National Hockey League 2011/2012 Thread

Dreakon139

Any hockey fans around?

I personally don't know how I survive the offseason, especially this part of it. Free agency has past, the draft has past... now it's just dragging until Septermber/October.

Buffalo Sabres fan here. We made some tasty moves this year, very unusual for us thanks to our rich new owner. :P Ehrhoff and Regehr were both very unexpected and needed blueline pickups this summer and we really didn't give up any important players in the process. Connolly is addition by subtraction as far as I'm concerned, Leino is an interesting choice to replace him with but we'll see how that goes since he apparently hasn't played center in the NHL yet... but did his whole career overseas. I'm curious to see how Ennis and Gerbe do this year with a full year or so under their belts as well. Young Jhonas Enroth backing up the silver-medalist Ryan Miller. It'll be an interesting year.

Anyways, enough boring Sabres talk. Any fans around here? What's your team? What do you think of your teams offseason so far?

I'm a Leafs fan. *Prepares for the insults*

Anyway, I used to be a huge fan but the Leafs just became so bad for the last few years and I sort of drifted away from hockey. Now I'm back into it though because last season was really exciting to watch. I was really hoping for Tampa to win the cup because I like their coach and players, and they are a really fun skillful team to watch.

I'm looking forward to the next season so much because now that we have a quality goaltender, and a good strong young team, we are going to make the playoffs this year for sure! Buffalo must not win!

• Like 1

Big Hockey fan here. I too am a Leafs fan, though I live in a city that loathes Toronto with all of its being (Hamilton, ON).

I'm patiently waiting for Leafs training camp to start (has tickets for one of the practices =) ). We were off to a great start but it fell apart. I cant place the blame on that one but I love the way Riemer played and I'm so excited he will be our #1 goalie this year. We have a good young team that is becoming stronger, unlike past years so I'm really excited for this season.

The East will be a great battle ground this year. Crosby and Malkin will be back, Oveckin will HOPEFULLY pick up his game again, the Sabers are usually strong and the Leafs are a possible contender this year. With the rest of the East, we might have a back to back East Coast champs. Hopefully.

Obviously a hockey fan by my avy. Only 55 days until the regular season starts! I'm also a Leafs fan, and to be honest I always cheer for any of the original 6. Also very happy that Winnipeg has a team back, because hockey does not belong in Atlanta, Florida or Airizona IMHO.

Also very happy that Winnipeg has a team back, because hockey does not belong in Atlanta, Florida or Airizona IMHO.

I think it also depends on whether your team can win or not. Though the Coyotes did make it to the playoffs, the only southern team that I know off that won was the Lightning. They're in Florida too but they sell out more than the Panthers. Oh well. I know another other American cities are calling for a team too but we'll see what happens to the Coyotes and the Panthers.

• 1 month later...

Yeah a shitty off season for hockey fans. 3 enforcers take their own lives and then the plain crash that wipes out an entire team in Russia. Regular season starts in 2 weeks and every team has a chance for Lord Stanley! Have to play NHL 12 until it begins.

Yeah a shitty off season for hockey fans. 3 enforcers take their own lives and then the plain crash that wipes out an entire team in Russia.

God, don't even get me started on that. Thoughts and prayers out to the family and friends of the Lokomotiv Yaroslavl players lost in that tragedy. A lot of good men and kids with great careers ahead of them...

• 2 weeks later...

fjldjfhehfsd Hockey! I cant wait for this Saturday. I have tickets to Ottawa vs Toronto. Should be a great game

Awesome, of course the poor Sens will go limping into Toronto after getting their ass handed to them by the Wings on friday night!

• 2 weeks later...

So, what do you all think of the season at this point? Any teams exceeding your expectations? Things pretty much right on the money?

My friends been rubbing it in my face a little that the Caps are doing as good as they are, how badly I want them to bomb but that won't be happening with the team they have. I also can't believe Columbus is 1-7 at the moment, and it sucks for Detroit to be their first win lol. My Sabres have been sucking lately, back to back losses to Tampa. If there are any Tampa fans out there, fuck you. That's right, I said it. Take your 1-3-1 trap and shove it.

• Like 2

The Leafs are doing exceptionally well this season but it's still to early. We tend to implode in November but I hope it wont happen this year. Reimer is solid in net, but with his injury, I hope Gustavsson is up to it. He was solid in Philly but his defense let him down. A LOT. Kessel is the talk of the league but I'm not so sure about Connolly joining his line. His line is producing, so why mess that up?

The Sabres and the Leafs are flip flopping between 1 and 2. I hope it continues like that all season, pretty much guaranteeing both teams will be in the playoffs. As for the Caps, I'm honestly hoping they lose to the Oilers tonight. That would stick it to them, losing to such an inexperienced team, but they're probably going to be 8-0-0 by the end of tonight.

What in the hell happened in Philly tonight? I thought I was watching a game of NHL 94 on my Sega tonight! Looked like one of the hockey games in the early 80's when Gretzky was putting up 200+ points a year. Winnipeg 9 - 8! WTF!

Go Toronto!!

Surprises? Toronto, Dallas, Pittsburgh and Colorado

Not Surprises? Washington (wait until they reach playoffs, Luongo- going to get ran out of town)

Toronto won, Sabres Won, Ottawa Won, Montreal Won, Boston Lost. The Northeast is going to be a tough race this yea.

The Winnepeg/Philadephia game was nuts. 17 goals is insane. The announcer sounded like a broken record. Washington lost against the Oilers, which was a relief. Welcome to the real NHL Capitals!

• 2 months later...

wont know if my team will exceed expectations untill the playoffs. currently the best record in the Nhl

Kessel is the talk of the league but I'm not so sure about Connolly joining his line. His line is producing, so why mess that up?

maybe in canada, not around these parts. Heard Melrose say if the season ended yesterday Toews would be MVP, didnt here anything about Kess even though hes having a good season

Heard Melrose say if the season ended yesterday Toews would be MVP, didnt here anything about Kess even though hes having a good season

Two thoughts on this statement:

1. Melrose is an idiot. I wouldn't take a whole heck of a lot he says seriously.... either him or Milbury.

2. Toews might be MVP in some people's eyes because his team has a far superior record. Keep in mind that the Hart Trophy isn't worded the same way as other League's MVP trophies, and often isn't awarded based on the same subjective "criteria". The specific terminology is "most valuble to his team", meaning a player with a lesser supporting cast will often take home the darned thing. Team record doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot for the Hart beyond whether or not the team actually makes the playoffs.

Phil Kessel is finally putting up the kind of numbers Toronto fans expected him to be providing when they overpaid the Bruins for him. His problem is that he (and his line) can't carry the entire team for the entire season. We're seeing it in Toronto, and we might be starting to see it in Florida -- a one-line team without much of a supporting cast is very feast-or-famine and turns out to be very stoppable when the chips are down. Even if said one-line team makes the playoffs, they never go very far unless other players step up to help carry the load.