Just bought a Vita - What do I need to know?

Banxiee

I thought I could drop a list of Vita exclusives I think are worthy to check out

Surge deluxe - original puzzle game, highly addictive, super-cool aesthetics and music, but maybe a bit thin

TxK - looks really cool, sounds really cool, IS really cool! Old style vector graphics. Pure awesomeness if you were born in the 80's. Hard as hell trophies though.

Smart as - Sonys answer to Brain training. Never played those, but my impression is that Smart as puts more weight on gaming and less on science. Underrated gem, really enjoyable. Uses all of Vitas features. Opt for the PSN version because it's a game you want to pick up quick, play a little and then go on with something else

Wake-up club - somewhat fun alarm app with trophies

Treasure park - uses near. Light entertainment. Neat.

Paint park (plus) - draw stuff with your Vita. Do it with friends for some giggling moments like when you chatted with your friends in the same room in the 90's. Get trophies. Win.

Youtube - really good app, highly recommended.

Facebook

Ecolibrium - Like a mini version of Spore. Or a fusion SimEarth and Eve online, gone light. I like it very much. Free to play.

Crazy market - This is not really a Vita exclusive, came to iOS first, but it is slightly enhanced and adapted to the Vita. I like it. Free to play.

Frobisher says - not tried yet, but looks funny. Free to play.

Destiny of spirits - nice free to play strategy

Reality fighters - another tech game. Uses a lot of augmented reality I think. Haven't tried it yet. Reviews were mixed, but I think it can be fun.

Tearaway - well, it's great. Uses many features on Vita.

Unit 13 - heeia how, pow! Third person shooter where you sync to your surroundings and get new missions every day and stuff. Nice multiplayer.

Coconut dodge revitalised - From FuturLabs, same as Surge and Velocity. Again not a true Vita exclusive, but at least a Playstation exclusive. It came as a mini first.Still like a mini, but with trophies and adapted for the Vita screen. Very cheap and fun imo.

And some... funz :D

Lumines: electronic symphony

Super monkey ball: banana splitz - good as the old Monkey ball games.

Touch my Katamari - In case you haven't aquinted yourself with Katamari damacy already, this is a very good opportunity to do so.

This was news to me two weeks ago and just moments ago respectively, and I've had my Vita for a year :P So good mentions.

And exactly zero Japanese games were mentioned in this post.

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

And exactly zero Japanese games were mentioned in this post.

Haha, stunning, isn't it? :D

Sorry if I ruin the fun, but aren't Frobisher says, Destiny of spirits, Lumines, Monkey ball and Katamari Japanese games? Or you mean games with Japanese art style? Well that still counts them.

Haha, stunning, isn't it? :D

Sorry if I ruin the fun, but aren't Frobisher says, Destiny of spirits, Lumines, Monkey ball and Katamari Japanese games? Or you mean games with Japanese art style? Well that still counts them.

Well Katamari is a strange I'll admit that, I'll include it in the Japanese-crazy games...

Also, how are download speeds on the Vita? My internet speed is pretty good, but my PS3 is quite slow. Is the Vita around the same download speed as PS3/faster/slower?

The download speed on your vita is based on the speed of your internet speed, not from the PS3's speed. So you should be okay with downloading games. It may take no more than an hour for a game of decent memory size to fully finish downloading.

Yes, you can play while charging.

The Vita can handle only one account.

A 8-16GB memory card should be enough.

You can´t play online on the go with the 3G model, only with a WiFi connection.

The battery life lasts fully charged for 5 hours.

Gravity Rush, Uncharted, Soul Sacrifice, Rogue Legecy, Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed, Persona 4, Y´s, The Walking Dead, Virtues Last Reward, Danganronpa, Freedom Wars, Killzone, Velocity 2X, The Binding of Isaac and some other indies are the best titles on the Vita.

If you like handhelds, you should definetely check out a 3DS or New 3DS! Nintendos handheld might not be as powerfull as Sonys, but it´s definetely worth it. The 3DS has a great, great and consistently increasing library of awesome and games like 3 The Legend of Zelda games and 2 Monster Hunter games.

If I had to choose which of my handhelds I can keep, I would definetely choose the 3DS over the Vita even though I love and use my Vita a lot more, but the 3DS has simply the better games to me :P

Sure the 3DS has "better games" than the Vita in your opinion (which I am in no way saying that your opinion doesn't matter), but at least Vita is picking up the pace on their japanese/jrpg type games.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...