It begins No open world for FF7:Remake

Daniel_Shadow170

This game could be the greatest FF game of all time, and people will bitch and moan. 

I never played FF7, so I couldnt give less than a shit about the changes they are making. The original in all its glory is on the same console so who gives a fuck. 

Looking forward to future salt intensified discussions.

I never played FF7, so I couldnt give less than a shit about the changes they are making. 

Then why bother participating in this discussion if you have nothing of substance to add?

The original in all its glory is on the same console so who gives a fuck. 

Well I, for one,  "give a fuck."

Have you managed to buy three games before?  Probably spread over the course of 3-5 years (if the FFXIII series is anything to go by)?  If so, then I wouldn't be too worried.

Not the point. Could I purchase three games over the course of 3 or so years? Yes. Will this put undue financial strain on me? Yes.

I really don't see how this is that difficult to understand; it's as if some want to be contrarian just because they can.

Before I take my leave of this most fruitful discussion I must say that FFXIII is not what Square-Enix should be modeling any future games after, so yes, such a thought does leave me worried.

• Like 1

You can do that with the $15 PC version and some mods.  I'm not judging why someone would want the remake, but I think logically the amount of indignation when it isn't perfectly to their liking should balance with their reason for wanting it.  You don't NEED the remake to enjoy Final Fantasy VII.

Let me put it this way. People wanting the remake already know how FF7 is, but let's say they want another game related and have high expectations of it. They keep asking and asking for years for said game to be made and when it's finally the time of the announcement, they end up disappointed with some of the directions it has taken, because some of them are being seen as the equal of SE wanting the best profit out of it.

People see that as a synonym for a spit in the face. No one remains calm after something like that, don't you think?

How about whether this is affordable for gamers such as myself who have to work and go to school full-time? I can't believe this isn't a bigger issue among the community, though I suppose it does make sense seeing as how the majority of gamers are fairly young and don't have much in the way of responsibility (read: financially).

Splitting the game into "episodes" only says to me that Square-Enix is aiming to maximize revenue at the expense of consumers' wallets. This to me just isn't very practical for the consumer. It does, however, make perfect sense for the publisher. Will this be good for gaming? I really don't think so, but I suppose I should be quiet and wait to complain until after the game is released, because reasons.

^Like this. You see were I'm going?

Note: Lakota, I'm not implying you're a fanboy in any way, just using your comment as a bit of proof :) my apologies if this results in an insult in any way.

Edited by Lord_of_Ra

Anyone complaining can play the exact remake that is out already.

I feel for the Devs. Seriously. The shit they are going to need to put up with - every armchair game designer spitting their e-dummy out about every little thing, by the time they finish making this game they will be sorry they ever tried.

Justwait till its out, then complain if you have to.

The professional creators of games have a better idea of how to make a game than a bunch of impossible-to-please fanboys.

I don't think it would have been that hard to please a good majority of the people who has been asking for this game and is now complaining about how Square isn't really listening. Square seems more ashamed of their old games than anything. I don't think anyone meant the game to be an exact copy, so this would be a straw man I keep seeing. I know many want new games like they used to do them too, not just remakes. I certainly do. It can play like the PS1 games too, just look better, and it really wouldn't cost them anywhere near the amount they spend on these newer games I think is pretty bad in comparison. Most of the time and money for Square goes into the graphics, and I honestly don't care all that much about it, but it sure as hell could look a lot better then FF7 did on PS1. What I find more important about the graphics is the art style, and what they the art style for FFXIII was a big turn off for me, and it seems they are going away from the original art style of FF7 with this remake too.

Edited by MMDE

@kuuhaku

That's exactly my point. FFVII wasn't near as linear of an experience as FFXIII and to redesign it to more closely resemble that is making it into something that it simply wasn't in the first place. There are ways to modernize the game while leaving its identity intact...things like altering the overworld traveling definitely compromises that IMO.

Umm.. FFVII was quite linear for most part.  That game actually has less optional quests than FFXIII had.  It also was just as linear as FFXIII was at its start too (stuck in Midgar, nothing much other to do than progress).  Nearly every game out there is linear so it's kind of annoying when people are constantly bringing up the linear issues.  There is only so many games out there that you wouldn't class as linear, such as the completely open world games, where you have the option to do a whole pile of different quests at the one time and constantly have that throughout the game.

Edited by DEMON
  • Like 2

This game will fail. Square Enix has decided to change everything that made the original great, and they're relying on the nostalgia of fans that loved the original.

Not so sure it will fail, but it just won't be what many of the fans loved about the original. I think they are trying to cater to new users, and just sell it on the brand name to the fans of the original. Just too bad most of those who has been asking for this is the fans of the original.

Umm.. FFVII was quite linear for most part.  That game actually has less optional quests than FFXIII had.  It also was just as linear as FFXIII was at its start too (stuck in Midgar, nothing much other to do than progress).

This is total bs. FFXIII had close to nothing of anything extra to do than just go in a straight line, fight enemies controlling only one character and watching videos. Are you really going to count the few "quests" near the end as many different quests? They were the exact same over and over. Beat x enemies you've beat a million times already with 5 star score, and then when you've done that 50 times, you get to fight a strong enemy that will take you like 20 minutes to fight and looks just like some common enemies you've fought with a different sprite. Nah, what people talk about is all the extra stuff you can explore and do as you progress in the game. All the secrets to find, all the people to talk to and dig deeper into the lore. As you get further and further in the game, you can explore more. FFVII even had optional characters and tons of optional locations and quests. It was also way more open than just running in a line all the time with treasures right in front of you. FFXIII doesn't even have any city. Dude, don't even try that bs.

Nearly every game out there is linear so it's kind of annoying when people are constantly bringing up the linear issues.  There is only so many games out there that you wouldn't class as linear, such as the completely open world games, where you have the option to do a whole pile of different quests at the one time and constantly have that throughout the game.

I agree with you that linearity isn't really bad, but I think they mean more the kind of stuff as I said before.

Edited by MMDE

Umm.. FFVII was quite linear for most part.  That game actually has less optional quests than FFXIII had.  It also was just as linear as FFXIII was at its start too (stuck in Midgar, nothing much other to do than progress).  Nearly every game out there is linear so it's kind of annoying when people are constantly bringing up the linear issues.  There is only so many games out there that you wouldn't class as linear, such as the completely open world games, where you have the option to do a whole pile of different quests at the one time and constantly have that throughout the game.

Mostly incorrect. By the third disc you've your own submarine, airship, and if you know how to do it a gold chocobo that can take you literally anywhere on the map. There's the Yuffie sidequest, Materia sidequests, Weapon sidequests, Golden Saucer, chocobo racing, chocobo breeding, etc. To claim FFVII has fewer optional quests than FFXIII is extremely disingenuous and misleading.

• Like 1

Not the point. Could I purchase three games over the course of 3 or so years? Yes. Will this put undue financial strain on me? Yes.

I guess it depends on your definition of "undue".  If the three games are good enough to warrant the price, I would say it's just as due/undue as buying one game... or two games, or three, or four.  If you simply don't want to buy three games because of your personal living situation, regardless of quality, then I'd say your points don't carry very much weight.

Let me put it this way. People wanting the remake already know how FF7 is, but let's say they want another game related and have high expectations of it. They keep asking and asking for years for said game to be made and when it's finally the time of the announcement, they end up disappointed with some of the directions it has taken, because some of them are being seen as the equal of SE wanting the best profit out of it.

People see that as a synonym for a spit in the face. No one remains calm after something like that, don't you think?

Considering I've been a Final Fantasy VII fan from way back when and have played through it countless times over the years on almost every Playstation and PC release... and the announcement of the remake blew my mind... you could say I am one of these "people".  The only difference is that I'm not disappointed YET because the game could still be good despite it's changes... and I do think it's kind of ridiculous to take the business decisions of a gaming company, especially regarding a product you have nothing invested in yet, personally.

Disappointed?  Sure.  Angry, like a spit in the face?  Not so much.

Edited by FrecLognAizeW

This post is bs FF7 had many more side quest's then ff13 and unlike 7 13 is linear 99% of the time.

Then why bother participating in this discussion if you have nothing of substance to add?

Because this isnt FF7, and the sooner people realise that the better. Bitching and moaning doesnt add substance either. Im glad they are changing it up and taking risks. 

People wanted a remake so much...and now they're giving it to people, everyone is moaning. 

If they're changing everything that made the original game great...doesn't that actually suggest they're doing the opposite of relying on the original fans and are trying to appeal to a broader audience? 

I think the last line answers your confusion. It's not appealing to most of those who has been pestering Square about the remake for so long. It's like, "Hey, guys. We're finally doing what you've all been asking for, but we're not doing it for you guys or the way you want it, but we know you guys will buy it anyways... hahaha.".

This is total bs. FFXIII had close to nothing of anything extra to do than just go in a straight line, fight enemies controlling only one character and watching videos. Are you really going to count the few "quests" near the end as many different quests? They were the exact same over and over. Beat x enemies you've beat a million times already with 5 star score, and then when you've done that 50 times, you get to fight a strong enemy that will take you like 20 minutes to fight and looks just like some common enemies you've fought with a different sprite. Nah, what people talk about is all the extra stuff you can explore and do as you progress in the game. All the secrets to find, all the people to talk to and dig deeper into the lore. As you get further and further in the game, you can explore more. FFVII even had optional characters and tons of optional locations and quests. It was also way more open than just running in a line all the time with treasures right in front of you. FFXIII doesn't even have any city. Dude, don't even try that bs.

That was more than a few quests.  You also had to get all of the equipment which took much longer than FFVII's sidequests/getting all materia.  I count everything such as fighting different monsters, getting all equipment and items as extra content to do outside of story.  FFVII was just shown in a different way than FFXIII where it didn't really have straight lined maps, but ideally it was the same, you were told where to go next.

As for the town comment... FFXIII if you paid attention to the story couldn't really have towns, the characters were branded and people would have freaked out if they seen their marks, if you played the game you would have seen how they were like "Yay, you helped us", Snow lets his arm be seen, ends up going to complete chaos.

• Like 2

They haven't released details about what "no open world" means yet. For all we know, it could be like FFXIII where that technically isn't open world but you can still roam Pulse as much as you want at the end.

Yeah, because roaming Pulse at the end was a lot of fun and such a great comparison? Where's the cities? Where are people to interact with? Where's anything to do really? Yes, I know you could ride a chocobo around there and do those "fighting quests" (boring chore). :(

So which is it, then?

Exactly what it says. I dont care what changes they make, im just glad they are changing it. Did the fans want a remake or a remaster because they are getting/will get both. What is the point in calling it a remake if its not, well, a remake? 

Is it just me or does it seem like they're just slapping the FF7 name on a new project just for sales? Didn't play original FF7 but this seems drastically different xD

Sort of, but you still get all the characters, some of the world (even if the world seems a lot "lighter"), some of the story and stuff you do in the game, but that's really about it it seems.

Exactly what it says. I dont care what changes they make, im just glad they are changing it. Did the fans want a remake or a remaster because they are getting/will get both. What is the point in calling it a remake if its not, well, a remake? 

Look at Resident evil that's how you do a remake not what square is doing.

The new battle system is required. The old one works great, in its own environment. It wouldn't work well in the new one. If they can combine the new one with elements of the old that would be great. The Materia system should remain the same, but I'm open minded and something fresh could be great.

They could have made it seem more modern, and yet have it remain mostly the same. Like not have them all stand in one line, but actually move around. This could affect how much damage certain enemies could do to you, a bit like the original, but have it more dynamic and not as static etc. Things like that could have been done. The way it seems they are doing now, you got way less control over the characters. That's one massive issue I've had with the later games, ever since FFXI really, you control one character, not so much a party. The way it was before, in some games you controlled up to 5 characters (FF4), but mostly 3 or 4. It's also more action oriented, which really is a big turn off to a lot of people, at least me.

Sort of, but you still get all the characters, some of the world (even if the world seems a lot "lighter"), some of the story and stuff you do in the game, but that's really about it it seems.

xD Because the handful of blurbs we've read about the game from a smattering of sources about a game still years away from release definitely painted the whole picture.

As a fellow forum-goer with an interest in the opinions of others and the remake in general, all I ask is that people wait and see before jumping to conclusions and going on tirades.  You can see see why this frustrates me.

Edited by FrecLognAizeW
  • Like 1

Errr...I was under the impression that was a remaster. As in an upscaled version of the same game. I could be mistaken. 

It's a remake for gamecube the one on ps4 is RERemake remaster if that make's any sense. As for FF7 i think i'll close it out by saying my hype is at an all-time low so at this point it shouldn't get any lower.

• Like 1

They could have made it seem more modern, and yet have it remain mostly the same. Like not have them all stand in one line, but actually move around. This could affect how much damage certain enemies could do to you, a bit like the original, but have it more dynamic and not as static etc. Things like that could have been done. The way it seems they are doing now, you got way less control over the characters. That's one massive issue I've had with the later games, ever since FFXI really, you control one character, not so much a party. The way it was before, in some games you controlled up to 5 characters (FF4), but mostly 3 or 4. It's also more action oriented, which really is a big turn off to a lot of people, at least me.

FFXI was an MMORPG.  You controlled your own character, you made and progress with, other people controlled the other party members.

They have said a few times that the FFVII gameplay isn't finalized yet, so I would calm down about that at least (what we seen of it is their basic idea of how they want it to go).

Edited by DEMON

It's a remake for gamecube the one on ps4 is RERemake remaster if that make's any sense. As for FF7 i think i'll close it out by saying my hype is at an all-time low so at this point it shouldn't get any lower.

Ah okay. I still think you shouldnt go into this game expecting what you played all those years ago. Rather, a new experience with the same characters. I can't really sympathize with fans of the series because im not one really. But with that being said, everyone and their dog wanted a REMAKE of the game and thats exactly what they are getting, for better or worse.