Interesting Questions... I Think?

A friend of mine broke the fan connector straight off the motherboard while attempting to clean it. He's planning on heading to Walmart to buy a new one then swap out the motherboard from the new one and replace it with the old motherboard with the broken fan connector and return it for a full refund. He's obviously going to keep the original shell so that the serial number matches the receipt when he returns the "new" console. I know it's a pretty grimy thing to do but he doesn't give a shit. Hell, neither do I, to be truly honest here.

Sooooo.... in case I ever need to do this, how exactly does this work on Sony's end? Would they know if a console that was registered as returned is still being used? Would they even know in the first place; do they keep track of all that?

24 minutes ago, TheDarkKratos said:

Why not just fix it? It's a surprisingly straightforward procedure...

Reveal hidden contents

This^

I would just get it fixed, rather than doing something scummy/morally and potentially legally dubious else it wouldn't sit right with me and my conscience.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MrTacoNinja said:

Sooooo.... in case I ever need to do this, how exactly does this work on Sony's end? Would they know if a console that was registered as returned is still being used? Would they even know in the first place; do they keep track of all that?

Yes, Sony can connect hardware serial numbers to accounts. Back in the day, only 5 devices could be registered per account and people would need to drop all 5 to register a new one, then go back and register the ones they want. I don’t think that’s been a thing for a while, so it’s probably fine.