AVATAR FANS! Ongoing petitions for "The Last Airbender" on Blu-Ray and "Avatar" franchise acquisition by Netflix

StormRacer872

Alright, so there are a couple of ongoing petitions right now relating to the "Avatar" franchise, so I figured I'd take to the forums here to spread word about them.

The first petition is to get "Avatar: The Last Airbender" remastered for Blu-Ray, and also to have boxsets made for "The Last Airbender", "Legend of Korra", and both together. The link is below.

https://www.change.org/p/nickelodeon-remaster-avatar-the-last-airbender-for-blu-ray-and-release-a-boxset-of-all-avatar-episodes

The second petition is to have Netflix acquire the rights to the "Avatar" franchise, and ideally continue it. The link to that is below.

https://www.change.org/p/netflix-pick-up-the-avatar-franchise-and-release-as-a-netflix-original-series

If you guys like "Avatar", please check them out!

Edit: Also, sharing them helps and is appreciated, so feel free to tweet/blog/do-whatever-it-is-you-do about them!

Edited by StormRacer872
  • Like 1

Signed the first one, although, I think that will happen anyway in time. 

About the second petition - why does Netflix need to pick up the franchise? Aren't Nickleodeon making more?

I believe that, as of right now, Nickelodeon has no plans to continue the franchise as a televised series (someone please do correct me if I'm wrong on that). There are still comics, but now that "Legend of Korra" is over, I don't think they plan to continue it anytime soon, if at all. Also, thanks for signing! 

Edit: So here (http://www.hypable.com/2014/10/26/the-legend-of-korra-creators-confirm-the-end-of-avatar/) it says that the creators are moving on to other projects. Not sure what Nickelodeon intends to do with the IP now, aside from comics. They may just let it sit there and do nothing major, which would be unfortunate :/

Signed!

Thanks!

Edited by StormRacer872

Not really sure it should be picked up by Netflix and continued (not to mention they'd have to fork out big bucks to acquire the rights). Both series are over and fine as they are, not to mention milking franchises is never an enjoyable sight and more often than not it results in a noticeable quality drop.

Either way, here's hoping they release both series on Blu-Ray sometime soon.

God I hope they make a third show; I love the whole world that Avatar and Korra have created, and really don't want it to be over.

The problem is, and as Nagflar points out, it can result in quality drop. I thought both TLA and LoK were great, but they'd have to get lightning to strike a third time. It's doable (i.e. the Uncharted franchise has 3 entries, all of which were well received), but it can be hard to keep making sequels which beat out it's predecessor(s). 

Not really sure it should be picked up by Netflix and continued (not to mention they'd have to fork out big bucks to acquire the rights). Both series are over and fine as they are, not to mention milking franchises is never an enjoyable sight and more often than not it results in a noticeable quality drop.

Either way, here's hoping they release both series on Blu-Ray sometime soon.

I agree that both series' are fine as is, but if they can make a new series which is just as good, why not? The problem though is making it just as good and keeping things new and interesting. I'd love more Avatar, but only if it's new content, not a rehash of what has already been done. LoK was definitely more mature in tone than TLA, so I'd say they mixed things up there and did so pretty well IMO. But would they be able to do it a third time, or get someone new on the project who could? Who knows.

I liked the original Avatar series, it was one of my favorite shows growing-up, but I didn't care for the Korra one that much. From what I've heard, the Avatar franchise is pretty much done, I did hear a rumor why Korra started airing online, & not on TV though... Apparently the writers started making Korra & Asami a little too "close", if you get what I mean. But like I said, it's just a rumor.

Where's Waffles :D?

I didn't know NETFLIX could continue other Tv Shows that didn't belong to them? Is that right?

Anyways, as an Avatar fan, I will gladly sign both pets! I can't believe Avatar wasn't released in blueray yet, it's been such a long time since the series ended.

How about we also get a petition for another Avatar installment in the Korra universe!

I liked the original Avatar series, it was one of my favorite shows growing-up, but I didn't care for the Korra one that much. From what I've heard, the Avatar franchise is pretty much done, I did hear a rumor why Korra started airing online, & not on TV though... Apparently the writers started making Korra & Asami a little too "close", if you get what I mean. But like I said, it's just a rumor.

Yeah, LoK deals with some mature subject matter, and I actually like it more for that reason. Also, as for those rumours...

LEGEND OF KORRA FINALE SPOILER BELOW

Korra and Asami were confirmed by at least one of the creators of the show to have romantic feelings for each other

Where's Waffles :D?

I didn't know NETFLIX could continue other Tv Shows that didn't belong to them? Is that right?

Anyways, as an Avatar fan, I will gladly sign both pets! I can't believe Avatar wasn't released in blueray yet, it's been such a long time since the series ended.

How about we also get a petition for another Avatar installment in the Korra universe!

The idea is that Netflix would actually acquire the Avatar IP as a whole, and so they would own and have the rights to expand the franchise. Ideally, should Netflix acquire the rights, they would create a new show, but one step at a time :P

And yeah, we should really get a Blu-Ray remaster! It's been, like, what, more than 6 years since the series ended?

Edited by StormRacer872

Yeah, LoK deals with some mature subject matter, and I actually like it more for that reason. Also, as for those rumours...

LEGEND OF KORRA FINALE SPOILER BELOW

Korra and Asami were confirmed by at least one of the creators of the show to have romantic feelings for each other

Yeah, I was actually surprised that LoK had some more mature moments in the story (some even seemed a bit dark). But I thought the original just had a better story in general.

And about the spoiler: I kinda got that vibe from the ending, although nothing was ever confirmed (in the actual series anyways).

I agree that both series' are fine as is, but if they can make a new series which is just as good, why not? The problem though is making it just as good and keeping things new and interesting. I'd love more Avatar, but only if it's new content, not a rehash of what has already been done. LoK was definitely more mature in tone than TLA, so I'd say they mixed things up there and did so pretty well IMO. But would they be able to do it a third time, or get someone new on the project who could? Who knows.

That's exactly my point: who says they can do it again? As mentioned already in this thread, the creators are moving on (which is great - I'm hoping they come up with some new, good stuff), and who knows who they'd leave in charge and whether (s)he'd be able to capture tha magic of both series, not to mention keep the same level of quality.

• Like 1

Yeah, I was actually surprised that LoK had some more mature moments in the story (some even seemed a bit dark). But I thought the original just had a better story in general.

And about the spoiler: I kinda got that vibe from the ending, although nothing was ever confirmed (in the actual series anyways).

Yeah, the original had one major plot between all Books, with sub-plots mixed in, whereas Korra seems to have a different plot per Book (haven't watched 4 yet so can't judge that one). So I can see how people prefer the story of the original for its consistency. And yeah, because it was never clarified in the series, they did have to say afterwards "Yeah, here's what happened". 

That's exactly my point: who says they can do it again? As mentioned already in this thread, the creators are moving on (which is great - I'm hoping they come up with some new, good stuff), and who knows who they'd leave in charge and whether (s)he'd be able to capture tha magic of both series, not to mention keep the same level of quality.

Yeah, I look forward to whatever they do next. If it's anywhere near as good as Avatar, I'm in :P And if someone could be found that could continue the Avatar series and make it just as good as it was before, perfect. But that'd be pretty hard I'd imagine, and I don't think many people would want a new series just for the sake of more Avatar if it couldn't live up to the originals.