It begins No open world for FF7:Remake

Daniel_Shadow170

Clearly this isn't just a remake anymore, it's a re-envisioning of the game (from a mechanical perspective anyways).  That is the game they want to make.  Maybe that isn't the game you want.  Taking the hyperdramatic "I'm the worlds biggest FFVII superfan and anything that happens that I don't like will spoil EVERYTHING related to any iteration of the game for me" idea out of the equation, games I don't want get made all the time.  I'm not sure how many different threads/ways you guys need to express this before you move on?

I think you totally miss the point then. Why do you think they are remaking the game? People have been asking for it. They're finally doing it, but they're not actually making what most of what these people were asking for. And yes, a lot of people, long before the remake was even announced was skeptical about asking for a remake, because Square isn't what it used to be. Most of the people who were asking for the remake wanted the game the old Square would have made today.

I'm not even that big of a FFVII fan either. In fact, it's not even my favorite game in the series. My favorite is FFIX. Then hmm... I think split between FFVI and FFVII, but I really like much of the gameplay in FFV. FFVIII had it's fair share of issues when it comes to the battle system, and the story has some issues, but else that was great too. ;p Never been that big fan of FFIV, but the story of that game is great, but the gameplay was almost all improved in FFV.

So what are people afraid of, and more importantly, what might put them off? That this game is going to be cut in it's core content and if I want to enjoy the complete stuff, I might be charged with waaaay more than 60 bucks.

That's their first reaction, hence the complains.

There are certain things about FF7 that I worry about that may be totally screwed up by splitting the game up in episodes. Things like overall themes and character development. Character stats progression. It's definitely not just the money. It's shit to sit there with like 1/3 of a game, and not have the entire thing there. Also, they say Midgard will be one game alone. WTF?! That's like 2-3 hours of the original game. They might pad that out to like 5-10 hours, but ... ????

I am actually one of those who didn't like the battle system changes, because I think the turn based battle system was one of the fundamental things that made the game what it was. I was expecting them to do something to it to appeal to more people. I've given some few examples of this in an earlier post.

I didn't play the original, but kudos to Squeenix for reviving a previous title that they could've completely ignored. It's sad to see their efforts being bashed years before the game is even released, I'm hoping they pull it off even with all the changes.

Could have ignored? Believe it or not, but they actually started the whole thing many years ago with a big troll video that was basically meant to represent what the PS3 could do. They've been pestered with it ever since. Then they did the same on PS4 with the announcement of the PC port.... And now that they finally do it, they aren't catering to most of the people who has been asking for this for years.

This game could be the greatest FF game of all time, and people will bitch and moan. 

I never played FF7, so I couldnt give less than a shit about the changes they are making. The original in all its glory is on the same console so who gives a fuck. 

Looking forward to future salt intensified discussions.

Yes, it could be a great game, but this isn't what most people have been pestering them for almost 10 years about. <_<

• Like 3

Yes, it could be a great game, but this isn't what most people have been pestering them for almost 10 years about. <_<

What people wanted was a remake, this is that. If you wanted a remaster then people should've busted out their Merriam-Webster and looked up the difference between what they wanted and what they were asking for. 

I think you totally miss the point then. Why do you think they are remaking the game? People have been asking for it. They're finally doing it, but they're not actually making what most of what these people were asking for. And yes, a lot of people, long before the remake was even announced was skeptical about asking for a remake, because Square isn't what it used to be. Most of the people who were asking for the remake wanted the game the old Square would have made today.

I'm not even that big of a FFVII fan either. In fact, it's not even my favorite game in the series. My favorite is FFIX. Then hmm... I think split between FFVI and FFVII, but I really like much of the gameplay in FFV. FFVIII had it's fair share of issues when it comes to the battle system, and the story has some issues, but else that was great too. ;p Never been that big fan of FFIV, but the story of that game is great, but the gameplay was almost all improved in FFV.

Why are they remaking it?  Probably a mix of fun and money.  Even if Square at it's core kind of sucks these days, the developers are probably having a blast with Square ponying up the cash to recreate the game from the ground up.  Rebuild, re-envision, in some areas maybe even make it better (blasphemy!).  They're fans just like the rest of us and have different brains than the guys who originally made it.  And I do have faith that the game will be good, albeit different.  It's also a big name with a lot of hype that'll surely score Square a tidy sum when all is said and done... whether the "multiple release" route was for malicious purposes or not.

I can tell you they aren't remaking it to please the FFVII purists, that's becoming painfully obvious.  That's also not a bad thing depending on the finished product.

Edited by FrecLognAizeW

That was more than a few quests.  You also had to get all of the equipment which took much longer than FFVII's sidequests/getting all materia.  I count everything such as fighting different monsters, getting all equipment and items as extra content to do outside of story.  FFVII was just shown in a different way than FFXIII where it didn't really have straight lined maps, but ideally it was the same, you were told where to go next.

As for the town comment... FFXIII if you paid attention to the story couldn't really have towns, the characters were branded and people would have freaked out if they seen their marks, if you played the game you would have seen how they were like "Yay, you helped us", Snow lets his arm be seen, ends up going to complete chaos.

Oh, so you count getting all equipment as a quest? Are you serious? That was just a grind, and of the worst kind. Broken money system.

You of course compare getting all equipment in FFXIII to getting all materia in FFVII, but not equipment to equipment. And seriously, you say it takes a lot of time, but it's just one long boring grind.

Getting all items and secrets etc in FFVII is more interesting because of what you gotta do to do so, it's not just grinding the same enemy, not different the same enemy, over and over and over and over and over.

Oh, I've platted both FFXIII and FFXIII-2. It had a city, in fact, both do, but they're nothing like what the older games did. I'm not just asking for towns or cities, but places where people live, people to talk to etc. They could have had a town just fine, but you know why they didn't? Because it would cost a lot of money. They already cut a lot of the story, put it in menus, to save money. Graphics cost them so much, voice acting as well. The story of FFXIII was a mess anyways.

xD Because the handful of blurbs we've read about the game from a smattering of sources about a game still years away from release definitely painted the whole picture.

As a fellow forum-goer with an interest in the opinions of others and the remake in general, all I ask is that people wait and see before jumping to conclusions and going on tirades.  You can see see why this frustrates me.

Nah, but I've seen what Square has done lately, and it matches what they say they're going to do with this game. Not particularly interested in that, and it's not what I've wanted a remake for.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

The ps4 version out now is a remaster so no remake is the correct term for what we were asking.

Maybe im getting mixed messages from a lot of varying opinions, but from what Im gathering people wanted a game with the same battle system, same open world, same characters, same story threads, but with aesthetic improvements. Is that not what constitutes as a remaster? 

• Like 1

Nah, but I've seen what Square has done lately, and it matches what they say they're going to do with this game. Not particularly interested in that, and it's not what I've wanted a remake for.

No one likes a know-it-all.  Especially in a situation where you factually know next to nothing about it. xD

Edited by FrecLognAizeW

FFXI was an MMORPG.  You controlled your own character, you made and progress with, other people controlled the other party members.

I know FFXI was a MMORPG... it still applies that the gameplay was like that. Not holding it against the MMORPGs though, but just saying. But I guess they weren't controlled by AI. ;)

They have said a few times that the FFVII gameplay isn't finalized yet, so I would calm down about that at least (what we seen of it is their basic idea of how they want it to go).

While I wish this were true, we've already seen footage of the battle system. It's nothing like what I suggested earlier, and it seems you're indeed just controlling one character at a time.

If what you were saying was true, it would be important to not just "calm down" about it until it has been decided, because then it would be too late.

What people wanted was a remake, this is that. If you wanted a remaster then people should've busted out their Merriam-Webster and looked up the difference between what they wanted and what they were asking for. 

While I agree that this will be a remake, and what the common straw man here is a remaster. I've already said several times that they could do a lot more with the game than just a simple HD remaster. I guess what I would like to see is a mix between remaster and remake. Just take what is already there and do more with it, not change it all up. It's like remaking Ocarina of Time as a first person shooter. Somebody wanting a remake of Ocarina of Time is likely not looking for a first person shooter.

Maybe im getting mixed messages from a lot of varying opinions, but from what Im gathering people wanted a game with the same battle system, same open world, same characters, same story threads, but with aesthetic improvements. Is that not what constitutes as a remaster? 

I would say yes but then resident evil did exactly that and was called a remake so i think those two term's are different depending on the company. Thinking about it i wouldn't have any problem if square said it was a re-telling because from what we've had of the few remake's  they've all stayed the same and added stuff.

Why are they remaking it?  Probably a mix of fun and money.  Even if Square at it's core kind of sucks these days, the developers are probably having a blast with Square ponying up the cash to recreate the game from the ground up.  Rebuild, re-envision, in some areas maybe even make it better (blasphemy!).  They're fans just like the rest of us and have different brains than the guys who originally made it.  And I do have faith that the game will be good, albeit different.  It's also a big name with a lot of hype that'll surely score Square a tidy sum when all is said and done... whether the "multiple release" route was for malicious purposes or not.

I can tell you they aren't remaking it to please the FFVII purists, that's becoming painfully obvious.  That's also not a bad thing depending on the finished product.

I think there is much truth to this, sadly enough. I got some serious problems with the art style though and hoping they won't miss out on the bigger overarching themes and plots that goes beyond just the story.

No one likes a know-it-all.  Especially in a situation where you factually know next to nothing about it. xD

We know what they've done with other games recently, and we know what they've told us. We can judge the game and speculate around it just fine based on this.

When we've both seen gameplay of and heard them say the battle system is going to be more action oriented, this is a big change in the gameplay. It's going from turn based battle system to hack n slash. For someone who doesn't like hack n slash games, I generally don't, that's a massive turn off, especially considering how much I enjoyed what it already was like. The same goes with several of the other things we've talked about.

It has nothing to do with being a "know-it-all", I think you're using the term wrongly in this case.

I'm very dissapointed with this game. First of all, I'm not sure how the new combat style is going to be. Despite this, It would be cool if we see a similar combat style like Xenoblade or Kingdom Hearts but if we find another FF XIII combat mechanics then they are going to screw up this game.

And now if you tell me that they aren't doing the Open World... I'm losing all hopes.. :(

Are we confusing "open world" and "overworld"? It would suck if they got rid of the overworld but it's good if it's not open world. Modern open world games are usually incredibly boring, like with Bethesda's RPGs. Open worlds mean a whole lot of nothing, which is where overworlds come in to cut down on all the absolutely empty fields that take 5 minutes to walk through.

• Like 1

Because this isnt FF7, and the sooner people realise that the better. Bitching and moaning doesnt add substance either. Im glad they are changing it up and taking risks. 

It isn't Final Fantasy 7 despite the fact said name is included in the remake. Right, good to know.

Most of us aren't bitching and moaning; rather, we're expressing our apprehension and explaining in detail how the publisher could have appeased both old and new fans alike. Thus far in this thread you've done nothing but curse and belittle others.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/12/21/413208/

1. The game will have full voice overs, so characters that weren’t in Advent Children will need new voice actors. They haven’t been decided yet.

2.The date event will be fully voiced, but due to changes in the social situation certain scenes have to be implemented carefully, like the Honey Bee Inn.

3.Info on the overworld cannot be provided yet, but it won’t be an open world or sandbox game. Nomura-san is more interested in showing how characters affect the environment.

4.Minigames that have left an impression with the fans will be included. The inclusion of the smaller ones will require consideration, as they all need to be developed with the latest tech.

5.The game’s development is in the initial stages, they started developing the battle system.

No information can be shared on whether the game will be out by 2017, but more information on that might come after the release of World of Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts II.8 HD in 2016.

You enjoy the cut's yet? Different battle system,episodic,not open world, cutting up honey bee inn. More fuck up's will be announced later please look forward.

Seems to me that they are rushing things, and we all know how that ends. But truth be told it's also not very surprising knowing the massive scale of the world, it would take another 10 years or so to develop. Hopefully they'll change their mind regarding these things later on, not gonna hold my breath though... -_-

FFXI was an MMORPG.  You controlled your own character, you made and progress with, other people controlled the other party members.

They have said a few times that the FFVII gameplay isn't finalized yet, so I would calm down about that at least (what we seen of it is their basic idea of how they want it to go).

FFXI is still very much ongoing.

While it's true what you just said, I believe people wanted a massive new overworld where they could roam and explore freely similar to FFXV in the remake. Right now the only thing that's in common to the original game is the story, and even that will be tweaked I'm sure. I think it's more like have the graphics look like from this era, keep the turn based system but improve it in some form, as mentioned before massive overworld with free exploration, have the soundtrack remastered, perhaps more sidequests added to the fray. There, I think that's what people wanted, but right now those are the exact same things SE is taking away from the game, and I'm sure other critical aspects of the game will be removed as well. Question is if wether or not we'll get something new added to the missing stuff? :(

We know what they've done with other games recently, and we know what they've told us. We can judge the game and speculate around it just fine based on this.

When we've both seen gameplay of and heard them say the battle system is going to be more action oriented, this is a big change in the gameplay. It's going from turn based battle system to hack n slash. For someone who doesn't like hack n slash games, I generally don't, that's a massive turn off, especially considering how much I enjoyed what it already was like. The same goes with several of the other things we've talked about.

It has nothing to do with being a "know-it-all", I think you're using the term wrongly in this case.

Just keep in mind that speculation can be wrong, or exaggerated.  If the gameplay shift of the combat seems pretty evident based on the minimal information we've gotten, and that's a dealbreaker for you, so be it... but this:

"Sort of, but you still get all the characters, some of the world (even if the world seems a lot "lighter"), some of the story and stuff you do in the game, but that's really about it it seems."  ... is less than speculation.  A more aggressive person might call it BS, a load of bunk. ;)  They really haven't said anything to support it.

Edited by FrecLognAizeW

"Sort of, but you still get all the characters, some of the world (even if the world seems a lot "lighter"), some of the story and stuff you do in the game, but that's really about it it seems."  ... is less than speculation.  A more aggressive person might call it BS, a load of bunk. ;)  They really haven't said anything to support it.

What was wrong about this? :S This is what we've been told so far. That they are keeping the characters, some of the world (and we can tell by the graphics so far it's "lighter"), and that we get most of the story and the more memorable things you do in the game. But also that they change the combat system, so that's not the same. That much of the way you explored will change. etc

You can tell some of it from this video. They may of course change it as some point, especially depending on feedback and what they see working and not working, but what they're saying and what we've been shown is what we base our opinions on. We also know what they've done with earlier games, and they're saying much of the same things about this game. They think certain things are outdated, they're ashamed of it, and want to innovate. It's pretty clear by interviews that they want to make changes to the game for the sake of changing it.

Just keep in mind that speculation can be wrong, or exaggerated.  If the gameplay shift of the combat seems pretty evident based on the minimal information we've gotten, and that's a dealbreaker for you, so be it... but this:

Yes, they can change their opinion, change what they've done etc. I hope they do, but I'm basing myself on what they've said and done so far. This is more than reasonable.

I will probably get the game either way, but certainly not rush out to get it day one or pre-order etc, especially not when they mess up the things I'd love to play the game for. I will certainly enjoy the game a whole lot less if it plays in a way I like less, obviously.

One thing they could do is make the combat system seem more fluid and take your location into account etc, for those with less attention span, and still keep it turn based. Should be pointed out that FFVII isn't pure turn based, it's ATB.

They gotta fix Cloud's arms... :\

I get to see Tifa's body remade in glorious HD

I really hope they won't make her breasts smaller... :P

And Cloud's arms need to be bigger, even if it's not really his sword and he hasn't been trained (AFAIK) to use it.

Edited by MMDE

There are certain things about FF7 that I worry about that may be totally screwed up by splitting the game up in episodes. Things like overall themes and character development. Character stats progression. It's definitely not just the money. It's shit to sit there with like 1/3 of a game, and not have the entire thing there. Also, they say Midgard will be one game alone. WTF?! That's like 2-3 hours of the original game. They might pad that out to like 5-10 hours, but ... ????

I am actually one of those who didn't like the battle system changes, because I think the turn based battle system was one of the fundamental things that made the game what it was. I was expecting them to do something to it to appeal to more people. I've given some few examples of this in an earlier post.

For real? Damn, SE might be more screwed up than EA if they end up charging you a high price for that.

I never played the original for more than a couple mins perhaps, so I didn't know the battle system played a huge role in the game's identity. That being said, I guess it's safe to assume this is leaning more towards the reboot definition rather than a remake. You can't make huge changes to a game's essence if you still want to keep the remake stuff up.

Edited by Lord_of_Ra

X360 and PS2 support is ending March 2016.

As far as I am aware PC is still ongoing after that.

X360 and PS2 support already ended.. infact, PS2 support ended probably when they took that entire network down.  FFXI is going to live on as a Mobile game, it's out already.

• Like 1

No this is not correct.

X360 support and PS2 support will end spring 2016.

PC is still active right now and recently had a free period of play. I used this free period to play myself.

I have played FFXI for 9 years.

Edit: You are right about the mobile though, this is happening.

Edited by JapanimeGamer

No this is not correct.

X360 support and PS2 support will end spring 2016.

PC is still active right now and recently had a free period of play. I used this free period to play myself.

I have played FFXI for 9 years.

Edit: You are right about the mobile though, this is happening.

Eh, they must keep changing their minds then.  I remember they said about closing the X360/PS2 versions down sometime summer 2015 and that the PC version be stopped sometime in 2016.  Maybe their fanbase didn't want them to do it so they kept it up.  It really is mad how long they have kept FFXI going.  I played it years ago as well (when leveling grind was a nightmare, I've heard they have nerfed that quite a bit now).