How do you define "sports"?

Dreakon139

Just something that came to mind. I've had this argument with friends before, do you include things like Poker, NASCAR, etc. in your definition of "sports"? The math olympics? :P

Or are sports just limited to athletics and the typical football/soccer, basketball, hockey, etc?

Where do you draw the line?

I agree with the definition as provided by Google:

sport/spôrt/

Noun: An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.

Now, that would not include Poker, NASCAR (iffy here, nonetheless.. racing is a category of its own right), and 'math' Olympics simply because of the lack of "physical exertion." I'd honestly have to say I would include many things a sport, such as the log cutting events often shown on ESPN. I don't particularly enjoy those without a few rounds of beer, but they are physically exerting themselves in an environment ultimately governed by a set of rules in which they compete against others.

• Like 1

very simple, dear sir...*ahem*

....anything that isnt golf, cheerleading, polo......and sorry, but not girls lacrosse (it was made later, if you ever watch it, and watch a men's lax game after, youll notice why)

I´d say sport has its own definiton by multiple societies on on this earth..

Example: Some say sport is and activity where you have to get exhaused while others say it´s a activity where you only use your arms ..

But even some say killing people or animals is a sport of theirs . And here i could reference to criminals or let´s say hunting.

And when it comes to this point of you you could say that a hobby is a sport .. internet freaks sometimes define net development or even hacking as a sport ..

So sport has its own definition by multiple cultures and societies on this earth

Soccer. Soccer is not a sport because you can't use your arms. Anything where you can't use your arms can't be a sport. Tap dancing isn't a sport. I rest my case.

Nuff said! :P

If you're the Goalkeeper you have to use your arms, and I've seen enough outfield players use their arms in various ways illegally. I rest my case :P