PS4 and Vita to enter the Chinese market - Jan 11 2015

StrickenBiged

Just a quick bit of news that PS4 and Vita will be launching in China in Jan 2015.

Look forward to welcoming all those new players. Assuming there are any games already out that pass the censor and that the Chinese government allows us to interact with Chinese players in any way at all...

Article: 

Machines launching January 11 as corp woos Chinese developers

Sony has dated and priced both the PS4 and the Vita for China, with Andrew House indicating that "services and experiences" would be on offer as well as software.

The PS4 will be priced at RMB 2,899 ($468, £299, €377) and the Vita at RMB 1,299 ($209, £134, €168). Both will be available on January 11. Black and white versions of both machines will be available.

"PS4 is expanding at the fastest rate in PlayStation hardware history, and the global gaming community is enjoying the ultimate entertainment experience only available on PlayStation," said House. "We are delighted that we are able to fully launch our business in China, which is a market with great potential. We look forward to delivering exciting software, convenient services and entertainment experiences only possible on PlayStation to the many gamers in China."

Part of Sony's approach to the Chinese market is to engage with Chinese developers to create territory specific games. Suzhou Snail Digital Technology, Shanghai Youju Information Technology and Shanghai Kena Information Technology are all on the list of launch developers.

"Furthermore," reads a Sony press release, "in cooperation with Modian.com and business partner Shanghai Oriental Pearl SUOLE Culture Development Ltd., SCE will actively provide support to Chinese game developers to bring their content to PlayStation platforms."

Previously, Sony revealed that it would be preparing around 200,000 units of PS4 a year for the Chinese market, although that number would be closely tied to demand.

Despite a relaxation of the trade regulations which have kept both Microsoft and Sony from marketing their consoles in China for the last 14 years, both companies can expect to still face considerable hurdles from the Chinese censor, which is notoriously difficult to appease. It's certainly unlikely that any game which paints a negative picture of China, such as Battlefield 4, or games which are replete with violence and criminal activity, like GTA V, will ever be allowed to be distributed there.

• Like 1

Hopefully some of the games that get developed for the Chinese market will get a wider release. I don't know about you, but I do miss some of the more vanilla themed games of my youth. I'd just about kill for a 3D platformer with an anthropomorphic lead character right now.

If that's the only sort of thing China's going to be allowed to get, I hope they come out here too.

All speculation and wishful thinking, I know.

I would say 'good for the people in China,' but they'll likely miss out on a lot (if not all) great games that happened to have a Mature rating or even Teen rating because of the goverment there. Still, at least this is somewhat good news for Chinese gamers.

Just like getting around the GFW, many of the people in China who will be buying a PS4 or Vita will also know how to get things that the government says they shouldn't.

This is great news worldwide!

If we start getting to play with Chinese players, that opens up a whole new world of possibilities in trolling people online. Imagine, talking about the crackdown in Tiananmen Square. Free Tibet. The government in Taiwan being the legitimate Chinese government. China having no legit claim to the Spratly Islands. Falun Gong. 

Nah seriously though, we'll never get to play with Chinese gamers because their government is afraid of them having access to people talking about those things. Also, if PSNP was able to pass through their restrictions before, my post made it so it can't now. :P

Hopefully some of the games that get developed for the Chinese market will get a wider release. I don't know about you, but I do miss some of the more vanilla themed games of my youth. I'd just about kill for a 3D platformer with an anthropomorphic lead character right now.

If that's the only sort of thing China's going to be allowed to get, I hope they come out here too.

All speculation and wishful thinking, I know.

so with you