Grounded Mode | Winter

skiptracing

Hey, everyone. I'm stuck in the Winter chapter in the Last of Us when you're with David at the elevator. I haven't got to the bloater part yet. I have 1 arrow for my bow and only 2 Rifle ammo, and the stuff you get (1 molotov and a nail bomb.) Hardest part yet.

I really would appreciate some tips or  advice as I've been trying to get past this part all day and those damn runners keep getting me.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I can't write a full strategy right now, but only use your arrow if you can retrieve it, and save your Molotov and nail bomb for the bloater. Use your rifle most of the time, as when you are low on ammo they will drop more. Make sure to use the many bricks and bottles to stun and insta kill the infected too, good luck :)

Restart the chapter and conserve your arrows. Only use them as a last resort in the first cabin defense fight. Use the rifle instead here as David will give you ammo if you run out. Allow the enemies to enter the cabin before you kill them so that you can collect their drops (usually rifle ammo).

Don't kill any of the clickers at the part where you have to sneak around. I did the elevator sequence with 6 arrows on Grounded and Grounded+, and it was hard as nails then. I recommend you try to do the same.

Generally, try to stay in the bridge-corridor thing. That way they're only ever coming from one or 2 directions. Use David as a blocker (get him between you and a runner/clicker if you're feeling overwhelmed). Recover your arrows as soon as it is safe to do so. 

Save the nail bomb and molotov for the bloater. When you hear him coming, plant the nail bomb at the entrance to the corridor and wait ready with the molotov. As soon as he is in sight, let him have the molotov. Those two should kill him, but you may need to finish the job with an arrow or a shot if you have any ammo left.

• In the cabin only use your arrows and retrieve as many as possible. If there are only 1 or 2 infected left per wave try to evade until they attack David, then stab them with your knife to save ammo.
  • On the catwalk use a bottle to stun the clicker that walks around the corner, then stab him with your knife.

Take a brick or bottle with you to the elevator room.

• In the elevator room you'll want to save as much ammo as possible.

I recommend to kill the first few enemies only by either stabbing them when they attack David or throw bricks and bottles at them. Don't stay in the room for too long, instead go to the other end of the corridor.

• You'll die often enough to remember the pattern. Sounds dumb, but the whole Ellie part is pretty much only about remembering the pattern and doing your best to stay alive.

The whole section took me around 3-4 hours until I beat it the first time on Grounded.

Don't give up and good luck! :)

edit: @Stricken:Biged: Have they patched that you get more Rifle ammo when using it all up? I remember that on the PS3 barely any would drop, making it really tough and I saved the rifle for clickers only, but on the PS4 I constantly got new ammo.

Edited by soniq

edit: @Stricken:Biged: Have they patched that you get more Rifle ammo when using it all up? I remember that on the PS3 barely any would drop, making it really tough and I saved the rifle for clickers only, but on the PS4 I constantly got new ammo.

I don't know. I only played on Hard on PS3. All I can say is that rifle ammo drops were pretty reliable in the cabin on my ps4 playthroughs, which were both Grounded and Grounded+. David gives you 6 ammo at least once, the first time you run out completely.

This was the part that took me the longest on Grounded...mostly because Davids AI fuckin' sucks. A way to abuse it is when a Clicker grabs him you can get a free kill on the clicker, usually, as long as another Clicker doesn't kill you afterwards. You need to use pretty much every brick and bottle in the room too, use them to stun clickers and then kill them with your knife, but make sure they're stunned, for whatever reason throwing something at them doesn't always stun them so be careful to look out for their stunned animation to save yourself from going up expecting to kill it then it owns you :P

I figured David only drops one ammo box on Grounded, thats all he ever dropped when I was doing that part.

Edited by MrManBuz

Done the cabin part again and ended up with 6 ammo for rifle and 5 arrows but had to use one bullet for that clicker that gets stuck. 

Nice. You should find the next bit more manageable now.

I should have mentioned, on the bit leading up to the bloater, use your arrows and go for headshots, recovering them when you can. Fall back on your rifle as a backup as you wont be getting much ammo this time.

Nice. You should find the next bit more manageable now.

I should have mentioned, on the bit leading up to the bloater, use your arrows and go for headshots, recovering them when you can. Fall back on your rifle as a backup as you wont be getting much ammo this time.

Alright thanks. I got close and killed the bloater but the last runner killed me, haha!

@StrickenBiged: great advice. That's the method I used.

@HolyFad: you got it now. Its all downhill from here. There's also some good walkthrough's on YouTube if you have any more trouble. It's fairly easy after this. A lot more sneaking and running through the Bus Depot and Firefly lab.

• Like 1

Bricks and bottles are your best friends. And you get some easy kills when you let the infected to grab David and then shiv those bastards with one hit kill. Just be careful that there isn't another infected near by. Bloater isn't hard, just save the molotov and bomb for it and it should be pretty easy. Winter-chapter was definitely the hardest part on my Grounded-playthroughs (+ the sniper part, never learned to master that one. Meaning, I died alot). 

Edited by Juzota
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I stopped playing at this part. Lost my save as well. :(

Maybe I'll start over some day.

Grounded is so hard.

It's not so bad once you know how. Basically, you need to play in stealth the whole time, except for a few encounters.

I am officially done with Grounded Mode!

Nice. How you doing with G+?

It's not so bad once you know how. Basically, you need to play in stealth the whole time, except for a few encounters.

Nice. How you doing with G+?

I actually did that glitch that allowed me to skip Grounded and went straight to Plus.  :eyebrow:

I stopped playing at this part. Lost my save as well. :(

Maybe I'll start over some day.

Grounded is so hard.

In my playthrough, I was annoyed as well. And I'm sure everytime you got stuck, you would think that you couldn't do it as I always did, lol. But it'll really feel like an accomplishment once you do it. Besides, this is basically the last hard part. In Bus Depot when you com across 3 Bloaters and a bunch of other infected. You can just run through. A lot of running through after you're done with this chapter.

I actually did that glitch that allowed me to skip Grounded and went straight to Plus.  :eyebrow:

In my playthrough, I was annoyed as well. And I'm sure everytime you got stuck, you would think that you couldn't do it as I always did, lol. But it'll really feel like an accomplishment once you do it. Besides, this is basically the last hard part. In Bus Depot when you com across 3 Bloaters and a bunch of other infected. You can just run through. A lot of running through after you're done with this chapter.

Sneaky sneaky. I did G and G+ legit.  :P

An easier way to do the bus depot (or indeed, any section with infected) is to hold down L2 to aim with a weapon. If you move whilst aiming, Joel will automatically walk at his slowest pace. You can walk right past a clicker or bloater at this pace and it won't hear you, just don't get close enough to touch it. Pro-tip.  B)

• Like 1

Sneaky sneaky. I did G and G+ legit.  :P

An easier way to do the bus depot (or indeed, any section with infected) is to hold down L2 to aim with a weapon. If you move whilst aiming, Joel will automatically walk at his slowest pace. You can walk right past a clicker or bloater at this pace and it won't hear you, just don't get close enough to touch it. Pro-tip.  B)

Exactly what I did, made the whole thing much easier.

My new grounded playthrough is already going much better. I'm at Bill's Town now (hanging upside down).

God I hated the way you had to watch the cutscene every time you failed that section. 

Game designers: if you have a really difficult section straight after a cutscene then put the damn checkpoint after the damn cutscene!

• Like 1