Modders Begin Hacking Into Mario Kart 8

Lady Lilith

http://kotaku.com/modders-begin-hacking-into-mario-kart-8-1600841670

bldfs7hk730swffse4un.pngEXPAND1

Using a browser hack to facilitate on-the-fly RAM edits, modders now have the power to rename courses and tweak musical cues in Mario Kart 8 — and this is only the beginning. 

Youtube user and Mario Kart speedrunner MrBean35000vr demonstrated these new abilities during a Twitch live stream this weekend. According to the description of the YouTube highlight reel below, the changes were achieved via a recently released browser hack and some additional code from his compatriot Chadderz, which enabled kernel reading and writing. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cS66tbIrEg

Simple tweaks, but MrBean35000vr says what we're seeing is the key to changing everything about the game. 

All of this may not look impressive, but it's merely because we don't even know where to start; we can do anything now, anything at all! Custom tracks, custom songs, you name it. We just have to decipher the RAM and work out how. 

MrBean35000vr is adamant that this work will not be used for cheating, assuring worried YouTube commenters. 

Remember guys: We're not going to be encouraging cheating with this and won't let our work be used for it. Our goal is to make game mods; custom tracks, etc. Relax and enjoy what we come up with
:)

I just worry that there are other, more unscrupulous folks out there who now know this can be done, and won't stop until they can do it to — or Nintendo patches the exploit once and for all. 

Well, that didn't take long.  I wonder how long until Mario Kart 8's online is ruined by hackers? Or if Nintendo will actually do something.  I heard they let the Mario Kart Wii hacking slip by, though, so I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 1

I've watched Bean stream before, and I know he doesn't hack the game for personal gains. He runs a site to share custom tracks/characters/karts etc.

However, once the info is out there, he can't stop anyone from using it improperly.

If you want to make custom tracks and karts why not just get Modnation Racers, I mean that is the point of the game :|

or littlebigplanet karting

Great, now the hackers are in MK8. There goes my idea of buying a Wii U in the next 5 days -_-

you should still buy it, windwaker HD is a great game

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't MK8 already ruined before this?  I remember reading reports of the game having a bunch of cheaters using a lag switch or something similar, leading people to situations where the console tells them they won the race, but in reality the lag switcher did.  Or something.

With that out of the way.....I've never understood the need to cheat at online games.   If you suck, you suck.  Practice and get better, go play something else, or just sit there and lose.  But sucking at something doesn't give you the right to ruin it for everyone else.