Ubisoft "revamping" tailing system in Assassin's Creed Unity

http://kotaku.com/oh-good-theyre-fixing-the-worst-thing-about-assassins-1590203568

mp8dr651gtsn9tl6l2tb.jpg

There's a lot to like about Assassin's Creed, but the series also has a host of long-running annoyances, chief among them the infuriating way you've had to "tail" people from the shadows. So thank the heads of various religious faiths and beliefs that the way you do this is changing for the upcoming Assassin's Creed: Unity.

This IGN video says that the frustrating tail sequences and instant failstates which accompany them and that have plagued the series, especially in the last two games, are being modified. Theways they're being changed are a little vague - there's mention of alternate means of getting the same information - but I don't care what it is so long as I never have to enter another "magical glowing realm of whispers" ever again.

I rarely got too frustrated with tailing in ACIV, mainly it was in AC2 when I was just learning the ropes and AC3 being horrible in general.

They were most annoying, IMO, when the person you were tailing would stop for an extended conversation, and you were just sat there, doing nothing... Overall, the sequences were "ok" but overused. One or two per AC game and we'll be back on track.

If I were designing an AC game, I'd just make the objective more general, and the routes to achieve that objective more organic in how it plays out. So if your mission is to kill some guy, and he spots you when you try to tail him home he becomes much more paranoid and stops going out on foot. Then, you could just find out where he will be and when by, I dunno, intercepting his mail, bribing his chauffeur, or forging an invitation from one of his trusted friends. Or you could do that to start with and forget the tailing.

Setting up an ambush in any one of these ways would be preferable to an infinitude of the tailing sections.

Edit: I realise this organic approach might not work within the games' fiction though. I mean, the animus lets you re-play memories, not re-define how the ancestor-assassin did what he did. (Another reason to give up on the present day nonsense they keep putting in there.)

Edited by StrickenBiged
  • Like 1

This sounds great to me. I remember one of my biggest issues while playing Brotherhood was feeling at times like the stealth was being so forced by very specific routes and methods needing to be used and instantly failing otherwise. The whole "It didn't happen this way, de-synchronisation" thing was always just an annoyance. I'm sure the assassins didn't also spend hours pointlessly faffing about on rooftops killing random guards and searching for collectibles for no reason between assassinations but I can do it anyway because I want to.

I find it remarkable that Ubisoft neglects the feedback of the players and doesn't 'revamp' the battle system instead. Ubisoft could learn a thing or two of the Batman series, it would really add a little depth to the gameplay.

I never had any trouble with tailing targets really

I find it remarkable that Ubisoft neglects the feedback of the players and doesn't 'revamp' the battle system instead. Ubisoft could learn a thing or two of the Batman series, it would really add a little depth to the gameplay.

I never had any trouble with tailing targets really

AC3 was the low point in the series for me. However, the battle system was the one thing I felt Ubi did right in that particular game. Then they made some tweaks on it with AC4 and ruined the progress that they made. :|

I don't think it's that the tailing is particularly difficult. It's just really boring especially when you have to do it for an entire sequence. Do it once or twice per game max and be done with it.