Can-Do Creature

StewartBros

Has anyone else had a great deal of trouble with this trophy?  I'm mainly using the ERC-X dog which was bought as DLC, due to its high life bar and increased Hunger gauge.  It's equipped with the Patapon Plush, which raises the Hunger gauge from 60 to 70, and also the Flirty Frames glasses, taking the gauge up to 75.  The main problem is that the game tends to throw as many obstacles at me as it can, all at the same time.  I generally end up having to go to Area X to find a specific building/sign, or to claim that area from animal type Z.  When I get there, the area is either running low on food or is full of dangerous predators such as lions and crocodiles, and as you know, the latter can't be clean killed.  Or maybe it's full of herbivorous animals that are too big to clean kill, such as horses, cows and hippos.  Nearly every time I have to go to an area that is far away from a sewer access point, such as Dogenzaka or Yamanote Line West, the area starts filling up with toxic smog which starts to poison me, and said area will also run low on food most of the time.  If there is an abundance of food in a toxic area, it's usually unsafe to eat, and the water is poisoned as well, so I can't last long there.  If I have to kill 35 animals, they're almost guaranteed to be bigger than me, which can pose a problem.  Lions and tigers can be clean killed, but lions are rarely found alone, and the "kill 35 animals" or "eat 4,000/5,000 Kcal" missions almost always coincide with another objective that is set in the northern part of the map, which is where dangerous predators are most commonly found.

Perhaps some of it is down to poor decision making on my part, or maybe ERC-X just has a tough set of challenges (I know they're randomly generated, but still), or maybe the game is just designed to be as unfair as possible once you get past the 30 year mark, but surely I can't be the only one having so much trouble with this trophy?  King Of The Jungle was easy compared to this.  Which animals did you guys use to get this done?  I read somewhere that completing the Story unlocks another robot dog that doesn't need to eat, just drink water - is this true?

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Use black panther, it's fast and can assassinate almost every animal, maybe except highest rank grazers. Check all the challenges at the begining, if you see ,,eat xxx kcal" or ,,kill xx creatures" as A/S category, start again. Always check food level, mate whenever you can, always with prime mate. At least thats what I did.

• Like 1

I'm working on unlocking the black panther, as several people have said that it's easy to do with him.  Currently playing the Jackal and trying to kill the Lycaon boss so I can unlock him and keep going till I get to the Panther, but I haven't managed to do so yet.

The robot dog sounds good, but some of the areas in the game have very little water available, which could prove problematic.  For example, all of the water in the Sewer is polluted, so that's not safe to drink, and if any area above ground becomes polluted, its water usually does too, so then the dog would be left with no safe water OR food.  Nothing for it but to keep going and hope for the best.  I'm on Chapter 12 in the story though, so it won't take me much longer to finish it and unlock the dogs.

EDIT:  I actually just managed to get this done with the Lycaon, believe it or not.  My first time loading Survival with him, I managed to get lucky and get a set of A & S rank challenges that were fairly easy.  A ranks were to change generations twice, mark 10 times and head for Shibuya Station.  S ranks were to also change generations twice, score 7 clean kills, and find BuJin.  The S rank years started getting hairy as I spent most of my time in Shibuya Woods due to the abundance of food it had at the time... but most of that food was comprised of tigers, crocodiles and dinosaurs, none of which could be clean killed.  I lucked out again though and found a bunch of pigs and hyenas ambling around, so clean killed enough of them, then mated for the last time with about 30 seconds remaining.  About time I got this done.

Edited by StewartBros
  • Like 2

• 6 years later...
1 hour ago, VoidVictorious said:

I just started this and I have no idea what I am doing. Would anyone be willing to chat about it on PSN or discord vocally so I could ask some questions? 

The tutorial is quite helpful, for the most basic things.

it's been a loooooong time, so I may not be 100% remembering correctly, but there's two modes. Story and Survival. Completing a story campaign unlocks things for use slowly for Survival. And beating challenges (iirc) in Survival unlocks the next story campaign. As you progress through these, you get better/stronger animal choices to control yourself, etc.

But in either mode, other than doing a possible task etc, you're basically always on the hunt to refill your hunger/thirst bar and need to last as long as possible. If you pick a carnivore animal, kill other BIGGER animals by positioning yourself in stealth (using tall grass etc), or while they aren't looking, so the bite marks appear for a super critical attack (also, you'll want to avoid them using this type of critical attack on you). Otherwise, just attack smaller animals regularly. Big or small, once they're dead, eat them to fill your hunger back up. In some cases, its best to just avoid certain predators entirely. Avoid eating purple animals, as they're poisonous, unless you're literally starving (there's negative effects of course being poisoned, but its better than dying of hunger.) If you pick a grazer (vegetarian animal) instead, there will be patches of vegetation around the map to eat instead, and you'll just need kill predators in the same manner as above to get by them, or try to sneak past them. Whichever character you choose, you will have a lifespan in years, and as you get closer to old age, your hunger bar you can refill gets shorter and shorter, and eventually disappears altogether.

Your max lifespan is usually 15 - 20 years. To avoid dying of old age, you must approach and mate with an opposite gender that appears randomly on the map. Begin by eating enough food to become "attractive for mating" so a partner animal will follow you, and then take it to a mating spot on the map. There's varying options of partners to pick from: Poor, Average and Prime. Prime partners have sparkles, average are normal looking, and the poor choices have a black symbol. Two random choices will be on the map somewhere, so try to pick the best one you can. In order to get the better tier partners to agree to follow you, you'll need to eat and kill more animals to meet its requirement. After mating, your offspring is now the new character you'll control. Depending on the grade of your mate, you'll have more or less lives, aka the extra children following your main character, should your main animal you control die.

Other than that, rinse and repeat. 

Points of interest are on the mini-map, highlighting food / water sources, and items you can equip to make yourself more powerful. Mating opportunities appear as hearts. I think theres a few other things. Not all areas are accessible from the start, you'll have to alternate between the modes as they unlock. 

Edited by B1rvine

7 hours ago, B1rvine said:

The tutorial is quite helpful, for the most basic things.

it's been a loooooong time, so I may not be 100% remembering correctly, but there's two modes. Story and Survival. Completing a story campaign unlocks things for use slowly for Survival. And beating challenges (iirc) in Survival unlocks the next story campaign. As you progress through these, you get better/stronger animal choices to control yourself, etc.

But in either mode, other than doing a possible task etc, you're basically always on the hunt to refill your hunger/thirst bar and need to last as long as possible. If you pick a carnivore animal, kill other BIGGER animals by positioning yourself in stealth (using tall grass etc), or while they aren't looking, so the bite marks appear for a super critical attack (also, you'll want to avoid them using this type of critical attack on you). Otherwise, just attack smaller animals regularly. Big or small, once they're dead, eat them to fill your hunger back up. In some cases, its best to just avoid certain predators entirely. Avoid eating purple animals, as they're poisonous, unless you're literally starving (there's negative effects of course being poisoned, but its better than dying of hunger.) If you pick a grazer (vegetarian animal) instead, there will be patches of vegetation around the map to eat instead, and you'll just need kill predators in the same manner as above to get by them, or try to sneak past them. Whichever character you choose, you will have a lifespan in years, and as you get closer to old age, your hunger bar you can refill gets shorter and shorter, and eventually disappears altogether.

Your max lifespan is usually 15 - 20 years. To avoid dying of old age, you must approach and mate with an opposite gender that appears randomly on the map. Begin by eating enough food to become "attractive for mating" so a partner animal will follow you, and then take it to a mating spot on the map. There's varying options of partners to pick from: Poor, Average and Prime. Prime partners have sparkles, average are normal looking, and the poor choices have a black symbol. Two random choices will be on the map somewhere, so try to pick the best one you can. In order to get the better tier partners to agree to follow you, you'll need to eat and kill more animals to meet its requirement. After mating, your offspring is now the new character you'll control. Depending on the grade of your mate, you'll have more or less lives, aka the extra children following your main character, should your main animal you control die.

Other than that, rinse and repeat. 

Points of interest are on the mini-map, highlighting food / water sources, and items you can equip to make yourself more powerful. Mating opportunities appear as hearts. I think theres a few other things. Not all areas are accessible from the start, you'll have to alternate between the modes as they unlock. 

Do you have any recommendations for can do creature?

6 hours ago, VoidVictorious said:

I don't think any of these trophies will truly pose too much challenge. This one and maybe surviving 100 years will be the hardest. The game is a 4.5 to 5 difficulty at best. 

Basically, you get three challenges and they recycle every so many years, so you'll need to complete all three before the next set comes up each time. My advice is to just play the game and enjoy it for a bit, while learning the routes you can take, general animal packs spawn locations, unlocking animal choices and learning which works best for you (the wolves or panthers are probably easiest for challenges). Once you have a feel for the game and how it works, it's basically about good strategy and good planning.

If you know the challenges are about to recycle, you might just want to wait and do nothing for a moment, in order to see what the next challenges are to make it slightly easier on yourself. For example, if you're right next to a mating den and going to mate anyway, instead of doing so, wait for the challenges to show up, because if happens to be "mate so many times in X time limit" then you'll basically have a freebie that you can do instantly. In general, right before the challenges recycle, you should wait before doing anything. E.g, those easy kills might be a few less for the "Kill so many animals challenge" etc that are now no longer options if you killed them right before the challenge started.

Other times, if the challenge was to "eat / kill so much etc" I might just go on an eating spree on poisonous animals to fulfill the requirement, and rush to a mating spot to start the next life. In general, I usually had a partner I could mate with following me for awhile, so I could mate strategically, instead of doing it the moment I got them to follow me. Also, you're not required to eat animals the moment they die. TDLR : try to play strategically.

The final set of challenges are the S rank ones, so if comes down to completing the challenges at the cost of lasting longer overall for 100 years, pick one trophy to focus on, and worry about the other next game. Generally, it's good to do challenges anyway.

Edited by B1rvine

• 5 months later...
On 13/4/2021 at 5:41 AM, VoidVictorious said:

I see you already 100% the game, however for newcomers I should say that in my case I got it with the Cheetah some hours ago. I chose that animal due to it's speed (the highest in the game).

I managed to get to 70 something years but couldn't go past that due to velociraptors packs present in all Shibuya maps. Although a wolf ended my run thanks to toxicity spoiling even fresh meat and also I wasn't pushing myself as much as I could since it's was too late and was already sleepy.

The pro of using that animal besides its speed is that it can stealth kill most big animals (lions, tigers, bears, hippos, crocs, buffalos, I think giraffes too), only velociraptors and most likely elephants and other fossil record animals are an exception. Direct confrontation against those animals is not advised unless they are alone and you are in a pack of your own. Whenever I ran into a bunch of any of those animals, I tried to escape to a less populated/higher ground area or run away as much as possible to be able to hide inside a bush. 

Since the hunger of the cheetah is low you will have to kill several animals on your way to your objectives and to rank up or just to fill your hunger, defeating several animals will most of the times be your aim. Big animals are great to rank up. 

Besides the packs of predators the worst enemy of the game is toxicity, it can not only spoil your just hunted food but also screw your life gauge, so having healing items and a portable bed helps a lot.

The other annoying thing is night since you can not see from afar if a pack of predators is lurking closeby. Because of that I tried to change generations at night as much as possible so that the offsprings will be able to walk a little safer on daylight. 

Besides playing enough to get familiarized with the cheetah, I always tried to ranked up wherever there was more food before heading to a target destination so that I could change generations there or in the closest region. A prime female was always my aim but an average one (or even a desperate one) did it if I was running out of time or to save it.

For toxicity I tried to go to other regions with lesser toxicity or change generations, healing items helped me to stay alive to do so.

Edited by Deceptrox
  • Like 1