not sure I'll have time to play much today.

I've played the original Baldur's Gate back in the day, and it was my favorite game for close to 20 years. Now I want to give it a go on consoles and as I've played the Icewind Dale and Plancescape Torment bundle already, I'm expecting it to at least be a good port.

CRPGs are one of my favorite genres in general, having played several so far. Some that I enjoyed less, like Neverwinter Nights series, the Shadowrun trilogy, Atom RPG and Dustwind. Then there's the solid ones like Planescape Torment, Torment Tides of Numenara and Pathfinder Kingmaker and Beautiful Desolation. Thankfully there are several excellent ones as well, like the Fallout 1 and 2, Swordcoast Legends and Pillars of Eternity and of course Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 (at least on PC).

So the reliving of the adventure begins, looking forward to complete all the quests once more, getting all the companions and visit every area.

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm awake too and it's only 3:20 AM. :lol: I'm having a sh**ton of trouble sleeping because my throat is sore and I am constantly stuffed up and coughing up, so I might as throw out my first preview as well. ;)

Game #1 - LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham

L263c20.png

Developer: Traveler's Tales

Publisher: WB Games, DC Comics

Genre: Platform, Adventure

Price on PSN Store: $19.99

This game was part of a Playstation 4 bundle I got which had my previous PS4, a code for LittleBigPlanet 3, and this game as a physical copy. I proceeded to misplace the code for LittleBigPlanet 3 which bummed me out. (Back then I was a huge LittleBigPlanet fan and made some really hilarious trailers in LittleBigPlanet 2 like a trailer for a level based on the Food Network content "Worst Cooks in America" which had an import JPEG of burnt macaroni which the Sackbots cowered at. Ah, those were the days! :lol:) So I started playing this game and loved it. That was also my first LEGO game and got me addicted to the brand. I've platinumed a lot of LEGO games over the years but I still hold a torch to this classic. Before this game came into my hands, the last time I saw the DC Universe in a video game was Scribblenauts: Unmasked, which wasn't interesting to me, but both games did make me interested in DC as a whole and while a lot of people are Spidey fans thanks to another game company I love(Insomniac, made the awesome Ratchet and Clank series), my heart is always going to remember the Golden Age of Comics with Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman. ;)

And yes, after the event, I will be re-purchasing all five DLC story packs. ^_^

• Like 3

15 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

Submerged was actually a pleasant surprise, with an engaging story told without dialogue. A mix of exploration and platforming.

Subject 13 is a clunky mess, and if you any adverse reactions to Minesweeper, than I’d advise picking something else. It was a game I was glad to be done with when the final trophy popped. 

I apprciate the heads up!

Submerged as been a game I have wanted to play for a while, so now is as good a time as any.

Subject13 intrigues me, so I'll take your point and see if I feel the same way.

Onwards!

Just as a reminder to anyone who is curious why I am 😓 during this month, let me re-iterate my plans for this month:

I will be setting a timer for an hour and playing the game on the list until the timer beeps. By setting aside an hour per day, I will have put in three hours for each game(four for the last one because, well, May has 31 days), and after that... I am done with this account for the day.

Yep, I will not allow myself to play any games on this account other than the ones on the list.

I'm not expecting people to follow my style, but the reason I am doing this is, well... the event is called KILL your completion, not 'cherry tap your completion and then put a band-aid on it by getting platinums in games.' Last time I did this event, my completion wasn't hurt at all, it actually rose because I was clearing undone games.

Not this year.

This year, I am going to take an axe to the damn profile and thoroughly, utterly dismember it like that guy did to that corpse to feed Seymour in the remake of Little Shop of Horrors:devil: I am going to KILL my completion and that can't happen if other games are getting trophies as that raises completion, so all other games are put on ice until this month is over and then we can assess the damage. On the bright side, this means that I will have plenty of games to use for my list for Summer Backlog 2024. :lol:

That said, I am not going to end up with nothing to do after I log out of my account for the day. I have two other accounts with games, and mostly I'll be busy working on my second account, playing FFXIV to get my character ready for Dawntrail by clearing the main scenario quests, building relic weapons, getting cool glam, etc. But there are single-player games I can work towards.

Also, on May 19, I will give my preview for the game I will be playing, but I won't be on the forums until the 22nd. This is because I am going to take a plane to Salt Lake City to attend a special gaming event by RPG Limit Break, aka their annual charity marathon. The event lasts a week but I'll only be there for three days(my plane to Utah will launch at 12:10 PM, and the plane back will launch at 10:51 AM, and I'll be checked out of the hotel by then) and I won't be able to access a computer for those days, so I will have to catch up, but when I get back on the 22nd I will give my review of the game I played, then add more to the post with the preview of the next game in the list. I won't be able to review the game on the 21st as I will not have access to the Internet, but I will give it on the 22nd if that is okay.

Anyways, I wish all you people good luck in destroying your completion! ^_^

• Like 2

I'd also like to join again (hopefully I'm not too late since it looks like today is the last day). I failed to fully finish my list last time due to some unexpected health issues that popped up. But I'm back and ready to destroy my completion percentage.

My list is:

1. Goat Simulator 

2. Star Wars Battlefront Classic Collection 

3. Lego 2K Drive

4. Sable

5. Final Fantasy XVI

Starting Percentage: 58.45%

• Like 4

@MarkusT1992 - Lego City Undercover is my favorite Lego title. You have to be a collectible masochist to plat it, but so much fun. If they did a PS5 version, I’d replay it in a second.

@grumpaluffagus_1 - Heads-up on Lego 2K Drive. To plat it, you will have about 25-30 hours of rubber banding to do to get the mileage trophies. It’s one of the dumbest trophies I have ever come across. Story and collectible run  takes around 30 hours, and then the true grind begins. I would recommend grinding out miles with the test drive method and occasionally hitting X for boost to avoid the game shutting down for idleness. I watched sports and read books as my PS5 ran in the background. Best of luck! 

1 hour ago, PerryToxteth said:

@MarkusT1992 - Lego City Undercover is my favorite Lego title. You have to be a collectible masochist to plat it, but so much fun. If they did a PS5 version, I’d replay it in a second.

@grumpaluffagus_1 - Heads-up on Lego 2K Drive. To plat it, you will have about 25-30 hours of rubber banding to do to get the mileage trophies. It’s one of the dumbest trophies I have ever come across. Story and collectible run  takes around 30 hours, and then the true grind begins. I would recommend grinding out miles with the test drive method and occasionally hitting X for boost to avoid the game shutting down for idleness. I watched sports and read books as my PS5 ran in the background. Best of luck! 

I have platinumed LEGO City Undercover a few times, it's a great original property but Twelve forfend, the lists of collectibles connected to EACH ABILITY for EACH OF THE DISTRICTS is so painfully large. :(

2 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

I don't mind collecting lots of stuff in games. I normaly listen to a podcast while doing those things. As long as everything is marked on the map or in some other way ingame thats fine.

For my starting stats I offer this:

Games Played: 382

Completed Games: 213

Unearned Trophies: 5388

Completion: 61,95%

My first game will be Jak and Daxter: The Lost Frontier. Having played the entire series except for Jax X this is the second to last one I have to plat. It actually was a surprise that this game got released recently as part of the ps+ extra/premium tier. I remeber renting it from the library many many years ago but I havn't played much of it. I can't really remember anything about that game. What I do remember is that the case for that game was orange.

• Like 1

I've played an hour of my first game and a little bit of Assassin's Creed Mirage, I'll update later.

I spotted the new PS+ Essential games for this month. A buddy of mine played Tunic and thought it was 'kick-ass', so it'll be my official replacement for I Am Dead. Not that my list in @voodoo_eyes's first post is meant to be taken as set in stone.

I totally forgot to put down the rest of my stats which are now skewed because I started playing my list. Is that a bad thing? :(

Let me try to reconstruct the stats:

Games Played: 134

Games Completed: 118

Completion: 90.40%

Unearned Trophies: 521

16 hours ago, grumpaluffagus_1 said:

I'd also like to join again (hopefully I'm not too late since it looks like today is the last day). I failed to fully finish my list last time due to some unexpected health issues that popped up. But I'm back and ready to destroy my completion percentage.

My list is:

1. Goat Simulator 

2. Star Wars Battlefront Classic Collection 

3. Lego 2K Drive

4. Sable

5. Final Fantasy XVI

Starting Percentage: 58.45%

Added you to the list of participants, made it just in time ;).

spacer.png

Game #1: Trials Of The Blood Dragon

Playtime: about an hour

Trophy completion: 4/21, weighed as 9%

I liked the earlier Trials games (Fusion was the last I played a lot of, and I played the demo of the one after that but lost interest very quickly), never got around to playing this one but I knew it was a tie-in to the Far Cry Blood Dragon game, and both are insane eighties games.

In the hour of playtime I did the first two "chapters", and some bonus stuff.

I really liked it. The non-bike segments were a surprise, and look like a simpler My Friend Pedro, but they're fun. There's an over the top excuse plot but the gameplay is great, like usual with Trials games, and the occasional gunplay doesn't feel like a downside. I wouldn't have missed it but I don't mind that it's there.

spacer.png

Bonus game: Assassin's Creed Mirage 

Playtime: about half an hour

Trophy completion: 0/51 so far

Played a bit of the prologue. I was into Assassin's Creed a lot but Ubisoft being Ubisoft has burned me out. I knew this game was supposed to be what I want in an Assassin's Creed game but I just couldn't get myself to play it, until a good enough sale happened.

I like it so far and from what I see I will definitely enjoy it a lot, but the game immediately pushes a bunch of annoying kids on me. I don't know what everyone here thinks but in my opinion the AC series from Origins onwards pushes kid characters hard, to show the main character is good or something, but I always think these characters get very bad dialogue and very bad actors.

Other than those kids, the game feels fun indeed, and it's always nice to hear Shohreh Aghdashloo's voice.

- END OF DAY 1 -

I figured I'd start a list of the PS+ games I'm playing, and order them from most to least likely to be picked up again after the event is over. It's a boring list for now, but:

1) Trials Of The Blood Dragon

• Like 3

I wanted to start Ghosts Of Tsushima right now, but it apparently needs a big update. My second choice needs a big update too.

Curiously, I did give my PS5 permission to keep all games updated all the time. I guess it only does that for the bunch that is on the starting page.

1 hour ago, Oobedoob S Benubi said:

I wanted to start Ghosts Of Tsushima right now, but it apparently needs a big update. My second choice needs a big update too.

Curiously, I did give my PS5 permission to keep all games updated all the time. I guess it only does that for the bunch that is on the starting page.

Oof, sorry to hear that. :(

16 minutes ago, ProfSeajay7 said:

Oof, sorry to hear that. :(

Thanks, but no worries, I just needed something to pass the time while I was waiting in the digital queue for tickets to next year's Celebration. Ended up playing some Stardew Valley on my Deck instead, and the two games have been updated now so I can play one of them (or both) tomorrow.

Posted (edited)

My first game is done, so here we go with the first review! I'm going to upload an image I doctored with the last trophy I earned before the three-day session ended.

kycreport01.jpg

REVIEW:

This game was the first Playstation 4 game I had ever played. It came with my last PS4 in a bundle which also had a code for LittleBigPlanet 3. I lost that code so I unsealed this game and actually enjoyed it. I had never really been into superheroes much, though I had watched the old 1960's Batman show on Nickelodeon as a kid, so I was  a bit biased. Still, this original story was amazing. I have managed to clear the first eight story levels, so I have gotten halfway through the story. I also got the trophy for filling the stud meter to get True Hero status on one level, don't remember which one it was though. I did get a few minikits by accident, but I didn't go out of my way for collectibles.

This is basically going to be par for the course when I reach the second LEGO game on my list, LEGO DC Super Villains, but the game play is basic. Batman, Robin, Lex Luthor and Cyborg get various abilities on their suits like climbing up magnetic walls, hiding from enemies and hacking computers. Then you have the other superheroes like Wonder Woman and Superman who can fly. Before Princess Peach's cowboy costume could lasso enemies and throw them about, the original woman hero, Wonder Woman, could do that without any fancy cowboy costume. :lol: You have a team of three heroes in each level so you have a lot of variety.

Rating is 8.5 out of 10, because the characters move so slowly and in some levels you get attacked by swarms of enemies.

I'll be putting up my preview for the second game in my next post.

Review Score: 8/10

Completion Progress: 89.57% (-0.83%)

Edited by ProfSeajay7
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Was hoping someone would post, oh well. :|

Since nobody posted, I might as well put up the preview of my next game.

Game #2: Nexomon Extinction

Lca45da.png

Developer: VEWO Interactive Inc.

Publisher: PQube

Genre: RPG, Adventure, Indie, Monster Taming

Price on PSN Store: $19.99

This is the sequel to the original Nexomon game, which was sort of a pound-for-pound indie "clone of Pokemon." I put the fourth genre down there myself, because monster taming is a subset of RPGs that involves, like Pokemon and Dragon Quest V, the ability to capture/recruit enemy monsters and have them fight in your stead. You usually get a free monster to start fighting with. The Nexomon games utilize the type system Pokemon is famous for but has different types. This game added two new types - Psychic and Ghost - and is set many years after the original Nexomon ended. There are many returning characters from the original Nexomon, including the children of Omicron, the antagonist from the first game. But now we have enemies to deal with, especially after you get attacked by a giant Nexomon who nearly kills you until the hero from the first game saves your butt. That's all I am spoiling.

I have started both versions of the original Nexomon but stuff got in the way of me platinuming them. Therefore, for this three-day stint, I am going to be doing a challenge ripped from its inspiration, Pokemon...

maxresdefault.jpg

The Professor Oak challenge.

Basically, the gist is that you obtain every mon available before each major challenge. In Pokemon, those were the Pokemon gyms where you fought the leaders and got their badges. Here it's a little different since there are no gyms. I am going to be spending all three hours of my time with this game trying to get every Nexomon before the first major boss. Wish me luck. ;)

Edited by ProfSeajay7
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

After not having the time to play yesterday, today I decided to ¿Por qué ne los dos? the two games I tried to start thursday but both had big updates.

spacer.png

Game #2: Ghost Of Tsushima

Trophy completion: 1/77, weighed as 1%

I had this one on my radar for a while and my instincts were correct, I like it a lot. I've played the prologue, and will definitely play more after the event.

For those who don't know, the main appeal is that this is an open world samurai game. I've only played an hour but it seems very well put together.

spacer.png

Game #3: Power Wash Simulator

Playtime: about half an hour

Trophy completion: 1/71, weighed as 1%

One of the players in my tabletop was playing this a lot on Steam so I figured I'd give it a go, but halfway through the second mission I realised I wasn't enjoying myself at all and I deleted the game.

When the game booted up I noticed it was made by FuturLab and I loved their Velocity series. Huge shame they never got a publisher interested in the third game in the series.

Ranking:

Definitely going to play more of

1) Ghost Of Tsushima

2) Trials Of The Blood Dragon

Already deleted

3) Power Wash Simulator

Edited by Oobedoob S Benubi
Formatting
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Oobedoob S Benubi said:

One of the players in my tabletop was playing this a lot on Steam so I figured I'd give it a go, but halfway through the second mission I realised I wasn't enjoying myself at all and I deleted the game.

I saw a video showing someone getting the platinum in this and they also hated it. I can see why, washing cars is so boring, not even a game with achievements on it will save it. :(

18 hours ago, ProfSeajay7 said:

I saw a video showing someone getting the platinum in this and they also hated it. I can see why, washing cars is so boring, not even a game with achievements on it will save it. :(

Yeah i thought "maybe it's appealing/relaxing in a way you don't understand unless you play" but the way it's done is just so... Bleh.

Anyway I'm about to start my fourth game and I have no clue what it'll be yet, I'll check my list from the first page and see what I habe downloaded already.

Posted (edited)

spacer.png

Game #4: Maneater

Trophy completion: 4/45, weighed as 4%

Pinging @Psy-Tychist since I remember they were curious about my opinion on this one.

It's dumb fun. Not everything needs to have a *Godfather* level story, sometimes you just want to be a shark jumping on boats and biting humans in half. It's why I got so confused by the people behind the upcoming Tomb Raider tabletop, who made an intricate social system for the game to the point of avoiding combat, and putting respect for the locals and environment on the foreground. It's called "Tomb Raider", if you're not plundering ancient artefacts while massacring local wildlife, you're doing it wrong.

I'm definitely going to play more of this cheesiness. I don't know yet if I care enough to go for trophy completion but at this rate I'm definitely seeing the end of the story at least. The game is a bit unpolished and obviously not AAA, but it's not too bothersome. Being a shark is just fun.

Ranking:

Definitely going to play more of

1) Ghost Of Tsushima

2) Maneater

3) Trials Of The Blood Dragon

Already deleted

4) Power Wash Simulator

Edited by Oobedoob S Benubi
Forgot to add the name at the top
  • Like 3