Failing hard drive?

Mimikite

My audio a few weeks ago was fine until its started to cut in and out with loud sounds. and now there is no audio no matter what settings I change.

Edited by Mimikite

If you play a game without patches and run it from disc only, you can pin-point whether or not its the disc drive.

Also try rebuilding database (NOT the same as formatting the system).

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Eraezr said:

If you play a game without patches and run it from disc only, you can pin-point whether or not its the disc drive.

Also try rebuilding database (NOT the same as formatting the system).

I play game on the hdd and there is no sound I also have tried rebuilding database no luck 

Strange, do you use the same HDMI cable in that console for the others? 

Although just the audio breaking on a HDMI cable isnt something that is very common.

You could check the settings but an HDD failure likely isnt linked to audio issues in games.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, eva-trice said:

Strange, do you use the same HDMI cable in that console for the others? 

Although just the audio breaking on a HDMI cable isnt something that is very common.

You could check the settings but an HDD failure likely isnt linked to audio issues in games.

I do and those work just fine!

This could be multiple different things. 

First thing I would do if you already haven't is go to settings and reset to default settings.

If the audio sometimes temporarily works then if it's the hdmi port wiggle the HDMI in the PS3 left right and slightly put pressure up and down, if the audio pops on and off then it's the port. If not then it could be a capacitor on the board that's faulty. It's also possible the frequency is set too high in settings, have a look and make sure only the lowest is set, 44khz I think it is. 

There's a small chance something in the firmware is corrupted, try reinstalling it. 

There's 3 other choices of audio if all else fails, AV, Optical which is what I use, or a compatible headset. 

• Like 1