Controls are terrible

Tomoko Kuroki

I played up til the first boss ( spider ) and this game has the worse controls I've ever seen in a video game, the rolling is horrible. Is there anything else you can do or do you have to just deal with the side rolls, because if that's the case I'm gonna just stop the game right now, these controls are really terrible.

Edit : Nevermind tips, I just gave up, these controls are out of this world.

Edited by Tomoko Kuroki
  • Like 1

I played up til the first boss ( spider ) and this game has the worse controls I've ever seen in a video game, the rolling is horrible. Is there anything else you can do or do you have to just deal with the side rolls, because if that's the case I'm gonna just stop the game right now, these controls are really terrible.

Edit : Nevermind tips, I just gave up, these controls are out of this world.

Hey dude I was thinking of doing this for a future group playthrough like the bioshock and Okami ones i did, if i did this would you be motivated to playthrough this with a group?

It's an early 2000 PS2 game port that started out as Resident Evil 4, so the controls are going to be pretty awkward. You kind of get used to them the more you practice. It's actually the camera that screws you over more because it's at a fixed angle. But once you get used to it you can do it. You just have to get a feel for it. Devil May Cry 3 fixes this though.

• Like 2

I'm so glad DMC3 was my first DMC game.

I actually started with 2 even in the PS2 days, and I think that turned me away from it until the HD collection. But when I got the HD collection I went with 2 again, and then 1, but after I got frustrated with the controls and difficulty I went to 3. Once I got to 3 I didn't get past the first mini-boss and didn't think I could beat any of them. But then once I got the hang of it, the mini-boss and Phantom were easy. I think the hard part is transitioning from 3 to 1, or just starting out with 1 really, especially when you're used to modern controls. I would really hate to see the OP give up because of that.

• Like 2

The controls are not terrible, it's just you that's not used to them. If you keep trying i'm sure you'll master it.

Also, about the rolling, rolling is not the best way to dodge attacks (most of the time), the jump animation has invincibility frames so once you learn that you'll see yourself jumping more often rather than rolling to the sides. I know the rolling animation also has some invincibility frames but you can jump toward any direction, while you can only roll to the left or right. 

I actually started with 2 even in the PS2 days, and I think that turned me away from it until the HD collection. But when I got the HD collection I went with 2 again, and then 1, but after I got frustrated with the controls and difficulty I went to 3. Once I got to 3 I didn't get past the first mini-boss and didn't think I could beat any of them. But then once I got the hang of it, the mini-boss and Phantom were easy. I think the hard part is transitioning from 3 to 1, or just starting out with 1 really, especially when you're used to modern controls. I would really hate to see the OP give up because of that.

Yeah that first mini-boss in DMC3 was very hard. I felt so proud after finally beating it.... and then I had to face Cerberus >_<. DMC3 was one of the hardest games I played on the PS2 at that time. Probably because I was around 14 or so.

Yeah that first mini-boss in DMC3 was very hard. I felt so proud after finally beating it.... and then I had to face Cerberus >_<. DMC3 was one of the hardest games I played on the PS2 at that time. Probably because I was around 14 or so.

That's what makes DMC3 awesome. You think the boss you fought was the hardest you've ever faced until you get to the next one :P

• 3 years later...