Opinions on Tales of Zestiria

MarcusTheShadow

Im going for the platinum at the moment, and I think the story is one of the best Ive played in the series! The combat is pretty straightforward, but the equipment system takes some getting used, although Id imagine it would be fine on Simple or Normal while youre getting used to it.

• Like 1

I'm just cleaning up the plat right now, I cleared the game already. I had a hard time getting attached to the characters early on and felt like "something was missing" but the further I got into the game more and more I enjoyed it. It's a Tales game after all, there all amazing just give this one a bit more time imo.

I like the combat, it uses SC, you have a 100, skills and combos cost on average 10-20 per hit and it recharges by standing still, moving or blocking. I personally didn't like the Graces f mechanic, this felt like a better version.

Overall it's a good game but give it time because there's a lot of things different compared to a typical tales game, but it's a good game.

Xillia 1-2 is the best though so don't compare anything to that :)

• Like 1

Since I finished it once, I can give my opinion.

- Skill system: equipment have skills, that can be combined generating varied effects which lets you costumize each character with what you want (strong against a specific monster, heavy magic user, status resistance, etc). Most complains about the game come from this, because it is not an easy thing to understand;

- Battle system: directions on the Left Analog with the attack button will result in a different attack. There is also the Armatization, in which two characters merge to be a new "being" with strong area attacks and an elemental affinity. Lots of users dont like this because it reduces your battle team;

- Story: simple, really simple. Boy from secluded village sets out to save the world from evil. Dont expect much more than this;

- Characters: mildly developed, leaving a lot of questions or loose strings. Dont expect romance at all. Villains are not that convincing, unfortunately;

- Scenario: Almost an open world (the game has its way to block your entrance to parts of the map). A good number of extra bosses to be fought, non-mandatory ruins and sidequests.

Overall, it is not a bad game but is not a high ranked one too. It is definitely worth your time for the challenge its many differences offer.

• Like 1

True what ab4 said about the fusion system, it's basically chinese. Don't even bother attempting to understand it unless necessary, I'm gonna do the 2 hardest difficulty trophies soon and I ain't bothering with the skill transfer fusioning. Some people say leveling is useless because your stats go up only slightly and your hp does not increase. You increase HP by defeating story, side quest and field bosses, they drop orbs that increase your hp. But don't think leveling is useless, because it clearly isn't, I'm level 100 right now and it obviously does show. To increase stats you get herbs, leveling, and equipment. Leveling is just as important as any other game.

I thought it was boring. The story and dialogue are very tough to sit through. Honestly, I think I'd have a better time listening to someone scraping their nails down a blackboard. It's just so....what's the word I'm looking for....oh, yeah, nice! Nice is the word I'm looking for.

The characters are so cheesy and twee, it makes me feel sick. I know this is the case for 99% of JRPGs, but in the case of Tales of Whatever, it's especially awful. Zero effort has been put into separating this from the norm and instead you're presented with cliché after cliché. It's like they can't even be bothered trying anymore. Maybe if you switch your brain off, then you might be able to scrape some enjoyment out of it, but I doubt it because anyone with half a brain cell would be bored by it before long.

The combat is ok. Nothing special. Again, I got bored. Bored of constant button tapping. No strategy. No skill. Nothing like that is required. In fact, I don't even think looking at the screen is necessary, which is a good job as it's incredibly difficult to see what's going on due to so much on-screen chaos.

Look, you seem to be quite up for some Tales fun, so instead I offer a suggestion: Play Tales of Vesperia instead. It's much, much better in every way possible. Or, failing that play AR Nosurge. It's dialogue and characters are light years ahead of anything Tales can throw at you. But whatever....it's your choice. Play what you like.

Well I loved it. In my opinion, it has some of the best characters in any Tales game. People like to complain about a certain someone leaving, but that's blown way out of proportion. There are many other great party members. A lot of genuinely hilarious moments too, most of them involving Edna and Meebo. xD

I'm not a huge fan of the skill system as I think it is way too complicated. Maybe I'm just dumb though... :P They give you these big open areas to explore, but a lot of it is empty, which is a shame.

Overall though, it's one of the best Tales games I've played and I would recommend it to anyone.

Edited by Undead Wolf

I thought it was boring. The story and dialogue are very tough to sit through. Honestly, I think I'd have a better time listening to someone scraping their nails down a blackboard. It's just so....what's the word I'm looking for....oh, yeah, nice! Nice is the word I'm looking for.

The characters are so cheesy and twee, it makes me feel sick. I know this is the case for 99% of JRPGs, but in the case of Tales of Whatever, it's especially awful. Zero effort has been put into separating this from the norm and instead you're presented with cliché after cliché. It's like they can't even be bothered trying anymore. Maybe if you switch your brain off, then you might be able to scrape some enjoyment out of it, but I doubt it because anyone with half a brain cell would be bored by it before long.

The combat is ok. Nothing special. Again, I got bored. Bored of constant button tapping. No strategy. No skill. Nothing like that is required. In fact, I don't even think looking at the screen is necessary, which is a good job as it's incredibly difficult to see what's going on due to so much on-screen chaos.

Look, you seem to be quite up for some Tales fun, so instead I offer a suggestion: Play Tales of Vesperia instead. It's much, much better in every way possible. Or, failing that play AR Nosurge. It's dialogue and characters are light years ahead of anything Tales can throw at you. But whatever....it's your choice. Play what you like.

You played about about 5 hours in a 60 hour story. Combat is no skill and strategy cus you were playing on easy. You can't judge a games difficulty by playing a 12th of the game, on easy to top it off, and you can't judge a games story without having actually you know..completed it, especially a JRPG where most of the time 80% of the story unfolds near the end of the game. Go play super meat boy complete the first level and then go ranting at how it's an easy game. You opinion is completely irrelevant.

• Like 2

You never fought a group of spellcasters on hard, intense or chaos difficulty as button mashing can only lead you to an early load screen.

• Like 1

"You played about about 5 hours in a 60 hour story. Combat is no skill and strategy cus you were playing on easy. You can't judge a games difficulty by playing a 12th of the game, on easy to top it off, and you can't judge a games story without having actually you know..completed it, especially a JRPG where most of the time 80% of the story unfolds near the end of the game."

I've played more than enough of this game to form an opinion on it. And that opinion isn't very favourable. Sorry if that bothers you, but the fact is I don't think this game is that good. Certainly not as good as other Tales games anyway.

Also, for the record, the battle difficulty was left on its default setting, which was normal. It was too easy so I tried all the difficulties and nothing really changes other than the length of the fight. The enemies aren't smarter, or do they change their strategy. They just hit you slightly harder and take less damage. Either way, I still stick by what I said: The combat is button-tappy. This is the same for all Tales games really.

Edited by CrisisTheory

The dictionary definition of ignorance. So by your logic, you can judge a movie in the first 10 minutes, a book by reading the prologue, and an anime by watching the first episode. You must not enjoy many things. And like I said before, by your logic, super beat boy is an easy game because the first level is so easy!

The dictionary definition of ignorance. So by your logic, you can judge a movie in the first 10 minutes, a book by reading the prologue, and an anime by watching the first episode. You must not enjoy many things. And like I said before, by your logic, super beat boy is an easy game because the first level is so easy!

Actually, I think I can judge a movie by the first 10 minutes. You generally get a feel for whether you're going to like it or not pretty early on. Now, sometimes I'm wrong and the film turns out to be better than expected. But, most of the time I'm bang on and the film turns out to be exactly how I expected. But that's nothing special. I'm in my 30's and have watched more than enough guff from Hollywood to see the predictable format and characters unfolding before my very eyes. It's not as hard as you're trying to make out.

And ignorance is a word you should look up yourself, because you seem pretty ignorant to other opinions that don't fall into line with your own.

Look, the topic creator asked for opinions, I gave mine. End of. No point arguing. That's how I feel. If you want to discuss it maturely then fine, but your tone suggests you don't know how. Maybe we should agree to disagree?

Zestiria is a good game, you should play it if you liked Xillia 1 and 2 before. ;)

The story is good, though I thought it hadn't as many suprises as Xillia or other Tales of games. The combat system is really good too, and the equipment system gives you lot of possibilities - it can be hard to get into it though. One of the main differences to other Tales of games is the high emphasis on herbs and equipment - basically you can only really increase your stats through those. And through side- and main-events. There are herbs everywhere though and lots of monsters drop equipment. ^^ I liked the characters a lot too, except for Alisha, don't know why everyone loves her so much. :P

If you're going to plat the game, you're going to look into 60-70 hours playtime, including some grind of equipment abilities. I personally thought it was a pretty fast grind though, I got the needed abilities really fast. ^^

EDIT:

I forgot something important: If you're playing with a friend, the camera will be your worst enemy. It is reeeaaally bad on co-op. No problems when playing alone though. ^^

Edited by ShadowStefan

EDIT:

I forgot something important: If you're playing with a friend, the camera will be your worst enemy. It is reeeaaally bad on co-op. No problems when playing alone though. ^^

I think this is not common knowledge, because I couldn't find this info anywhere online but it IS possible to control the camera on multiplayer. You know how you give out orders with the right stick? In multiplayer P1's right stick becomes the camera control and P2's right stick gives out orders, P3 and P4 can't do anything with it.

My friends and I figured out this out accidentally and we've never had camera issues since.

Edna best girl.

ftfy Edited by Xhillia

I think this is not common knowledge, because I couldn't find this info anywhere online but it IS possible to control the camera on multiplayer. You know how you give out orders with the right stick? In multiplayer P1's right stick becomes the camera control and P2's right stick gives out orders, P3 and P4 can't do anything with it. My friends and I figured out this out accidentally and we've never had camera issues since.

Oh yeah, I actually figured that out too, but I guess I just wasn't good enough with handling the camera to cancel out the camera problems. Still, good you mentioned it. ^^

You must be Sickleo to think that. Edna all the way.  :P

Yes, so true! :D
  • Like 1

Platted the game a little while back. It's a great game, but not perfect. (No game is)

The Good

- Battle system is great (Armatization :holy:)

- Good Characters

- Ufotable Animation (Although not enough of these)

The Bad

- The god damn camera during enclosed battles. I appreciate they wanted to have the battle there in the area you are in, rather than go to a seperate screen, but it really screws you over when you're in a dungeon.

- RNG for some trophies :shakefist:

- Fusions and Stacks. <_<

I'd say if you are a Tales fan then most certainly play it. It's the usual great stuff, with some nitpicks here and there.

• Like 1