Buying a new PC case

Venocide

I'm looking to purchase a new PC case and I'd like some advice. My knowledge on the insides of a PC are very very slim, infact I'll be paying someone to transfer everything from the old case to the other. What I wanna know is, is it as simple as that? I can't help but think that something is not gonna fit inside my new case. This is the one I'm after, unless someone can suggest something better around the £100 - £175 mark. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-Storm-Stryker-XL-ATX/dp/B0083XVWSA/ref=sr_1_7?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1431005163&sr=1-7&keywords=Cooler+Master

that case should fit micro atx, standard and XL atx sized boards, and has plenty of room for any cooler setup you might have. since you claim to not know much i'm gonna assume you haven't done anything special to your current setup that'd be a potential issue. very stylish case!

http://gaming.coolermaster.com/en/products/cases/stryker/

Edited by usrmd
  • Like 1

That's one of the biggest cases you can get, if your PC doesn't fit in that.. I dunno, you're gonna have issues finding any case.

But I have heard pretty good things about Cooler Master cases, so that is one of the best brands you can get. :) I'm more of a NZXT Phantom fan though :P.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. :)

That's one of the biggest cases you can get, if your PC doesn't fit in that.. I dunno, you're gonna have issues finding any case.

But I have heard pretty good things about Cooler Master cases, so that is one of the best brands you can get. :) I'm more of a NZXT Phantom fan though :P.

I'm pretty sure everything from my old case will fit in this new one haha it's just things like the motherboard, I'm sure it has to be a certain type.  

NZXT Phantom? Before I came across the Cooler Master the NZXT Phantom was the case I had my eye, this one to be exact: http://www.amazon.co.uk/NZXT-Phantom-USB-Tower-Chassis/dp/B003WE9WR8/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1431127293&sr=8-7&keywords=NZXT+Phantom

I know that the CM is a big case but after watching this video, it's bigger than I thought, I have shelves above my desk so I'd have to remove one to fit it on there xD

edit:

After watching it again, I think I may go for the Phantom instead. It's a really nice case but I think it's gonna be too big. 

Edited by Venocide

Thanks everyone. :)

I'm pretty sure everything from my old case will fit in this new one haha it's just things like the motherboard, I'm sure it has to be a certain type.  

NZXT Phantom? Before I came across the Cooler Master the NZXT Phantom was the case I had my eye, this one to be exact: http://www.amazon.co.uk/NZXT-Phantom-USB-Tower-Chassis/dp/B003WE9WR8/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1431127293&sr=8-7&keywords=NZXT+Phantom

I know that the CM is a big case but after watching this video, it's bigger than I thought, I have shelves above my desk so I'd have to remove one to fit it on there xD

edit:

After watching it again, I think I may go for the Phantom instead. It's a really nice case but I think it's gonna be too big. 

No, it doesn't have to be a certain type as far as I'm aware.  Although if you have a XL-ATX motherboard, then that is the ideal case, most cases allow you to put in smaller motherboards than they are made for but then there's kind of the point, why you found it necessarily to get a case that big then if you aren't gonna be using it all.

Check the measurements on Amazon, I'm getting a build with the Phantom 410 case and that is even bigger than what I thought it would be.. although I am a fan of big cases, it's a wonder why I didn't go with the full tower one xD  BTW, there is new Phantom cases coming out: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-164-NX&groupid=2362&catid=35

What size of a motherboard do you have anyways?

No, it doesn't have to be a certain type as far as I'm aware.  Although if you have a XL-ATX motherboard, then that is the ideal case, most cases allow you to put in smaller motherboards than they are made for but then there's kind of the point, why you found it necessarily to get a case that big then if you aren't gonna be using it all.

Check the measurements on Amazon, I'm getting a build with the Phantom 410 case and that is even bigger than what I thought it would be.. although I am a fan of big cases, it's a wonder why I didn't go with the full tower one xD  BTW, there is new Phantom cases coming out: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-164-NX&groupid=2362&catid=35

What size of a motherboard do you have anyways?

I have no idea what size my motherboard is, I took a picture of it, might give you some idea lol. 

20150509_122310.jpg

I have no idea what size my motherboard is, I took a picture of it, might give you some idea lol. 

20150509_122310.jpg

Looking from this image supplied, it looks like a ATX motherboard which will easily fit inside the cooler master CM storm Stryker, if your looking for a cheap case i would recommend this case which i just recently build my gaming PC in   http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fractal-Design-Define-Pearl-Window/dp/B00Q2Z143Y/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1431173340&sr=1-2&keywords=fractal+define+r5

• Like 1

20150509_122310.jpg

It looks like a ATX to me.  Although without knowing the model it's hard to say.  If it is an ATX, then that will fit into a mid tower, it'll save you money as you don't need a full tower for what you have really (it doesn't look like its a full tower you have at the moment).  I recommend the one I'm getting: http://www.amazon.co.uk/NZXT-Phantom-Midi-Tower-Chassis/dp/B006I2H04I, it should be good enough for your build, think the mid tower one comes in the red too that you had linked of the full tower.

Overall, just make sure it supports your water/liquid cooling, most cases do these days though.

• Like 1

It looks like a ATX to me.  Although without knowing the model it's hard to say.  If it is an ATX, then that will fit into a mid tower, it'll save you money as you don't need a full tower for what you have really (it doesn't look like its a full tower you have at the moment).  I recommend the one I'm getting: http://www.amazon.co.uk/NZXT-Phantom-Midi-Tower-Chassis/dp/B006I2H04I, it should be good enough for your build, think the mid tower one comes in the red too that you had linked of the full tower.

Overall, just make sure it supports your water/liquid cooling, most cases do these days though.

Nah I don't have a full tower. I've checked out the other towers people have linked and the NZXT Phantom 410 catches my eye the most, I was gonna go for the red but the white case looks damn good as well.  I'll give the CM a miss, it looks very nice but as I said, it's way to big. 

Thanks for the advice everyone, I very much appreciate it! :D

Dude, your PC kind of dirty. Make sure your parts are going in that new case clean. Also canned air to remove the dust blocking the fans every 8-10 months will keep it looking brand new (I have a reusable one and its also great for consoles when youre cleaning hard to each areas like inside buttons and other electronics too)

I just fixed a PC where the fans had rusted shut due to the amount of dust that had built up over many years. It was on the GPU and the whole thing had to be replaced.

Edited by Hailst0rm_2

Yes, I should have maybe mentioned that too, get canned air, can get them at like computer stores like Curry's, I clean my PC every 3 or so months (my room is like a dust magnet), it's also good for things like Keyboard if you get the ones that come with the straw.  Only use in quick bursts though, never hold the button down.

Yeah, I haven't cleaned it for some time. I just bought 12 air dusters xD

This is the tower I'm gonna go with http://www.amazon.co.uk/NZXT-Phantom-Chassis-Changing-Control/dp/B009QZH26A/ref=sr_1_3?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1431425689&sr=1-3&keywords=NZXT+Phantom+820

Why are you spending 180 on a pc case, based on the picture you posted you don't even need a full tower to begin with. Also 950w power supply for just a 670 wut, did someone build this for you?

Why are you spending 180 on a pc case, based on the picture you posted you don't even need a full tower to begin with. Also 950w power supply for just a 670 wut, did someone build this for you?

Because I can, and yes someone did build it for me.

Cases can last forever, nothing wrong with getting a nice one. Also that 950 watt power supply is very low quality, you want to go way over the recommended amount in those situations because the way PSU's work is they're rated for a certain wattage but can only provide a percentage of that. My first PC was also a cyberpower, and I definitely needed that extra wattage in the long run because it was just barely enough for sli.

There's nothing really wrong with that build.

Edited by Hailst0rm_2

Cases can last forever, nothing wrong with getting a nice one. Also that 950 watt power supply is very low quality, you want to go way over the recommended amount in those situations because the way PSU's work is they're rated for a certain wattage but can only provide a percentage of that. My first PC was also a cyberpower, and I definitely needed that extra wattage in the long run because it was just barely enough for sli.

There's nothing really wrong with that build.

Why would get that psu in the first place instead of something good, it makes no sense.

I'm looking to purchase a new PC case and I'd like some advice. My knowledge on the insides of a PC are very very slim, infact I'll be paying someone to transfer everything from the old case to the other. What I wanna know is, is it as simple as that? I can't help but think that something is not gonna fit inside my new case. This is the one I'm after, unless someone can suggest something better around the £100 - £175 mark. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooler-Master-Storm-Stryker-XL-ATX/dp/B0083XVWSA/ref=sr_1_7?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1431005163&sr=1-7&keywords=Cooler+Master

what is your price range? Get a tower that has good ventilation

I'm using a Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced, good fan ports; sturdy case however since its a ATX Full Tower, its heavy to carry; not really mobile in terms of mid-towers

and it s a good price too, right now on NewEgg is 119.99 (after rebate); its a bit expensive but you can try and wait.

Also NEVER BUY COMPUTER HARDWARE AND PARTS OUTSIDE OF NEWEGG! Amazon and other places are shit with RMA returns and plus NewEgg has rebates given.

what is your price range? Get a tower that has good ventilation

I'm using a Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced, good fan ports; sturdy case however since its a ATX Full Tower, its heavy to carry; not really mobile in terms of mid-towers

and it s a good price too, right now on NewEgg is 119.99 (after rebate); its a bit expensive but you can try and wait.

Also NEVER BUY COMPUTER HARDWARE AND PARTS OUTSIDE OF NEWEGG! Amazon and other places are shit with RMA returns and plus NewEgg has rebates given.

That's not true at all. Amazon is fantastic, they actually gave me a 20% refund for the GTX 970 Vram issue 4 months after purchasing the card. I don't know about RMA but isn't that what the manufacturer warranty is for?

That's not true at all. Amazon is fantastic, they actually gave me a 20% refund for the GTX 970 Vram issue 4 months after purchasing the card. I don't know about RMA but isn't that what the manufacturer warranty is for?

Amazon has a high rate of DOA items compare to NewEgg, NewEgg has several direct contracts with the manufacturers themselves and offers better incentives than Amazon, Amazon has little to no established contracts with parts manufacturers; they only use the standard defined guidelines that are given to 'regular, non-special' vendors. NewEgg gives all full refunds or honors RMA processes compare to other places. This is why, you see manufacturers responding to any consumer dissatisfaction immediately compare to other sites and see better deals on NewEgg (even though they are expensive at times). You have to wait different times at Newegg to get good deals. 

Amazon has a high rate of DOA items compare to NewEgg, NewEgg has several direct contracts with the manufacturers themselves and offers better incentives than Amazon, Amazon has little to no established contracts with parts manufacturers; they only use the standard defined guidelines that are given to 'regular, non-special' vendors. NewEgg gives all full refunds or honors RMA processes compare to other places. This is why, you see manufacturers responding to any consumer dissatisfaction immediately compare to other sites and see better deals on NewEgg (even though they are expensive at times). You have to wait different times at Newegg to get good deals. 

Also manufacturer does not usually respond to their standard warranty policies; essentially they're useless or 50/50 (also they renege on their own policies in some cases; so they leave you dry).

Also manufacturer does not usually respond to their standard warranty policies; essentially they're useless or 50/50 (also they renege on their own policies in some cases; so they leave you dry).

I never had an issue with DOA items, Amazon will always side with the buyer though. In the first 30 days you can return the item free of charge and will be refunded in full and they even do free pickups directly from your house.

Newegg wasn't offering a full refund to 970 owners, they did match amazons 20% partial refund though.

The manufacturer has always responded when I need to RMA something. I have a gigabyte GPU, a company which isn't exactly known for great customer support. They were a few days late but approved it anyway.

I don't know in which situations those contracts would make a difference exactly (maybe something the manufacturer won't want to cover like coil whine) but imo they're both great. I use both and just order from whoever offers the best deal.

Edited by Hailst0rm_2

Make sure you check the measurements of that case you have picked as I have the Phantom 410 now and it's quite on the big side for a Mid-Tower, since you said the Cooler Master full tower might have been too big, could be the same case for the Phantom you have picked.