This is about fanfics...

Sonny_FIRESTORM

So I've been writing stuff out of boredom and something's strange happened:

Before I used to try writing stuff based on Pokemon and Digimon, but lately I been writing a story that wasn't really based off anything.

No already existing universe, no major overhauls from other franchises, just random ideas placed in the right places and it came into being.

And that is just my issue:

Since I don't really have a Category to place it under (currently under "Misc. Games") I'm getting an awfully low number of views and no comments whatsoever...

What should I do? (Place it under another category, try another site altogether, something else...?)

P.S. Just to be clear, I don't care (that much) about the views, what I'm intersted in is some feedback to know what I'm doing wrong (or right) and improve my writing.

P.S.S. Thanks in advance for hearing me out.

To improve your writing stop writing fanfics...like immediately. Learn to craft your own ideas into a story and try not to just copy things you have seen on TV. Start by writing funny or interesting anecdotes that happened in your daily life (things you have seen at school, work, on the bus, in line getting a coffee etc.) as this is a great way to help you start creating scenes and characters.

Go people watching (at the mall, at the market, bus, church etc.) The problem with a lot of new writers is they don't know how to write interesting characters. They usually all sound the same or they sound like someone you see on TV/Movie. By observing people you will get to learn a lot of different voices, mannerisms, quirks and then you can work those into stories down the road. Start by writing back stories about people you meet during the day and then try to create a story using 3 or 4 of those people.

The main thing is to keep writing and don't be so quick to upload things you write. Actually take time to edit your own work and then seek out people around you to read your stuff and take their ideas and criticism and work on your stories more. The problem with the Internet is people are so quick to upload everything they do and don't actually take the time to master a craft. Look for writing groups around you or take some classes at a university/high school.

• Like 1

To improve your writing stop writing fanfics...like immediately. Learn to craft your own ideas into a story and try not to just copy things you have seen on TV. Start by writing funny or interesting anecdotes that happened in your daily life (things you have seen at school, work, on the bus, in line getting a coffee etc.) as this is a great way to help you start creating scenes and characters.

Go people watching (at the mall, at the market, bus, church etc.) The problem with a lot of new writers is they don't know how to write interesting characters. They usually all sound the same or they sound like someone you see on TV/Movie. By observing people you will get to learn a lot of different voices, mannerisms, quirks and then you can work those into stories down the road. Start by writing back stories about people you meet during the day and then try to create a story using 3 or 4 of those people.

The main thing is to keep writing and don't be so quick to upload things you write. Actually take time to edit your own work and then seek out people around you to read your stuff and take their ideas and criticism and work on your stories more. The problem with the Internet is people are so quick to upload everything they do and don't actually take the time to master a craft. Look for writing groups around you or take some classes at a university/high school.

Hm, I get the feeling you didn't quite get my point... (like, I agree with most of what you said and I think those were very good points, but I was hoping to get a suggestion regarding what should I do with that story I'm writing)

Not trying to lure you in or anything, but wouldn't you be interested in reading some of it? (Compared to others i've seen it seems to be on the short side)

If you're looking for feedback on your fanfics, then a trophy hunting forum is definitely not the place to be posting them. You should find a community that's for fanfics. People there will more willing to read them and give feedback.

If you're looking for feedback on your fanfics, then a trophy hunting forum is definitely not the place to be posting them. You should find a community that's for fanfics. People there will more willing to read them and give feedback.

Yeah, but since I already had an account here and this IS the off-topic section, I decided to do this ASAP just in case I forgot "the next day" (which is today)

What kind of fanfiction is it?

Like I said, it doesn't happen in any already existing universe. As of right now, the story is about 2 guys (15 yrs old) working to "free" their city of the strange zombies that roam at night (strange because, not only they're gone before the sun rises, it seems no one has noticed them "for some reason")

but if i ever get to write the rest, the story will take a somewhat diferent course past the first arc (as in, zombies will still be present, but there will be other threats coming into play)

I have an idea for a Justice League fanfic where Clayface, under the orders of a unknown client, begins murdering league members, including Superman (shot with a kryptonite bullet in the head) and The Flash (Killed with liquid nitrogen), under the guise of Batman. As a result, Batman is labeled a threat by both the government and the justice league, who expose his identity and confiscate all his assets and allies in an effort to bring him in.

On the run and left with nowhere or no one to turn to, Batman finds himself literally alone against the world, as he tries to uncover who is behind this sinister plot.

What do you all think?

I think you will be wasting your time posting fanfiction here.  Sure there's a few members who probably read and enjoy it, but that's a few.  This is mainly a trophy hunting/gaming site.. I don't really know of any sites that allow fanfiction submissions apart from DeviantART, but your stuff will probably get more attention there than it would here.  Same with critique as a lot of us do have writing skills for guides and so on, but we couldn't critique you from a story point of view.  For example, I have written many guides and reviews but I wouldn't be able to critique your fiction work simply because I don't read fiction much at all and haven't written any myself apart from projects years ago at High School (and they weren't fanfictions, they were actual fictions, but I was never really any good at writing a story).

Am I actually the only one here who is interested in reading your work, regardless of anything else ? I'm a bit busy these days, but give me a link and I'll be sure to give it a read and give you some feedback on it.

For once, I disagree with you Dr_Mayus. I read an awful lot of fanfics and while it's true that I've read through a lot of garbage, it's also true that I've read a lot of good stories that did have interesting characters/overhauls and a plot worth reading.To be honest, most of the time when I'm reading a story(book) by a highly acclaimed writer, I often find it boring because they tend to fill an unnecessary amount of pages with details that don't even contribute to the story in the slightest. (e.g. "Pier en Oceaan" by Oek De Jong is a Dutch book that won one of the 3 anual Dutch literature prizes last year (Gouden BoekenUil if you want to know). I read all 600 pages just to find out that it could've actually been written in 300) All because the writers spend too much attention on describing the scene... When I read something, I'm all for the plot, my imagination can think of a scene where it takes place just fine without all these details.

Edited by DarKNesS_X

For once, I disagree with you Dr_Mayus. I read an awful lot of fanfics and while it's true that I've read through a lot of garbage, it's also true that I've read a lot of good stories that did have interesting characters/overhauls and a plot worth reading.To be honest, most of the time when I'm reading a story(book) by a highly acclaimed writer, I often find it boring because they tend to fill an unnecessary amount of pages with details that don't even contribute to the story in the slightest. (e.g. "Pier en Oceaan" by Oek De Jong is a Dutch book that won one of the 3 anual Dutch literature prizes last year (Gouden BoekenUil if you want to know). I read all 600 pages just to find out that it could've actually been written in 300) All because the writers spend too much attention on describing the scene... When I read something, I'm all for the plot, my imagination can think of a scene where it takes place just fine without all these details.

I must gain back the trust :o

I am not saying a fanfic can't be well written, but in the end it isn't your story and it would serve better to try and write something of your own. It is like the new TMNT film (well old by this point but you know what I mean). It was dumb and pointless but a lot of the hate it got was because it took beloved characters and gave a new spin on them. If they had just told a different story about mutant crimefighters it would have been still stupid but it wouldn't have had fans hating it so much.

Now I am not doubting that certain writers go too far in describing a scene but that is the art of good story telling. Books aren't blessed with visual images so it is up to the writer to paint that story in the reader's mind. Look at this stanza from the Raven

Ah, distinctly I remember it was in the bleak December;

And each separate dying ember wrought its ghost upon the floor.
    Eagerly I wished the morrow;—vainly I had sought to borrow
    From my books surcease of sorrow—sorrow for the lost Lenore—
For the rare and radiant maiden whom the angels name Lenore—
            Nameless here for evermore.

Using words like Bleak to describe December gives off a feeling of death and loneliness. The second line once again portrays the loneliness of this man's existence. That even the embers of the fire are separated and are dying upon his floor. The next two lines describe the man drowning himself in literature to forget the passing of Lenore. The fact that he stays in his room by himself trying to find some kind of happiness but alas she is Nevermore.

In one paragraph they exemplify his loneliness over and over and over but all of it is important because it builds the narrative for the rest of the poem.

So in the end, I was more pushing for people to take the time to craft their stories and learn how to tell them in an interesting way. Is it OK to just say a man walks down the street or are there better words to replace that sentence :)?

I must gain back the trust :o

I am not saying a fanfic can't be well written, but in the end it isn't your story and it would serve better to try and write something of your own. It is like the new TMNT film (well old by this point but you know what I mean). It was dumb and pointless but a lot of the hate it got was because it took beloved characters and gave a new spin on them. If they had just told a different story about mutant crimefighters it would have been still stupid but it wouldn't have had fans hating it so much.

Now I am not doubting that certain writers go too far in describing a scene but that is the art of good story telling. Books aren't blessed with visual images so it is up to the writer to paint that story in the reader's mind. Look at this stanza from the Raven

Using words like Bleak to describe December gives off a feeling of death and loneliness. The second line once again portrays the loneliness of this man's existence. That even the embers of the fire are separated and are dying upon his floor. The next two lines describe the man drowning himself in literature to forget the passing of Lenore. The fact that he stays in his room by himself trying to find some kind of happiness but alas she is Nevermore.

In one paragraph they exemplify his loneliness over and over and over but all of it is important because it builds the narrative for the rest of the poem.

So in the end, I was more pushing for people to take the time to craft their stories and learn how to tell them in an interesting way. Is it OK to just say a man walks down the street or are there better words to replace that sentence :)?

I see, it seems I misinterpreted your post a bit. I completely agree that using a wider range of vocabulary, boosts your storytelling skills by a mile.

And although I do think that when writing a fanfic, it is your story, I mean, it plays just as you want it and all. I can't deny the fact that readers will indeed always compare it to the original work, which in term leads to what you said about that TMNT movie.

Thanks for clearing that out :P But nonetheless, I'll be reading his fanfic xD

Also, Edgar Allen Poe's poems are <3:P

• Like 1

I see, it seems I misinterpreted your post a bit. I completely agree that using a wider range of vocabulary, boosts your storytelling skills by a mile.

And although I do think that when writing a fanfic, it is your story, I mean, it plays just as you want it and all. I can't deny the fact that readers will indeed always compare it to the original work, which in term leads to what you said about that TMNT movie.

Thanks for clearing that out :P But nonetheless, I'll be reading his fanfic xD

Also, Edgar Allen Poe's poems are <3:P

I think the main problem was my original opening sentence about fan-fics. I came off as hostile out of the gate so anyone reading that may have been turned off (that is on me).

Regardless a well crafted story is a well crafted story :) I mean you can almost argue Watchmen as a fanfic as the original story was supposed to use real DC superheroes until DC stepped in and Moore changed the characters to create Watchmen.

• Like 1