StrickenBiged's Epic Quest for another Platinum and Rock-Godhood

StrickenBiged

Tried some of the lessons yesterday. Went well until I had to do the slides practice track. Gave up and played some Ramones instead.

It's amazing how the game changed the difficulty as soon as I became more comfortable with the basic notes.

14 hours ago, StrickenBiged said:

Oh! The Rage Against the Machine tracks are awesome. Not too hard for a beginner to get to a stage where you're mostly playing the song either. I'd highly recommend those song packs if you're looking at DLC!

Pity that Sleep Now in the Fire is only available for Rockband, but there are some other cools tracks of them there. Also wish there was some Tool or Mars Volta available.

@soniq You can request tracks here. (You'll have to log in to uPlay though.) Tracks that get the most requests get made into DLC (assuming the devs can get legal permissions from the record labels & artists. Metallica, for example, have refused repeatedly to allow their songs in the game). 

The request system tracks your IP and uPlay account though, so don't go thinking you can spam Tool & Mars Volta songs over and over, their system will still count it as one vote for that song.

It's no guarantee that the tracks will be made, of course. Though I'd bet that those two artists have had a lot of requests and the more requests artists get, the better a case the devs can make when they go to them and say "look, here is the number of people who would buy this track. You could be making $ here". 

6 hours ago, StrickenBiged said:

@soniq .

It's no guarantee that the tracks will be made, of course. Though I'd bet that those two artists have had a lot of requests and the more requests artists get, the better a case the devs can make when they go to them and say "look, here is the number of people who would buy this track. You could be making $ here". 

Sorry Soniq, I quoted Stricken and can't delete your tag. :shakefist:

K some of the bigger bands just have a blanket no policy for Rocksmith. For example you won't find a single Metallica song on the store, even though they've probably gotten thousands of requests at this point. I'm not a big fan of theirs but I wouldn't mind learning a couple of their songs. 

12 minutes ago, Hemiak said:

K some of the bigger bands just have a blanket no policy for Rocksmith. For example you won't find a single Metallica song on the store, even though they've probably gotten thousands of requests at this point. I'm not a big fan of theirs but I wouldn't mind learning a couple of their songs. 

My guess? Metallica have an agreement with Activision. They had a whole Guitar Hero game dedicated to them. It seems really weird to me that they'd be like "yeah, put our music on a game about plastic toys, but no-way are we going to allow people to actually learn them on real instruments." 

My bet is that Activision got them contractually bound not to allow it, just because that would be a really weird line for them to draw. It's also possible that they feel like they got a shitty deal from Activision, and don't feel that Ubisoft's revenue split is fair either. 

Tool might just have a blanket "no thanks" policy though. They're in the top 40 requested bands according to this graphic that Ubisoft SF put out in 2014. Basically, if they're in this list and not in the game yet, I wouldn't hold out hope. 

Rocksmith 2014 – How A Request Becomes a Song

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Have still been playing, but practice took a back seat for a little while once Horizon Zero Dawn came out. Practice probably hasn't been regular enough to warrant a full blown update though. It's liberating to not have to worry about completing Rocksmith missions anymore, it really is. I can just play what I want and focus on the songs and riffs that are causing me trouble. 

And my bass has been in the shop for a few days now - it's started making an annoying hiss when I play the game. I've got a man seeing what's up with that, digging into the electrics. He comes highly recommended, his clientele include some of the UK's best bassists.

Aaaand, finally, might be getting a 2nd bass this afternoon, I'm going to see a guy who is selling one of these... watch this space. 

Spoiler

preview.jpg

• Like 1

So I bought that 2nd hand bass. It has a few dings in it from where it has been moved around in a studio environment, and a tiny chip in the headstock, but nothing major. 

Sounds like a dream. It's a beautiful ice white like the one shown in the stock photo above. 

It plays like a dream too. The action is mega low, but not as buzzy as I'd expect from my Thunderbird if I'd set it up that low, despite the roundwound strings. 

Played about 90 mins of Rocksmith using it last night. Maybe it was psychosomatic but I seemed to improve. The neck is certainly "faster" than my Thunderbird, and I felt like I was able to find the correct fret more often without having to look at the fretboard when I was shifting around. 

I really dig this new bass. My brother-in-law said that this was the first sign of having GAS, (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome). He has 5 guitars...

Edited by StrickenBiged
  • Like 3

The Thunderbird is still in the shop - the luthier said that he wants to let the wood settle to see if he has made a difference to the instrument. However, he felt that my high guage flatwound strings have quite a lot of natural tension and my own setup may, in fact have been optimal! If he ends up going back to where I had it, then he won't charge me. I told him I got a second bass and so he can take his time. 

I decided it was time to get serious and finally try and learn how to slap and pop. Loaded up Take the Power Back by Rage Against the Machine and set to work.

(This is a cover, so you can see the amount of slap and pop involved.)

The Rocksmith notetrackers have interpreted the track slightly differently to this bassist, so it's not quite the same way I'm learning it. 

Anyway, I'm improving. A really fun track to play and I will stick with it in Riff Repeater. I should also give the other songs that have slap and pop in them a looksie. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/14/2017 at 1:58 AM, StrickenBiged said:

So I bought that 2nd hand bass.

Niccceee. I just happened to get another guitar myself. I don't have a way to take a picture of it right now but I will post one from Google. 26556-Generic-1-HiRes.jpg

• Like 2

Just bought the game yesterday, although I can't play it right now.

I guess it will take a while before I buy any of the song packs that I really want (QotSA, SoaD and the brand new Royal Blood), I want to try out all the 60ish new songs and will also import RS1 for a few easy arrangements :)

Can't wait to start it in about a week or so.

Bought a new soundbar as well and might get a decent guitar in june or july :) 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dalailama1989 said:

I guess it will take a while before I buy any of the song packs that I really want (QotSA, SoaD and the brand new Royal Blood), I want to try out all the 60ish new songs and will also import RS1 for a few easy arrangements :)

Definitely import RS1 - there are some really good, easier songs in that game to get you started. 

There are tonnes of great DLC for Rocksmith 2014... a few other packs I like and find myself playing a lot, off the top of my head and in no particular order:

• Green Day
  • Bon Jovi
  • Offspring
  • Disturbed
  • Audioslave
  • Rage Against the Machine
  • Rise Against
  • Stevie Ray Vaughn

Yep, RS1 is a must have, you can't get these many songs that cheap elsewhere.

Go with the Flow, Angela, Song 2 and all the other nice ans easy one's, which I used to get to Rank 11 in the original game :) 

I really want QotSA and Royal Blood but I'll wait with other packs for a while. Although I have already DLC for about 180€ on my wish list :D 

Guess I will differentiate in terms of how easy and how enjoyable they are. My 110/120 songs to start with will keep me happy and busy for a long time I think.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dalailama1989 said:

how enjoyable they are

This is the main factor. I will play a track that I like over and over and over, even starting to "rock out" to it once I get the phrases memorised. And that's all good practice. 

I forgot to mention, the Bachsmith song packs are also amazing - add those to your wish-list too if you haven't already. 

32 minutes ago, StrickenBiged said:

This is the main factor. I will play a track that I like over and over and over, even starting to "rock out" to it once I get the phrases memorised. And that's all good practice. 

I forgot to mention, the Bachsmith song packs are also amazing - add those to your wish-list too if you haven't already. 

So far, I just scrolled though the DLC and added the stuff I knew rather well. I know there is still a shitton of songs that I probably like as well :D

That's the stuff I wrote down for me, mostly just one song per artist, and a few with two or more :)

Guess there are a few hard one's - so I will check some videos, if I can do those or rather skip them for a while :)

Spoiler

Avril - Sk8er
Billy Idol - WW
Black Keys - Gold otC
blink 182 - Age again
Bob Dylan - Like a RS
Cranberries - Zombie
Doors - Fire + Storm
FF - Learn to fly
GD - Idiot + September
Halestorm - Love bites
Heart - Barracuda
Iggy - S&D
Incubus - Love hurts
Jefferson - Rabbit + SB to Love
Jet - Are u gonna
Jimi - P Haze + Foxy
Kiss - Made + Detroit
Linkin - Numb + End + Closer
Maroon - This love
Misfits - Caress
Motörhead - Ace
Mötley - Girls
No doubt - Don't speak
Pantera - Cowboys
Police - Rox
Queen - Dust + Bohemian + Pressure
QotSA - NoK / Missing / 37's / Sis / Chu + God
Radiohead - Creep
RatM - Killing
Ram Jam - Black Betty
Ricky Nelson - Hello Mary Lou
Royal Blood - Figure / Black / Monster
Santana - Black M W
Simple Minds - Don't you forget
Sixpence - Kiss me
Skater Rock Pack
Slayer - Raining / Angel / Abyss / Heaven / Mask
Steppenwolf - BtbW
Stone Sour - Glass
SoaD - Aerials / Toxi / BYOB
TCV - Mind
Twisted Sister - I wanna rock + Take it
T-Rex - 20th CB
White Stripes - 7NA
Who - Behind

@dalailama1989 A good list, but bear in mind that they are slightly cheaper per-song if you buy them in packs. If you like one Blink-182 song, you'll probably have fun learning a few more of their songs too. 

Check out a guy called Riff Repeater on YT. He does demonstrations of the songs every week. A good way of seeing the difficulty of the songs once they're fully unlocked. 

Avril Lavigne is surprisingly hard on bass. I'm guessing because they would probably get some hot-shit session bassist in to record for her songs. Most of it is easy, then there will be a small phrase where the guy throws in a few harmonics and a quick lick, which throws me every time... 

• 6 months later...
13 hours ago, skateak said:

Necroing both threads. Is anyone still playing? Should be feeling a nice amount of familiarity with the fretboard now and I hope nobody put it to the side after getting the platinum... Yeah I am talking about you! @StrickenBiged :P

I haven't played in a couple of weeks cuz I had a really busy period but the wife is out with her friends tonight so I am planning a long session with some of the recent DLC packs! :P 

Can't wait to give The Fire and the Flames a go!