Sega reacquires Shenmue trademark, HD collection back on track?

Lady Lilith

http://segabits.com/blog/2014/05/22/rumor-sega-renews-the-shenmue-trademark-could-shenmue-hd-be-back-on-track/

segabits-shenmue-600x450.jpg

Via NeoGAF and hokanko-alt.com comes news that SEGA has renewed the trademark for Shenmue. Fans will probably remember that back in February we reported that SEGA had lost the trademark for Shenmue – specifically in reference to “computer game programs and prerecorded discs and ROMs for computer game programs” and “entertainment services, namely, providing an online computer game”. We speculated that these trademarks refer to the original Dreamcast releases and the cancelledShenmue Online. While we don’t have the specifics on this new trademark filing, such as country of origin or the specific uses, it is possible that SEGA has gotten back on track with releasing the rumored Shenmue 1&2 HD rerelease. Both games have been rumored to be complete and ready for release for quite some time, and back in 2012 when asked what the next SEGA Heritage releases would be, SEGA responded with “it’s gonna be Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia as well”.

Of course, this is speculation on our part, but if SEGA truly has renewed the Shenmue trademark then they must be making some sort of use out of it. As soon as we learn more, we’ll be sure to share it! For now, we’re filing this as a rumor, even if the trademark renewal is legitimate.

This would be nice, but I'm honestly more excited for a Skies of Arcadia HD port with GCN extras, if only because I haven't played too much of Shenmue.

I would absolutely love to see Shenmue and Shenmue II in HD on the PlayStation 4 but I doubt we'll see it happen. If it does though, my year will be made. Those two games are some of the greatest games ever made, in my opinion, and it would be fantastic to experience them in HD with better graphics and a better framerate. 

Of course if they release the first two games in HD that means they have to finish the third one and finally release that too. But again, I doubt that will ever happen as unfortunate as that is. 

Parker

• Like 4

I would love Shenmue I & II HD to be released, but I would prefer it to be on the PS3. :P

39215-grumpy-cat-no-Rwoe.jpeg

Hell, at this point I'd take it on the PS3 too. But with the way Sega has been acting lately it will be a Wii U exclusive and then they'll complain about poor sales.

Parker

39215-grumpy-cat-no-Rwoe.jpeg

Hell, at this point I'd take it on the PS3 too. But with the way Sega has been acting lately it will be a Wii U exclusive and then they'll complain about poor sales.

Parker

Please this clearly an Xbox One "Promised 1080p" exclusive.