Senran Kagura Fans!

Mr_McNight

• 2 weeks later...

Udon Entertainment are publishing the Senran Kagura: Official Design Works art book in the U.S., the publisher has announced. The book collects artwork from Senran KaguraSenran Kagura Burst, and Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus.

The book, which features art by Nan Yaegashi, will include character designs, pinups, in-game artwork, and character profiles, as well as interview with the game’s developers.

A release date for Senran Kagura: Official Design Works hasn’t been announced yet.

sk_art.jpg

BAAsCkCCUAA2UbC.jpg

I know this series gets a lot of flak for being...less than subtle, but I'd just thought I'd point out something I found interesting (probably quite a few people already know this). The character Yagyu looks like she's wearing an eyepatch, but that's in fact the guard from a katana, which is called a tsuba. That'll be important in a minute. In Japanese history, there's a samurai named Yagyu Jubei. Historically, he was the son of Yagyu Munenori, a samurai who taught swordsmanship to a few of the Tokugawa shoguns and was a very important retainer in the shogun's court. There's conflicting stories, but one recurring legend was that Yagyu Jubei lost an eye in a sparring session with his father. Now, Yagyu Jubei is a oft-romanticized figure in Japanese entertainment, like manga, anime, and especially movies. Most famously he was portrayed by actor Sonny Chiba in a couple of my favorite Japanese movies like Samurai Reincarnation and Shogun's Samurai (and would later go on to be Hattori Hanzo in Kill Bill). Yagyu Jubei, when they choose to go with the legend of him losing an eye in a sparring session, is almost invariably portrayed as a one-eyed samurai who wears a tsuba over his missing eye, like so:

sonny-chiba-yagyu-abaretabi-remastered-u

Anyway, amidst all the boobs and butts, I thought that was a nice detail that probably flew over a couple people's heads.

Japanese are known for these fun references =D

Though, it's most likely only why Yagyuu is named Yagyuu.

Because the eyepatch is there for different reason. She has not lost her eye.

But I can see producers creating the backstory first and then name taken from this analogy :)