Stranger of Sword City

Update: Game has now been pushed back to April 26th for NA and April 29th for EUhttps://twitter.com/NISAmerica/status/692800591735566337

I don’t know about any of you but I am a huge fan of Wizardry-style dungeon crawlers. In fact, it’s easily my favorite type of RPG. I quickly became a fan of Experience, Inc. when I bought Demon Gaze on the Vita. I always thought that I could only get that kind of RPG on a PlayStation system (strictly speaking between just Xbox and PlayStation) but then shortly after I found out about Stranger of Sword City that had come out only in Japan, but of all systems it had come out only on the Xbox 360.

I was very surprised that any Japanese video game company would develop a game exclusively for an Xbox system since it seems like Japanese game developers can be stubbornly loyal to PlayStation, a Japan-based brand. Ever since I found out about that game I kept hoping for a dungeon crawler to make its way to the US on an Xbox system, either a translation of Stranger of Sword City or just an entirely different game. Unfortunately it never happened and seemed like it never would.

However now I am pleased to present….

stranger-of-sword-city-1_1.jpg

April 26th for NA and April 29th for EU

The official site for the Vita version has launched here - http://nisamerica.com/games/stranger-sword-city/
Though I personally feel that the Xbox One site is actually done much better as it gives you more information about the game to explore. I believe it was done by the devs so that might be why. - http://drpg-sosc.com/

Official NISA Teaser Trailer - 

Official Xbox Trailer (Since it too shows more about the game than the NISA trailer) - 

9 images of the game are in the spoiler tag. They're from the initial announcement when pretty much everything was still in Japanese.

sosc_1.jpg

sosc_2.jpg

sosc_3.jpg

sosc_4.jpg

sosc_5.jpg

sosc_6.jpg

sosc_7.jpg

sosc_8.jpg

sosc_9.jpg

Currently the NIS America store is at 25%-50% stock on the limited edition and the NISA Europe store is at 11%-25% stock on the limited edition. The limited edition contains the game, collector box, 18.5" x 26" poster, 108 page 8 x 11 soft cover art book (similar to what came with Operation Abyss) and 2 disc soundtrack. You can hear some of the music on the NISA site for the game.

psv_us_le_3d_2.jpg

Edited by BooneIronshield
  • Like 1

I'm buying it on X1 and Vita, just to support the developer. The 360 one was really good in my opinion. 

You mean DRPG, right?

Yeah, I plan on doing that too. I've heard, from pretty much just 1 person, that the physical Xbox One version but none of the retailers actually mention it so I'm holding off on that one until I know that it does. Otherwise I'll just buy the digital copy.

Yeah, I plan on doing that too. I've heard, from pretty much just 1 person, that the physical Xbox One version but none of the retailers actually mention it so I'm holding off on that one until I know that it does. Otherwise I'll just buy the digital copy.

Yeah, I really feel for experience. I heard NISA told them to not make an X1 physical release due to the lack of X1 presence in Japan (Off based rumor). 

Yeah, I really feel for experience. I heard NISA told them to not make an X1 physical release due to the lack of X1 presence in Japan (Off based rumor). 

Yeah, they're the only dev where I always try to buy their games to show support.

It wouldn't surprise me if they did that. There are quite a few people who only have an Xbox but would love an RPG like this, I think it'd actually sell relatively well worldwide but I'm just glad it's getting released in some form, a good way to test the waters for their, hopefully, next release.

• Like 1

Yeah, they're the only dev where I always try to buy their games to show support.

It wouldn't surprise me if they did that. There are quite a few people who only have an Xbox but would love an RPG like this, I think it'd actually sell relatively well worldwide but I'm just glad it's getting released in some form, a good way to test the waters for their, hopefully, next release.

Me too. I don't understand J developers at the moment, they would of had better success on the X1 if they went the digital route to test the waters. Anyway, I can't wait for the game and I hope you enjoy it. 

• Like 1

Me too. I don't understand J developers at the moment, they would of had better success on the X1 if they went the digital route to test the waters. Anyway, I can't wait for the game and I hope you enjoy it. 

Agreed, hopefully more end up trying it. Yeah, me too and thanks, I'm sure I will going by Operation Abyss and Demon Gaze. Hopefully you enjoy it as well.

• Like 1

I'm buying it on X1 and Vita, just to support the developer. The 360 one was really good in my opinion. 

You mean DRPG, right?

It's made by a Japanese company in Japan originally aimed for Japanese audiences, so I'm technically correct. "J" for Japanese, as opposed to WRPG, or Western RPGs like Wizardry, Baldur's Gate, The Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, etc.

Edited by damon8r351

I've pre-ordered it, but it's basically a re-skin of Operation Abyss: New Tokyo Legacy, don't get me wrong not much wrong with that, but thinking of how I have finished that and have other games just like that to finish, I'm actually tempted to leave this, well for a while at least

It's made by a Japanese company in Japan originally aimed for Japanese audiences, so I'm technically correct. "J" for Japanese, as opposed to WRPG, or Western RPGs like Wizardry, Baldur's Gate, The Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, etc.

Not trying to argue with you, I'm just giving you the correct terms lol. Also the terms JRPGs and WRPGs don't exist in the real world, internet maybe.  

• Like 1

OMG! They made DG and OA as well? May have to buy those.  <3

Whoops, just saw this. Yeah, they're both pretty good too. I plan on getting the EU version of Operation Abyss at some point too.

Not trying to argue with you, I'm just giving you the correct terms lol. Also the terms JRPGs and WRPGs don't exist in the real world, internet maybe.

Just to add to what FlareXV said, it can probably be somewhat subjective but I think DRPG is definitely more correct than JRPG or WRPG when talking about style, especially since this type of game, which includes Wizardry (spin-offs and other games in the series since 1991), Demon Gaze, Moe Chronicle, Dungeon Travelers 2, Operation Abyss, Class of Heroes, Elminage, Stranger of Sword City and any others I didn't name, may be made by various Japanese companies but they are all Western in style, with the exception of the graphical style which is Japanese, since they all came about because of a company in New York and Canada.

Edited by BooneIronshield
  • Like 1

Whoops, just saw this. Yeah, they're both pretty good too. I plan on getting the EU version of Operation Abyss at some point too.

Just to add to what FlareXV said, it can probably be somewhat subjective but I think DRPG is definitely more correct than JRPG or WRPG when talking about style, especially since this type of game, which includes Wizardry (spin-offs and other games in the series since 1991), Demon Gaze, Moe Chronicle, Dungeon Travelers 2, Operation Abyss, Class of Heroes, Elminage, Stranger of Sword City and any others I didn't name, may be made by various Japanese companies but they are all Western in style, with the exception of the graphical style which is Japanese, since they all came about because of a company in New York and Canada.

Yeah, what this guy said! 

• 2 weeks later...