How does Transistor compare to Bastion?

UK-Danny-93

For people who have played both, how do the games compare/contrast? I played Bastion on PC and while I enjoyed the visuals and the narrator, I couldn't get into the combat. Just wasn't for me. Transistor looks interesting to me from a visual/sound/narrative perspective but I'm concerned I'll struggle to enjoy the game play mechanics. Is there much difference between the games in this regard, or in a wider sense that might help me decide whether or not to get it? How well does it work with a controller compared to kb+m

They're similar, but Transistor tries to be more of a strategy game, but uses similar mechanics to Bastion. It's like it's trying to be an action game and a strategy RPG at the same time, but doesn't do either very well. That's what I thought at least.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Yahtzee is pretty much on point with his review.

I kinda felt the same, kinda had to force myself through the first 2-3 hours, but the game does get really good as soon as you fully understand the combat and begin to experiment with it.

A lot of the fun comes from planning your attack and watching it unfold, but it takes a bit of time to get good enough to have that actually happen.

If you're someone who likes to get the plat for every game he plays then i absolutely recommend Transistor, your second playthrough will be absolutely fantastic. If not i'd still give it a shot if you're willing to force yourself a little or like music. Trasnsitor has really good music.

• Like 1

There's no reason not to play this now that it's free on PS+.  It's one of my favorite games of last year for sure, possibly top 10 all time for style, story, and music.  

Even though it's free now, I'm actually glad I bought it, to support indie studios that are turning out high quality games.

• 6 months later...