Rumor: Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS Data Prompts More DLC Speculation

Lady Lilith

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/10/rumour_super_smash_bros_for_nintendo_3ds_data_prompts_more_dlc_speculation

630x.jpg

More Smash

Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS isn't short of content, and the upcoming live Nintendo Direct is promising "50 new things" for the home console iteration; it's clear that Masahiro Sakurai and his team have devoted a great deal of effort to details both big and small.

Gamers and fans always want more, of course, and with major Nintendo titles often featuring DLC nowadays — high profile examples include Hyrule Warriors and the upcoming Mario Kart 8 packs — there are hopes that Smash Bros. will join the trend. Following previous rumours around code in the 3DS title that suggests DLC may be a reality, an inquisitive gamer called PushDustin has been digging around to find details.

Among the evidence apparently found we have code that supposedly proves the ability to load DLC characters and stages, an in-game shop and — picking up on the key part of earlier rumours — support for 8-player fights. Some of the evidence has been found in the Wii U connectivity area, suggesting a role for 3DS systems in supporting 8-player matches — the portable can be used as a controller in the Wii U version. Below is a summary posted over on NeoGaf.

The game uses pictures (EFF and BCO for Japanese and English) to animate "A Challenger Appears" on the top screen, so since there is a text version in the dump, either characters are unlocked through connecting to the Wii U, or it will display the text when a character is purchased through the store. Even though I hate to admit it, it's most likely connected to the Wii U menu as there is no other text for the store (it'll probably connect to the E-Shop, or download the page from the Internet). However, there are no additional characters files in the game which severely hurts the chances of this being the case (as the 3DS would have to download quite a bit of data from the Wii U in order to utilize the character).

The 3DS can be used as a controller in 8 player Smash for the Wii U, based on the pictures with the file names: 29CE and 279A (Essentially: the 1-8 Player Icons, and numbers with pictures of 8 fighters). Files with CFC13 are the menu pictures.

Head on over to the linked forum post to see the claimed evidence, though as always we urge caution; leaks around Smash Bros. have sometimes proven correct but, equally, have occasionally been well wide of the mark. The concept of DLC and eight-player battles does seem relatively feasible, however, and would play up to Sakurai-san's remarks about showing off the true potential of the franchise.

Character wise, I mainly want Lucas and Wolf to return, and maybe King K Rool and Knuckles/Shadow/Metal Sonic for newcomers.  Content wise, I'd like Adventure Mode or Event Mode.  I think Event Mode is underrated.  I actually enjoyed it a lot.

I know it probably won't happen, but FUCKING PUT IN ROY!

Adventure Mode, Event mode, Ice Climbers, King K Rool, Paper Mario, Geno, Black Shadow, Wavedashing, better Dash dancing, DI, More hit stun, L canceling and online leaderboards.

Am I asking for too much?

From what I've heard, the reason why Ice Climbers didn't make it into the mix in 3DS is that they weren't able to program the character correctly.

I know it probably won't happen, but FUCKING PUT IN ROY!

From what I've heard, the reason why Ice Climbers didn't make it into the mix in 3DS is that they weren't able to program the character correctly.

Yeah that's the reason. It was my fear in the first place when they announced it would be on both 3DS and WiiU. Sakurai should stop trying to keep the roster's the same, it's holding back the WiiU version.

Which is why it's complete bullshit that the 3DS and Wii U have the same roster.  If the 3DS couldn't handle Ice Climbers, they should be in the Wii U version no question.  But no, they'll probably be in...as DLC.

Also I heard somewhere that Lucas got cut for similar reasons.  Is that accurate?

Which is why it's complete bullshit that the 3DS and Wii U have the same roster.  If the 3DS couldn't handle Ice Climbers, they should be in the Wii U version no question.  But no, they'll probably be in...as DLC.

Also I heard somewhere that Lucas got cut for similar reasons.  Is that accurate?

Lucas, Wolf, Squirtle, and Ivysaur got cut because they were some of the least popular characters in Brawl. Ice climbers for technical (stupid) reasons, and Snake because of the lack of support Kojima has had for nintendo consoles as of late.

Lucas, Wolf, Squirtle, and Ivysaur got cut because they were some of the least popular characters in Brawl. Ice climbers for technical (stupid) reasons, and Snake because of the lack of support Kojima has had for nintendo consoles as of late.

Okay, that's just sad. I know many people (myself included) that LOVED playing as Lucas.

Lucas and Wolf were two of my favorites in Brawl  :| Pokemon Trainer can go to hell though, all that matters there is Charizard.