Buying New PC. Is My Old PC Worth Selling & If So How Much?

Pyro

Hello, I purchased my PC around 2008/09 & with Microsoft ending there support for Vista in April 2017.

I've decided to invest in a new one with overall better specs, and not knowing much about PC's considering I've only really

used mine for office work, browsing, and watching films etc,, I'm wondering how much would I get for my old computer?

post-100876-0-43098100-1454162428_thumb.jpg

post-100876-0-94331300-1454162434_thumb.png

The computer itself has the specs above & I know you can upgrade it to Windows 7 to prolong the life cycle up to 2020.

Whether you can upgrade it from there to 8, 8.1, and maybe even 10. I'm not sure on that stuff. Anyways I just want

an upgrade from this computer with software of windows pre-installed. 

For anyone know a lot about computers, my PC is in excellent condition although it does need a wipe down here and there,

but overall it runs smoothly & just wondering if it's worth selling?

No, you won't get a lot for that PC, it's really outdated and it was a factory build (so not much can be done to it, probably hasn't even got a proper graphics card in it) and the CPU is AMD, most people prefer Intel.  You'll probably get like £30 for it max.  It's not worth spending your money on Windows 7 to upgrade it, you will only be losing more money if you do.

No, you won't get a lot for that PC, it's really outdated and it was a factory build (so not much can be done to it, probably hasn't even got a proper graphics card in it) and the CPU is AMD, most people prefer Intel.  You'll probably get like £30 for it max.  It's not worth spending your money on Windows 7 to upgrade it, you will only be losing more money if you do.

I thought about getting Windows 7, but for how little I'll get just isn't worth it plus for having that PC for years, I guess it did it's fair share. 

You wouldn't get too much from anyone who knows what's up, like Demon said, but you could luck out and get someone largely not in the know to come grab it if you threw it up on Gumtree or something, worth a shot I guess.

There is a Gumtree in England right? I'm pretty sure there is but if I'm thinking of somewhere else, then I look like an idiot.

For anyone know a lot about computers, my PC is in excellent condition although it does need a wipe down here and there,

but overall it runs smoothly & just wondering if it's worth selling?

Your computer maxes out at 8 gb ram, and only does DDR2. http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c01779667

It does have an x16 slot so someone could put in a graphics card, but it's limited by a 250 watt power supply.

I agree with the above posters, you could get about $50 for it in the states, or about £30 for it in the UK. Don't hang on to it though. The longer you hang on to it, the less it's worth. Find some place to list it and see what offers you get for it. It's still more than ideal for a student.

My advice, keep hold of it, you got any relations you can donate it to?  (After fully "cleaning" it of course).

I'd second this.  The odds of someone needing a computer so desperately they'd actually pay for a strangers nearly decade old hand-me-down seems pretty slim, and even moreso to get enough coming back to be worth the effort.

See if maybe you have a grandparent or relative that isn't particularly tech savvy, but would still appreciate having a PC around (or maybe a slight upgrade if they're still stuck on an older one)... clean it up for them and show them the ropes.  Get a little of that good karma.

Edited by FrecLognAizeW
  • Like 2

Technology really sucks, you ain't gonna get much for it.  There is a Gumtree in England yes, and like the States the UK gumtree is also full of pap.

My advice, keep hold of it, you got any relations you can donate it to?  (After fully "cleaning" it of course).

My nephew said he'll have it for £50 being he knows a friend that will upgrade it to Windows 7. Also my PC tower has been all cleaned out. It's just the case of finding another PC now with a budget

My nephew said he'll have it for £50 being he knows a friend that will upgrade it to Windows 7. Also my PC tower has been all cleaned out. It's just the case of finding another PC now with a budget

Umm.. I think you mistook the cleaning he meant.  He means to wipe Windows, set it back to Factory Settings technically.  If you aren't sure how to do that, you can maybe see if your nephew's friend can be trusted to do it if he can upgrade Windows.

What GPU?

From the link I posted above:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c01779667

Video graphics
Integrated graphics using nVidia GeForce 6150SE

*Integrated video is not available if a graphics card is installed.

• Integrated graphics using nVidia GeForce 6150SE
  • Also supports PCI Express x16 graphics cards*

Good call. For someone who knows what they're doing, this PC can be put to good use.

From the link I posted above:

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c01779667

Video graphics
Integrated graphics using nVidia GeForce 6150SE

*Integrated video is not available if a graphics card is installed.

• Integrated graphics using nVidia GeForce 6150SE
  • Also supports PCI Express x16 graphics cards*

Good call. For someone who knows what they're doing, this PC can be put to good use.

Yeah, definitely not worth a whole lot. Might be used as a file server or something.

Burn it, maybe take the stuffs for parts. Maybe keep the HDD since its still a ok backup drive as its 500GB. As most mentioned its not really worth anything

You can check GADGET VALUE and get an idea what it could be worth at perfect condition, just subtract 20-50% of that value they give you...

I enter your PC spec roughly and got a 50-75$ range.