This game is tough!

Maybe it's just me getting old, but this is definitely one of the hardest games I've ever played. Up their with Super Meatboy.

It all gets a lot easier when Azazel is unlocked, since his blood beam takes out enemies a lot more efficiently. But I do see a lot of the trophies need to be achieved with Isaac or one of the other characters that fires tears. Also many of the powerups don't affect the beam, and only speed up tear fire rate etc.

So some early tips. My first time writing anything like this, so please let me know if I'm chatting crap.

First up, when entering a new room, never immediately run forward. Levels sometimes place a hazard right in front of the door, which will take off some health before you even get to the enemies. Survey the position of obstacles before even touching the analogue stick. Learn to be quick about it though.

If enemies are shooting a lot of stuff at you, adjust your focus to ignore their position and concentrate on avoiding the bullets. When I do that I never get hit. When I'm aggressive and rush in, thinking I can clear the room quickly, more often than not I fail to notice a stray bullet. Many times, my game has ended because that one stray bullet took off my last half health bar.

I generally avoid the "torture" rooms that deal damage when you enter and exit. Usually the powerup isn't worth the loss of health, especially early on, and it might just be enemies in there. With Azazel, you start with a teleporter card and a flying power, so you avoid damage when you enter, and can teleport out to exit. So I always do the first one I see with him.

If you have a lot of bombs stored up, try blowing up random rocks, especially a few are clustered together. Quite often, a key, coins or another bomb will drop. 

My general thoughts on Isaac and other non-Azazel characters that fire tears, are that they start off very weak, but with a few powerups those tears become as effective as the beam in taking down critters. Better range too.

What else?

If you see the "white dolls" in rooms, like in the shop, blow them up with bombs. Usually drop good stuff.

In general, focus on avoiding fire, not on killing as fast as possible. That's advice for any shooting game, but especially a game as hard as this.

Anyway, would appreciate any more tips. Specifically, can anyone explain exactly how to fight Satan?

Yes, this is very hard game but that's why I like it. Azazel is the only character that i have any chance with. I think I've only once get to the Isaac-fight, but didn't won. I've watched some let's play videos and I don't understand how people are so good.

Although I got my ass kicked every run, I still enjoy this game a lot. One of my favorites this year.

Anyway, would appreciate any more tips. Specifically, can anyone explain exactly how to fight Satan?

I don't know how but I faced (and won) him once. After I destroyed Mom's heart there were a ladder to downstairs and it had some extra level where Satan was the boss.

Don't waste bombs unnecessarily blowing up rocks, if you look closely at each rock you may notice a tinted rock. It's these tinted rocks that yield goodies, not the normal rocks, look for a blue-ish rock (You'll easily notice them if one is grouped with normal rocks) there is also a brown tinted one I believe (The ones that leave chests). You can use certain enemies to your advantage by making them blow up near walls for secret rooms or rocks for the secret trapdoor for a free collectable or to the black market for a free level skip, items that cost hearts and some beggars.

The "Torture" room you referred to is called a curse room. The room with one set of spikes in the middle of the floor is a sacrifice room. Curse rooms aren't all that bad, you can get some good stuff from them, but I find it better to go in only when I know I can recover my health afterwards. (I'm not brilliant at the game either, health matters) But of course you can also get screwed over in curse rooms too.

Azazel's beam is Brimstone. Every character can get Brimstone from a Devil deal. The Brimstone item is much more effective than Azazel's starting Brimstone as it has unlimited range. If you pick it up as Azazel it will also give him unlimited range.

Satan is relatively easy. The only problem is the leeches he spawns in in his final phase. At the start of the battle you fight The Fallen. When you walk in the room you will hear Satan shout. Count to 3 as soon as you walk in and on 3 place a bomb right in front of the statue, if you timed it right you will seriously damage The Fallen and kill both leeches. (I may be wrong with when to start counting, but when he shouts you haven't got long to prepare) You want to avoid The Fallen's cardinal brimstone shots as much as possible. I suggest you listen to the sounds he makes so you know the triggers so you can better avoid damage. After the two mini Fallens are dealt with Satan will finally reveal himself. Use your own tips to avoid his shots as much as you can. Try to avoid passing by in front of him as he can shoot brimstone very quickly. Only move in front if he's backing you into a wall, upgraded speed will help here. If you can bait him into shooting Brimstone but avoid getting hit you can pass by safely as there is a delay, albeit very short, before he shoots it again. Once you beat this phase he'll enter his final phase. Never stop moving during this phase as he constantly stamps down from the ceiling. He will also randomly spawn leeches. I'd suggest you finish the leeches off ASAP as they're very quick and will most likely catch you off guard. But perseverance is key. Keep shooting Satan's legs and eventually the fight will end one way or another. He doesn't stomp randomly, it's always where you are standing, hence keep moving.

If you're worried (Or want practice) once you get to the boss door, pause and hit exit game, it will save so just hit continue. Fight the boss as normal and if you die quickly pause the game before the death animation finishes (If you get the death note it's too late and the game will autosave making you start a new run) then hold the PS button and close the app. Start it back up and you will have continue, which will start you back outside the boss room. Or of course you could also back up your save to the cloud/USB drive, I just find the pause and quit to be more convenient, not to mention much quicker. Yeah I die a lot :D If you don't pause, the game will autosave before you quit. If you die anywhere on a floor without exiting prior to make the game save you can still do the pause and quit, it will restart you at the start of the current floor. It should be worth noting that for some reason if you pause and quit WITHOUT dying, the game may save as normal, even though you exited the app, I don't know why that happens. The pause and quit is very good for practice against bosses though. 

If you think the game is tough now, just wait until you unlock The Lost, you have to complete the entire game, start to finish without getting damaged once (Instadeath character) and without exiting the game as there is a bug that will instantly kill the lost whenever continuing a game with him, he also fires tears.

Also the Isaac boss is incredibly easy if you have the Dry Baby and BFFS! If you enter the room and stay still you are invincible, every single shot gets blocked by Dry Baby, Isaac can't touch you, same goes for the ??? boss. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips. When I was asking about Satan I meant how to meet him and the powerups you need (Joker card when in the Womb 2?)

Access to Sheol (where you fight Satan) acts the same as a Devil room on any other floor, in that it depends on a bunch of factors like evil & damage taken etc. Once you've beaten Mom's Heart eleven times both Sheol and the Cathedral (where you'll find the Isaac fight) unlock permanently.

Since you are talking about the game's difficulty, anyone here knows if I need to beat anything on Hard to get a trophy?

There are secrets unlocked for beating Mom's Heart with each character on Hard, plus you'll need to beat both of the final endgame bosses + boss rush on Hard with The Lost.

Edited by Seasonreaper

• 3 weeks later...

Is this game 10 000 hours or something ? No one has the plat yet :D

No one on this PSN listing has the plat yet, and that's mostly because it's unobtainable until SCEE pushes out patch v1.03. A few trophies, such as "Dead Boy" don't pop unless you're on the latest patch. It's with Sony EU for approval according to the devs.

A few players on the NA version have the plat.