Sony's PlayStation Now beta opens to all PS4 owners on July 31st (US and Canada ONLY)

Lady Lilith

http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/09/sony-playstation-now-beta/

e3sony_2539.jpg

While its E3 presser has mostly been about specific games like Little Big Planet 3 andDestiny, Sony has just given us a bit of good news about its game streaming service,PlayStation Now. Starting July 31st, all gamers in the US and Canada (excluding Hawaii and Alaska) will be able to join a full public beta of PS Now, assuming they have a PS4. PlayStation 3, Vita and "select" Sony TV owners (meaning you need the right TV model anda DualShock 3 controller to pair with it) will also be getting beta access shortly thereafter.

Update: Sony has pushed out a press release with pricing information for some of the service's games. There will be over 100 titles available, all for rent at prices between $2.99 and $19.99 available for varying periods of time. Subscription-style access is still off in the future, as is a "pilot service" for compatible Bravia TVs, or access in Asia and Europe.

What sorts of games can you look forward to streaming? Now's library boasts over 100 PS3 games, including: Dead Space 3Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes, Ultra Street Fighter 4 and Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus. The open beta follows the invitation-only private testing that launched back in January, and it means that the service is inching ever closer towards its official release. Let's hope we don't have much longer to wait.

PS+?

Edited by Lady Lilith

Not interested in a per-game rental mode, though I do understand why Sony is implementing this business model.

Maybe a monthly subscription for a catalogue of titles, similar to GameFly, but there's no way I'm paying $20 for one game for a month when I can buy it outright for the same price. We're talking about PS3 games on PS4, so they're not exactly the latest releases.

• Like 1

Title changed.  I don't see why people are so excited about this aside from if they don't have their PS3s hooked up for whatever reason...and there's no real reason not to have it hooked up, I mean it's still getting games, and a MUCH bigger library than the PS4.  If you never had a PS3 though...I can kind of see why you'd want this.

Not interested in a per-game rental mode, though I do understand why Sony is implementing this business model.

Maybe a monthly subscription for a catalogue of titles, similar to GameFly, but there's no way I'm paying $20 for one game for a month when I can buy it outright for the same price. We're talking about PS3 games on PS4, so they're not exactly the latest releases.

Same here.  Now if it's included in PS+ sub rather than us getting IGC shit, I'll be down so hard for this...though it's unlikely. 

$19.99 to rent a game seems a bit steep!? Will be interesting to see how this is shaping up when EU get a look in. I missed out on the PS3 so would love to play some of the games. 

Two of the biggies are headed to PS4 anyways so happy days!

• Like 1

Wouldn't be interested in it even if I had a PS4. I've said it once if not a thousand times already: my rights as a consumer for constant accessibility, availability, and ownership is not for sale. Investing in this is a slippery slope which will eventually rob you all of your freedom to play games at YOUR own leisure.

Edited by merciful84
  • Like 1

I was really hoping it would be subscription based (with a a discount for PS+ users) similar to Netflix. Those prices sound steep. Also, to only have options to rent a game is, in my opinion, complete BS. I wish there was at least an option for a lifetime purchase. Then the game could be added to a queue that shows games you have purchased.

Just my take on it, at least.

I would be happy to pay a couple of bucks to rent a game. Some countries do not allow video game renting services like Gamefly

Exactly.  This service is bad and they should feel bad. Here, take a look. 

BUviP4o.jpg

Courtesy of Doodles (PS360)

It definitely needs 'competitive' pricing to get me interested. If every game has the same prices for the same rental times it'd be stupid (demonstrated above). They need to be changed weekly etc to keep up to date, and actually make it better that just buying the game. Right now that seems unlikely, both Playstation and Xbox's stores are overpriced compared to places like Amazon.