Meet SteamBoy, The Portable Steam Machine

Lady Lilith

http://kotaku.com/meet-steamboy-the-portable-steam-machine-1590987020

768217142017892422.gif

Now that Steam Machines have established all one needs to play computer games via Steam is a small box, a controller and a screen, the SteamBoy combines those three things into one portable gaming system. P

Announced on the last day of E3 2013, the SteamBoy is an independent project by a group unaffiliated with Valve, aimed at bringing a little PC gaming to players' pockets. According toinformation given The Escapist, it's a modestly-powered system that, while not up to recommended Steam Machine specs, will be cable of running most PC games at playable frame rates. P

A quad-core CPU, 4GB RAM, a 32GB built-in memory card and a 5" 16:9 touchscreen doesn't sound like much, but it's certainly enough to play. Factor in Steam's new streaming functionality and the SteamBoy could be a must-have companion to a standard gaming machine. P

jrh6djug8riwp3ijiykt.jpgSEXPAND

Of course that all depends on whether the machine actually surfaces, and whether or not Reliable Corporation goes after them for using the same name as their line of floor cleaning products

Only 32GB? That's barely enough for most of today's PC games.  

Love the idea.  Based on the specs, and I'm not even seeing a video card in the mix, I'm guessing it'll be underwhelming at best unfortunately.

If Valve were officially making something like this, and got backing from leading hardware manufacturers to craft a truly innovative portable system, I could see them making something that every Steam user would want to get their hands on.  The thought of bringing my Steam library with me everywhere I go, even if there's only enough space for one or two games at a time, almost makes me giddy.  As it stands though... I can't picture some unsupported, unaffiliated third party company hitting it big with this idea.

• 1 month later...