Sonic 3 & Knuckles on modern platforms

Guenter_G

So I have a rather simple question:

Do people know on what modern platforms, if any, Sonic 3 & Knuckles is available on?

By modern I mean anything from 2006 and beyond.

And I mean explicitly the combination game Sonic 3 & Knuckles, not Sonic the hedgehog 3 and Sonic & Knuckles separately.

This is the best Sonic game in my opinion. It was a real shame it wasn't included on the Sega Mega drive ultimate collection (Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection). Then it would be truly ultimate.

Saw the title and thought the thread was going to be an announcement of something :(

But if you own Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles then you're able to combine them and play the complete game on Xbox Live. It's also available on Steam through the Mega Drive Classics Collection.

Saw the title and thought the thread was going to be an announcement of something :(

But if you own Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles then you're able to combine them and play the complete game on Xbox Live. It's also available on Steam through the Mega Drive Classics Collection.

That sucks that Sonic 3 & Knuckles is available on Xbox Live. Not hating or anything (just to clear that up) but it would be amazing if this was on the PSN. Strangely enough, I was thinking about that the other day.

That sucks that Sonic 3 & Knuckles is available on Xbox Live. Not hating or anything (just to clear that up) but it would be amazing if this was on the PSN. Strangely enough, I was thinking about that the other day.

Yeah, they've been on there for a very long time, so I don't think it's likely we'll ever get them at this point

It's a shame because those and the other 8/16bit games are a good fit for the Vita in particular, but the 3DS seems to be soaking them all up at the moment.

• Like 1

That's a question I've asked for years, why isn't Sonic 3 & Sonic & Knuckles available on PSN? I thought it was exclusive to XBLA for some reason, then both games got released on Nintendo's Virtual Console. I can play them at any time but I'd love for both games to get a PSN release with trophy support. 

• Like 2

Come to think of it I always wonder why Sonic 3 & Knuckles never came to PSN? Any idea why it never did?

Well I think the Sonic 3 is on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection not sure about Sonic 3 & Knuckles though

Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles are on the collection as standalone games, but not the lock-on thing. According to the producer they were dropped in favor of other stuff:

"We understand that some people have expressed disappointment that the title does not support the ‘Lock-On’ technology featured in the original “Sonic & Knuckles” cartridge, and wanted to provide an explanation for this. Tight development timelines are a production reality, and in this instance, we had to choose between allotting engineering hours, localization, test resources, and front-end (menu) adjustment to support ‘Lock-On’, or dropping several titles from the collection altogether. Specifically, we would have had to drop all of the bonus games from the disc, as they all required unique emulation solutions. Faced with an either/or scenario, we chose to retain our title lineup in its entirety. We hope that everybody enjoys the abundance of content this value-priced collection provides."

http://blogs.sega.com/2009/02/10/sonics-ultimate-genesis-collection-shipping-this-week/

Very lame I think. These games were released in the early 90's, and the collection was released in the most low-intensity period of the year; February.

Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles are on the collection as standalone games, but not the lock-on thing. According to the producer they were dropped in favor of other stuff:

"We understand that some people have expressed disappointment that the title does not support the ‘Lock-On’ technology featured in the original “Sonic & Knuckles” cartridge, and wanted to provide an explanation for this. Tight development timelines are a production reality, and in this instance, we had to choose between allotting engineering hours, localization, test resources, and front-end (menu) adjustment to support ‘Lock-On’, or dropping several titles from the collection altogether. Specifically, we would have had to drop all of the bonus games from the disc, as they all required unique emulation solutions. Faced with an either/or scenario, we chose to retain our title lineup in its entirety. We hope that everybody enjoys the abundance of content this value-priced collection provides."

http://blogs.sega.com/2009/02/10/sonics-ultimate-genesis-collection-shipping-this-week/

Very lame I think. These games were released in the early 90's, and the collection was released in the most low-intensity period of the year; February.

This sounds like a excuse. With the way technology is today, there should be no reason NOT to put this on the PSN. If they can re-release Sonic's 1 & 2 (with 2 being released twice), then why can't they release Sonic 3 & Knuckles? Last time I heard it was some legal issues with them putting it on the PSN. Could be wrong though.

Sonic 1 has been on 3DS for a while.

Sonic 2 is supposed to be coming soon.

Both of these feature new 3D effects and whatnot as you'd expect from a 3DS game, but Sonic 1 has also been updated to include the spin dash from Sonic 2 and onwards. Sonic 1 also includes the Japanese ROM of the game as well.

Sonic 1, 2, and CD are on Android with similar updates including the spin dash, new characters, and support for full widescreen displays, they also include additional international versions of the original ROMs.

So as it currently stands, there's at least 2 platforms that are still getting some classic Sonic love, and both of them feature a lot of cool shit in them, with that in mind, I would say that when Sonic 3 / Sonic & Knuckles make their way to 3DS and Android, odds are they would include the lock on feature.