Already filling up on *small* 500 GB harddrive...

AJ_Radio

Haven't had the PS4 for long at all and I'm already nearly full on my harddrive. Now according to the latest PS4 update I should be able to insert a 1-2 TB harddrive into the system, back up my files, and transfer them onto the new harddrive. I'm not entirely clear if it will be able to transfer the patch files and DLC as well. All I've heard is that I have to download the system update again and everything else should be just fine.

I've read blogs early on that have stated that it was a bit of a pain to back up and transfer files when the PS4 was brand new. But since it has been two years I think most of those problems have been solved. Hopefully I am right.

There are plenty of good games out there for the PS4, just don't have the space for it until my 1 TB harddrive comes by. I really don't plan on getting anything bigger until I finish up my backlog of PS3 games and at least beat the story/get most trophies for the PS4 games I already own. Also planning to go back to college which means I won't be playing much, but eventually I'll get around to beating everything in my small collection.

So is it really that easy?

It's very easy to do. I went for a 2TB personally.

You will need:

• Replacement HDD;
  • USB flash drive with latest firmware;
  • (optional) a third, USB external HDD to back-up your PS4's data. Or, you can use the cloud to back-up your game saves - but you will be downloading your games, patches and saves again if you do this; and
  • Phillips head Screwdrivers.

Then do this:

1. Download latest firmware from the PS4 support site onto the USB. (Make sure you use the correct file directory on the flash drive).
  2. Backup your data (to the cloud or to the external HDD);
  3. Turn off the PS4 and unplug everything.
  4. Remove the PS4's stock HDD
  5. Insert replacement HDD and put PS4 back together
  6. Plug PS4 back in and insert the flash USB drive
  7. Turn on the PS4. PS4 will boot, detect the USB drive, and install firmware. Follow the instructions on screen.
  8. Once set-up and logged in, restore your PS4 from the external USB HDD backup or set to downloading all your stuff again.

Overall, takes about 20-30 mins.

All these steps can be found in more detail online, often with YouTube videos showing you how.

Edited by StrickenBiged
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone.

Unfortunately I'm stuck with awful internet until I move out, so I essentially *HAVE* to buy a USB external HDD. Looking for apartments that offer fast cable internet service, there's no mention of fiber internet anywhere in my area. I've used fiber service in the past during vacation, I was simply mindblown how fast and easy it was to download large files.

Is a Seagate external harddrive okay or do I need something else?

Thanks everyone.

Unfortunately I'm stuck with awful internet until I move out, so I essentially *HAVE* to buy a USB external HDD. Looking for apartments that offer fast cable internet service, there's no mention of fiber internet anywhere in my area. I've used fiber service in the past during vacation, I was simply mindblown how fast and easy it was to download large files.

Is a Seagate external harddrive okay or do I need something else?

For what purpose? I ask because my replacement HDD came out of a 2TB Seagate portable USB device. I pried the plastic casing apart and disconnected the HDD, then stuck it in my PS4. 

If you're asking about the external HDD you need to get in order to back-up your current PS4 data, as you currently have a 500GB you need a drive with at least that much capacity if you don't want to have to re-download all your games. Maybe go a little larger than 500GB if you can, just in case the drive comes with firmware that takes up some of your GBs.

a good short read, something to look into

the Best PS4 hard Drive

edit: just found this nice one!!!

Samsung Seagate HN-M201RAD Momentus SpinPoint ST2000LM003 2TB 2.5-Inch SATA III Notebook Hard Drive 9.5MM

95$ and free shipping

Amazon

Edited by ERGOPROXY-DECAY