FFVII

Artemisthemp

... Why? Why are they doing this on PC and not on PS3? I remember them arguing that the new FF's were where they needed to focus, and that was why they had no intention of doing a FFVII remake. I don't want to have to play this game on a PC, I want to be able to play on my PS3 with the updated graphics. This makes me really sad :(

Edited by Sir_Bee

Its not a HD remake. Its a re-release. They have tweeked a few things but they are still graphically the same. I remember reading somewhere that they wont do a HD remake until another FF game surpasses FFVII.

Its not a HD remake. Its a re-release. They have tweeked a few things but they are still graphically the same. I remember reading somewhere that they wont do a HD remake until another FF game surpasses FFVII.

I had to go back and read it again, but yea you are right. Not sure why this is relevant then? How good could the extra features be that would warrant buying the game again? I still have my disc version.

I can think of three reasons why this is a good thing:

1. "Accomplishments"... another word for achievements/trophies. I like it. You already know what you're getting with this game, so you can't say "oh no trophies will ruin it!" If you don't like them, don't worry about it.

2. Compatibility with newer operating systems. A severe problem with the currently existing PC version of FFVII.

3. The potential for HD. Not that the graphics could be that much better overall, but a little more crisp and higher/widescreen resolutions? If so, yes please!

Oh, and cloud saving I guess. The sad thing is, as old as this game is, I bet my laptop still won't be able to run this new one.

What the hell is the Character ter Booster shite, what a load of bull that is, if that turns out to be DLC that max out your character then that's just cheating

No, not DLC. Sounds more like a character editor, which is something that has existed for this game on the PC forever.

Logically, one would imagine using such a tool would exclude you from getting "accomplishments"... but like cheat codes, it may be fun to tinker around with your characters.

Edited by Dreakon139

Exclusive to the Square Enix store: http://www.joystiq.com/2012/07/04/final-fantasy-7-officially-coming-soon-on-pc-exclusive-to-squ/

All my interest has just immediately died. What fucking good are cloud saves and achievements if they're not tied into a platform I actually want to use? Why would any sane man encumber themselves with shitty publisher specific platforms that overcharge massively for all their games when the alternatives are so much more preferable? You dumb, dumb bastards, SqEnix.

Well, I didn't need to buy the game for a 5th time anyway, I suppose.

What fucking good are cloud saves and achievements if they're not tied into a platform I actually want to use?

I sort of get achievements, but why would it matter for cloud saves? The point is to keep your saves accessible and intact, it doesn't really matter where they sit as long as you can use them wherever you go.

Edited by Dreakon139

I sort of get achievements, but why would it matter for cloud saves? The point is to keep your saves accessible and intact, it doesn't really matter where they sit as long as you can use them wherever you go.

Means you have to faff about and install some awful system on every PC you want to play the game on. Most if not all of my friends have Steam, but I can count the number of them that have whatever cloud-saving nonsense SqEnix will use for this installed on zero hands, there being exactly zero people with this.

Picking a common, established platform gives you the advantage of making it easy to use cloud saves, having your own proprietary system makes it hard. This is why it still effects cloud saves.

Square Enix has their own store?

Yes, and they overcharge for everything painfully much. Want Deus Ex: Human Revolution? How about £20? It's not like it's been well under a tenner several times on Steam...

Means you have to faff about and install some awful system on every PC you want to play the game on. Most if not all of my friends have Steam, but I can count the number of them that have whatever cloud-saving nonsense SqEnix will use for this installed on zero hands, there being exactly zero people with this.

Picking a common, established platform gives you the advantage of making it easy to use cloud saves, having your own proprietary system makes it hard. This is why it still effects cloud saves.

It really doesn't sound that complicated.

Though I agree that most games would be better placed on Steam than whatever concoction other developers try to whip up. Not a deal breaker though by any means.

It really doesn't sound that complicated.

Though I agree that most games would be better placed on Steam than whatever concoction other developers try to whip up. Not a deal breaker though by any means.

You'd be surprised how many people stick by the ideology of "no Steam, no sale". I think taking it to that extreme is stupid, but I will try to avoid splitting my game collection across a dozen different systems if at all possible.

• 2 weeks later...