Custom Chatrooms

Go to solution Solved by Dragon-Archon,

I put this as my Status a while back, and it got some positive attention so I figured I'd show it off here.

Idea for a new site feature - The ability to create custom chatrooms under the 'Chat' tab of the site. It would allow certain gamers / games to have their own specialized chatroom, so people could talk about games without trying to wrangle the attention of the general chatroom. It could be anything from 'PS3 Game Chat' to 'DanganRonpa Another Episode Chat', and so on. There could even be chatrooms for fandoms or characters, and the chatrooms could be password-protected if desired by the creator. All Moderators would have access to a list of all passwords (including the ability to remove / add them), and the creator of a chatroom would be able to distribute / hold back access to the Chat, much like the Ban system in place for Gaming Sessions. The Chatrooms would be semi-permanent, with any Mod or the creator being able to delete them at will, or they could be left in place.

This could be used to discuss topics, games, characters, etc., or to use as a quicker alternative to the clumsy, slow text-chat feature that the PS3 uses, among others.

What do you guys think?

• Solution

I put this as my Status a while back, and it got some positive attention so I figured I'd show it off here.

Idea for a new site feature - The ability to create custom chatrooms under the 'Chat' tab of the site. It would allow certain gamers / games to have their own specialized chatroom, so people could talk about games without trying to wrangle the attention of the general chatroom. It could be anything from 'PS3 Game Chat' to 'DanganRonpa Another Episode Chat', and so on. There could even be chatrooms for fandoms or characters, and the chatrooms could be password-protected if desired by the creator. All Moderators would have access to a list of all passwords (including the ability to remove / add them), and the creator of a chatroom would be able to distribute / hold back access to the Chat, much like the Ban system in place for Gaming Sessions. The Chatrooms would be semi-permanent, with any Mod or the creator being able to delete them at will, or they could be left in place.

This could be used to discuss topics, games, characters, etc., or to use as a quicker alternative to the clumsy, slow text-chat feature that the PS3 uses, among others.

What do you guys think?

It's already possible to start a separate chatroom and invite other members there ;).

• Like 1

Ah. Well, I feel stupid. :facepalm:

Anyone who reads this can safely ignore this thread now.

That's ok, it's a pretty hidden feature. If you want to test it out, I'm in the chat right now. Oh and btw I made a mistake: it's Private Message and not Start Private Chat.

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 1

Ah. Well, I feel stupid. :facepalm:

Anyone who reads this can safely ignore this thread now.

I'd just like to point out there can only be 2 people in a private chat - you and 1 other person. You'd need a lot of private chats open to boost with a full group.

• Like 2

When Sly first started creating the new version of the chat he allowed the ability to make other chats different from the main chat where more than one person could chat in (basically exactly how you're describing it), however he took that out because it sort of just fractured up and confused the main chat and I guess people just kind of abused it more than properly used it, lol. If a new chat was created people quickly just stopped using it and went back to the main chat. I never really got the point of it because there are only 30 people in the chat normally and at a single time up to 10 are actively typing and splitting that would be pointless because it's not like it's 150 active people, only in that case it would probably benefit from dividing stuff. I think that's why it was ultimately removed because it just didn't get used much or used as intended when it was available.  :P Starting private chats with other people in the chat works great though like Dragon said

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 1