S Rank

For anyone going for the S rank, just wanted to let it be known that Large Med Kits count as using 2 "healing" items (assume because of the heal and the antidote combo) I got to the end having used 4 of them and it showed 8 heals used. 

Also I got the S rank using 8 "heals"/ no hints/ all secrets/ no extra lives....but then I re-fought the final boss and used an additional small and large med kit and it showed I had 11 heals used, and it gave me an A+ instead 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Beast_Mode255 said:

For anyone going for the S rank, just wanted to let it be known that Large Med Kits count as using 2 "healing" items (assume because of the heal and the antidote combo) I got to the end having used 4 of them and it showed 8 heals used. 

Also I got the S rank using 8 "heals"/ no hints/ all secrets/ no extra lives....but then I re-fought the final boss and used an additional small and large med kit and it showed I had 11 heals used, and it gave me an A+ instead 

Thank you for this!! Important to keep in mind those numbers!

Just curious, how long was your playthrough?

2 hours ago, NoMoreUpdates said:

Thank you for this!! Important to keep in mind those numbers!

Just curious, how long was your playthrough?

My first playthrough was about 8 and a half I think (I usually go super slow on first playthroughs, take my time and enjoy the game and stuff) but my 2nd playthrough was only like 5 hours, which would've been lowered even more but I ended up going and finding all 42 crystal crows for fun lol 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Optinooby said:

You do NOT need All 15 Secrets for S rank!!

Whats great about this? Well means you can totally avoid the Mush Room secret as that usually wastes 4+ heals. The Mush Room secret usually deals 1 full health bar full of damage, a half health bar and can also poison you!

My results so far:

Rank A - Heals Used 20, Secrets Found 14/15, Hints Spent 0, Lives Used 0.

Rank A+ - Heals Used 9, Secrets Found 14/15, Hints Spent 0, Lives Used 0.

Rank A+ - Heals Used 11, Secrets Found 15/15, Hints Spent 0, Lives Used 0.

Rank S - Heals Used 8, Secrets Found 14/15, Hints Spent 0, Lives Used 0.

Rank S - Heals Used 10, Secrets Found 15/15, Hints Spent 0, Lives Used 0.

Rank S+ - Heals Used 3, Secrets Found 14/15, Hints Spent 0, Lives Used 0.

What i'm doing is leaving Mush Room till last, then can make a save. Get that secret, heal and get the trophy, then quit, reload and carry on.

I think the grading works with some sort of point system, why a lot of guides are already saying, "you MUST get ALL 15 secrets for S rank"!!

For example 4 Heals is -20 points, 5 Heals is -25 points. And 14 Secrets is +55 points, 15 Secrets is +60 points etc etc.

And say for S Rank you need 110 points as an example.

I've still got a bit more messing to do to properly understand the grading system, but glad to see that you can avoid the Mush Room secret!

Also, the pool of water at the end doesn't seem to count as a heal.

If you want to get the Mush Room secret without reloading, then it could be a good idea to wait until you get the Med Kit Improved upgrade!

Oh shit might do that, I have a save before Mush Room and another after, I lose about 20 minutes of time but it might be worth it for the S+, thanks 

3 hours ago, Optinooby said:

Whats great about this? Well means you can totally avoid the Mush Room secret as that usually wastes 4+ heals.

The Mush Room secret usually deals 1 full health bar full of damage, a half health bar and a half health bar+poison. Though these seem a bit random, but this is the worst of had from the 3 bad mushrooms.

My results so far:

Healing Item effectiveness btw:

Med Kit - 25% health regain, counts as 1 healing item used.

Med Kit Improved - 50% health regain, counts as 1 used.

Large Med Kit - Full health regain and cures poison, counts as 2 used.

Antidote - Cures poison, counts as 1 used.

Spring - Full health, counts as 0 used.

What i'm doing is leaving Mush Room till last, then can make a save. Get that secret, heal and get the trophy, then quit, reload and carry on.

I think the grading works with some sort of point system, why a lot of guides are already saying, "you MUST get ALL 15 secrets for S rank"!!

For example 4 Heals is -20 points, 5 Heals is -25 points. And 14 Secrets is +55 points, 15 Secrets is +60 points etc etc.

I've still got a bit more messing to do to properly understand the grading system, but glad to see that you can avoid the Mush Room secret!

If you want to get the Mush Room secret without reloading, then it could be a good idea to wait until you get the Med Kit Improved upgrade!

Wow! Thanks for the breakdown! Will def need for when I get to playing it 😊

3 hours ago, Optinooby said:

Whats great about this? Well means you can totally avoid the Mush Room secret as that usually wastes 4+ heals.

The Mush Room secret usually deals 1 full health bar full of damage, a half health bar and a half health bar+poison. Though these seem a bit random, but this is the worst of had from the 3 bad mushrooms.

My results so far:

Healing Item effectiveness btw:

Med Kit - 25% health regain, counts as 1 healing item used.

Med Kit Improved - 50% health regain, counts as 1 used.

Large Med Kit - Full health regain and cures poison, counts as 2 used.

Antidote - Cures poison, counts as 1 used.

Spring - Full health, counts as 0 used.

Do you plan a guide?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

There is a bug that makes S rank pretty easy. I completed the game with an A rank. I have unlocked Crownade Launcher. I reloaded an older save and activated the bonus weapon and completed the game from my latest save. For some reason my heals reset to 0, so I ended up with only 2 heals and an S+ rank

Edited by IBadDriverI

5 hours ago, IBadDriverI said:

There is a bug that makes S rank pretty easy. I completed the game with an A rank. I have unlocked Crownade Launcher. I reloaded an older save and activated the bonus weapon and completed the game from my latest save. For some reason my heals reset to 0, so I ended up with only 2 heals and an S+ rank

Could you break down the steps you took for this to work? I've tried a few combinations of new saves and reloading but it hasn't reset the heals. 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Oddbeard said:

Could you break down the steps you took for this to work? I've tried a few combinations of new saves and reloading but it hasn't reset the heals. 

Ok, I've tested it a few more times now and for some reason it doesn't work anymore. I'm 100% sure that I had already used 7 health items with the save file i used, so I decided to play again from this save file with the special weapon and I only ended up with 2 used health items. I created a tweet with the Platinum Trophy showing only two heals used.

Edited by IBadDriverI