Pre-Order, Pre-Load Upcoming PS4 Games

Lady Lilith

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/06/18/pre-order-pre-load-upcoming-ps4-games/

Last week during E3 2014, 10 PS4 games that were announced or featured at the show had pre-orders go live on PlayStation Store, and I’m thrilled to let you all know that each of those games will take advantage of PS4’s automatic pre-load feature.

Automatic pre-load on PS4 allows you to download pre-ordered games before the release date, so you can get into your games after they’re released faster than ever. We all know that some of the biggest games can take a while to download, and with the pre-load functionality, you’ll be able to download and install those huge files up to several days in advance. And don’t worry if you forget: any titles you’ve pre-ordered will be automatically pre-loaded and auto-downloaded to your PS4 system by default. All you have to do is pre-order the game, make sure your PS4 remains in standby mode, and sit back and relax.

You won’t have to wait long to try this new feature out – Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark, which launches on June 24th, will be the first PS4 title to take advantage of automatic pre-load. Additionally, all titles made available for pre-order on PlayStation Store on or after May 20, 2014, will be pre-loaded. Here are the titles available for pre-order and pre-load:

Title Pre-Order Price Battlefield Hardline $59.99 Battlefield Hardline Deluxe Edition $69.99 Bloodborne $59.99 Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare $59.99 Destiny $59.99 Dragon Age: Inquisition $59.99 Dragon Age: Inquisition Deluxe Edition $69.99 Far Cry 4 $59.99 inFAMOUS First Light $14.99 Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare $39.99 LittleBigPlanet 3 $59.99 Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor $59.99 The Order: 1886 $59.99 Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark $59.99 Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End $59.99

Great news for people who get digital stuff.  For me though, physical all the way.

Digital is such an unbelievable rip off, it's bad for the US and they get charged the same price as retail. In the EU we get charged upwards of 50% of the retail price on top! so a game is £40 retail, yet we're charged £60 on the store for a digital version, it's absolutely insane!  

Why anyone buys retail is crazy to me, order it of amazon and wait a couple days and save 33.3% (£20) at least in the Uk. :)

It's even worse on vita, you can only use one account, there's no, playing your purchased games on your second account. Again, over priced, more restrictions, terrible. 

Go digital and..

pay more 

lose any option of reselling the game you bought.

Never loan to it a family member or a friend. 

Never receive a disk and case with cover art and most of the time, a manual. 

and on the vita, never play it on a second account. It's tied to only one. (you can only have one account on your memory card/vita at once) 

See how fucking awful digital is on the playstation? 

Counter arguments are always,

"oh I can't lose/brake it if it's digital" that's because there's nothing to lose or break and if you lose your memory card and have no internet connection, now what?

You're fucked, no games for you.

On the ps3 if your console gets switched off, suddenly and incorrectly in rare cases you may have to completely restore the system, which means wiping it, in it's entirety and essentially having a new console, no data/accounts on it. (happened to me once, when I had a power cut)

Say you have no internet connection at the time, guess what, no re signing up, no re downloading your games, you're fucked, no games for you.  

If you're willing to be shat on like that, because you can't be bothered to change a disc or you're to impatient to wait an extra day while it's in the mail, that's your choice and you reap what you sow. 

But people need to know the downsides an more importantly start voting with their wallets, sonys digital market is absolutely appalling, it's only a benefit if you're a lazy and impatient. 

If you're not lazy or impatient, there's literally no benefit what so ever, it's all downsides, go physical people. It's the only way forward that ensures we don't get shat on now, or in the long run. 

P.S 

If you're buying games for like $4 in a flash sale, or getting games from + that's a different story, it's as cheap as peanuts at point, $4 is not worth complaining about.

Pre ordering retail games like this though? It's not worth it. It wouldn't be worth it at two thirds of the price.

I get that it's all subjective and this is just my opinion.

But I'm telling you this, in case you're someone who has never weighed up the pro's and con's of digital on the playstation, now you know. 

And now you know, just how much of a rip off it is; vote with your wallet, go psychical.

TLDR: Digital on the playstation is an absolute rip off and in most cases should be completely avoided.  Buy physical. 

• Like 1

Well...that escalated quickly. 

While I do agree wholeheartedly and can't understand the people that preorder digital games (that you can get physical copies of, PSN exclusives is a different story), I do know that there are people out there who buy digital games, or else Sony wouldn't keep doing all this stuff with digital exclusives and pre loading, right?

Well...that escalated quickly. 

While I do agree wholeheartedly and can't understand the people that preorder digital games (that you can get physical copies of, PSN exclusives is a different story), I do know that there are people out there who buy digital games, or else Sony wouldn't keep doing all this stuff with digital exclusives and pre loading, right?

People certainly buy it, that's why they keep on doing it. The only reason why they won't lower the prices is because retailers have them by the balls lol, if they go lower than retail, retail would lose soooo much money, so we're left paying the same price for a much inferior end product with more restrictions.

I guess people will only pay what they're willing, so really the market decides here, people seem more than willing  to pay $60 for digital, so why not charge $60 right?

I personally just can't wrap my head around the appeal of it though, tbh.  

It did escalate quickly lol, but it was a digital pre order thread, so I figured this would be the time and place to talk about the pros and cons of digital. :)

Seems like a lot of physical copies of games don't even have manuals anymore. Only digital manuals that install when you put the game in. I wonder if they're only doing that to get people to buy more digital. I miss my manuals and art lol

Seems like a lot of physical copies of games don't even have manuals anymore. Only digital manuals that install when you put the game in. I wonder if they're only doing that to get people to buy more digital. I miss my manuals and art lol

Remember how they had little tidbits about the characters (Knuckles apparently likes grapes is one I remember), and other neat things (DK64 had Cranky rants, Sonic and more had notes sections, and Sonic games also had all this information about the powerups and zones).  It was AMAZING  :wub:

Digital is such an unbelievable rip off, it's bad for the US and they get charged the same price as retail. In the EU we get charged upwards of 50% of the retail price on top! so a game is £40 retail, yet we're charged £60 on the store for a digital version, it's absolutely insane!  

Why anyone buys retail is crazy to me, order it of amazon and wait a couple days and save 33.3% (£20) at least in the Uk. :)

It's even worse on vita, you can only use one account, there's no, playing your purchased games on your second account. Again, over priced, more restrictions, terrible. 

Go digital and..

pay more 

lose any option of reselling the game you bought.

Never loan to it a family member or a friend. 

Never receive a disk and case with cover art and most of the time, a manual. 

and on the vita, never play it on a second account. It's tied to only one. (you can only have one account on your memory card/vita at once) 

See how fucking awful digital is on the playstation? 

Counter arguments are always,

"oh I can't lose/brake it if it's digital" that's because there's nothing to lose or break and if you lose your memory card and have no internet connection, now what?

You're fucked, no games for you.

On the ps3 if your console gets switched off, suddenly and incorrectly in rare cases you may have to completely restore the system, which means wiping it, in it's entirety and essentially having a new console, no data/accounts on it. (happened to me once, when I had a power cut)

Say you have no internet connection at the time, guess what, no re signing up, no re downloading your games, you're fucked, no games for you.  

If you're willing to be shat on like that, because you can't be bothered to change a disc or you're to impatient to wait an extra day while it's in the mail, that's your choice and you reap what you sow. 

But people need to know the downsides an more importantly start voting with their wallets, sonys digital market is absolutely appalling, it's only a benefit if you're a lazy and impatient. 

If you're not lazy or impatient, there's literally no benefit what so ever, it's all downsides, go physical people. It's the only way forward that ensures we don't get shat on now, or in the long run. 

P.S 

If you're buying games for like $4 in a flash sale, or getting games from + that's a different story, it's as cheap as peanuts at point, $4 is not worth complaining about.

Pre ordering retail games like this though? It's not worth it. It wouldn't be worth it at two thirds of the price.

I get that it's all subjective and this is just my opinion.

But I'm telling you this, in case you're someone who has never weighed up the pro's and con's of digital on the playstation, now you know. 

And now you know, just how much of a rip off it is; vote with your wallet, go psychical.

TLDR: Digital on the playstation is an absolute rip off and in most cases should be completely avoided.  Buy physical. 

I used to order my games on amazon, but with the release of next gen consoles, their prices increased significantly and it doesn't matter anymore

Based on this I may go digital on Destiny. Although there are plenty of games I'm looking forward to this fall it's the only one I don't see myself trading when it still has decent value. Plus I like the idea of preloading and playing on that Monday right at midnight.

Other than that digital just doesn't make much sense. I got the plat for Watch Dogs and don't plan on playing again so I'll trade it to Gamestop for $40. If I had bought digitally I'd esentially have paid three times more. 

Plus who doesn't like having their games lined up on the shelf?

Edited by JBeck24

Most Amazon orders have a checkout option to ensure the game gets to you on the day of release so I also do not see the need to ever buy the digital version. Only game I was going to get was Tomb Raider when they had the half price sale. Now have more deals like that and Digital versions would be so appealing; but then like a few have said, having your games lined up on a shelf, lovely!