Sony's PlayStation Now beta opens to all PS4 owners on July 31st (US and Canada ONLY)

Lady Lilith

Exactly.  This service is bad and they should feel bad. Here, take a look. 

BUviP4o.jpg

Courtesy of Doodles (PS360)

What I think is that they automatically put $30 for 90 days on every game... I know they wouldnt go through every game and put a set price

8 bucks for a week is not too bad, but if you were going to "rent" a game for 3 months, you might as well just buy it. Still, 8 bucks for a week is more than it costs to for me to rent a physical disc from the store up the street. And with most gamers being as economically savvy as we are, I don't think those prices are going to do Sony any favors.

Not sure how I feel about the pricing. It's great for some games, primarily shorter ones. It's the longer games that can take hundreds of hours to platinum that don't make any sense. Awesome if you just want to play a game, not great if you care about getting all the trophies. 

Exactly.  This service is bad and they should feel bad. Here, take a look. 

BUviP4o.jpg

Courtesy of Doodles (PS360)

That's bullshit! I can have unlimited rentals on three games a month at GameFly for just a few dollars more!

Edited by DarkStar83x
  • Like 1

People dont seem to realize that the pricing of games are not set by Sony but the game publishers, it even says so on the agreement bit which no one reads.

I read the agreement but I think it's just emotions running high in this place. What I don't get is how is the 4 hours pack which costs around $2.99-$499 going to work out considering paying a few more dollars for 7 days. The price range seems off. I don't really care because it's not as bad because Sony did not arrange these prices but people who don't read or skim the agreement will be annoyed at this.   

I read the agreement but I think it's just emotions running high in this place. What I don't get is how is the 4 hours pack which costs around $2.99-$499 going to work out considering paying a few more dollars for 7 days. The price range seems off. I don't really care because it's not as bad because Sony did not arrange these prices but people who don't read or skim the agreement will be annoyed at this.

I mentioned this elsewhere.

The 4 hour rental can be used for games like, say, Final Fantasy XIII. Rent it for a couple of hours for $3 - $5 dollars and see if you like it, then either rent it for an extended time, or flat out buy it.

--

Unrelated to the quoted post:

In regards to the $30 price point - people are forgetting that this is for RENTING the games. It's always more expensive to rent than it is to buy. Always. Even something like Gamefly - which is nearly $16 a month for 1 game out at a time - shakes out to be $48 for the same 3 month period.

791d9192b0.png

Hell, even RedBox would be more expensive - a LOT more expensive ( $2 per day. So, to rent the same game for that same amount of time would cost you $180. )

So yeah, you CAN buy the game cheaper - but that's not what this service is about. This is about being able to rent and play Playstation games on devices that can't play them. IE: Playing FF13 on your Vita, or Oddworld: Strangers Wrath on a TV not connected to a PS3. $30 to be able to play a game for 90 days on 4 completely different devices, that otherwise couldn't play them, for a little more than 33 cents a day really isn't as bad as it sounds.

And that's ignoring the issue of physical rentals having limited supplies. RedBox doesn't carry every game, and Gamefly requires you to wait for your game to be delivered, and for when it's actually available.

PSNow eliminates those issues by allowing you to rent the games digitally ( No waiting ), and allowing you to rent pretty much any game you want.

Second of all - these aren't final prices. They are testing a *range* of prices - which are all set by the publishers/developers - to see what might be feasible. The point of a beta isn't just testing software - it's about user feedback. Seeing what works and what doesn't. For things like this - that includes pricing models.

Lastly - and this is in regards to Plus - they don't *have* to give anything to Plus users in regards to Now. Expecting them to do so is like expecting a cable company to just give you Cinemax because you pay for HBO. Sure, they're both owned by the same company - but they are two diffent products.

It'd be nice if maybe they threw something our ( Plus members ) way, but don't hold your breath. If they go subscription based, you might see a bundle subscription or something - pay a bit more than the normal Plus price and get both services. Or perhaps offering select games for free alongside or in place of the IGC.

Edited by VicXOF

I mentioned this elsewhere.

The 4 hour rental can be used for games like, say, Final Fantasy XIII. Rent it for a couple of hours for $3 - $5 dollars and see if you like it, then either rent it for an extended time, or flat out buy it.

--

Unrelated to the quoted post:

In regards to the $30 price point - people are forgetting that this is for RENTING the games. It's always more expensive to rent than it is to buy. Always. Even something like Gamefly - which is nearly $16 a month for 1 game out at a time - shakes out to be $48 for the same 3 month period.

791d9192b0.png

Hell, even RedBox would be more expensive - a LOT more expensive ( $2 per day. So, to rent the same game for that same amount of time would cost you $180. )

So yeah, you CAN buy the game cheaper - but that's not what this service is about. This is about being able to rent and play Playstation games on devices that can't play them. IE: Playing FF13 on your Vita, or Oddworld: Strangers Wrath on a TV not connected to a PS3. $30 to be able to play a game for 90 days on 4 completely different devices, that otherwise couldn't play them, for a little more than 33 cents a day really isn't as bad as it sounds.

And that's ignoring the issue of physical rentals having limited supplies. RedBox doesn't carry every game, and Gamefly requires you to wait for your game to be delivered, and for when it's actually available.

PSNow eliminates those issues by allowing you to rent the games digitally ( No waiting ), and allowing you to rent pretty much any game you want.

Second of all - these aren't final prices. They are testing a *range* of prices - which are all set by the publishers/developers - to see what might be feasible. The point of a beta isn't just testing software - it's about user feedback. Seeing what works and what doesn't. For things like this - that includes pricing models.

Lastly - and this is in regards to Plus - they don't *have* to give anything to Plus users in regards to Now. Expecting them to do so is like expecting a cable company to just give you Cinemax because you pay for HBO. Sure, they're both owned by the same company - but they are two diffent products.

It'd be nice if maybe they threw something our ( Plus members ) way, but don't hold your breath. If they go subscription based, you might see a bundle subscription or something - pay a bit more than the normal Plus price and get both services. Or perhaps offering select games for free alongside or in place of the IGC.

Yes. But with Gamefly, you're getting as many games as you want within that period rather than one game for the same price.  IF PS now was like that, it would be worth it hands down, but in it's current state, I fail to see the worth at all.