Road to Golden League!

Xugashi

I should probably watch these videos since my win rate is probably about 25% and in 75% of the lost games I lose by 1 punch or kick and in half the losses I'm usually in that situation because I did a stupid mistake and got combo'd bad at the start of the round :S

• 2 weeks later...

I should probably watch these videos since my win rate is probably about 25% and in 75% of the lost games I lose by 1 punch or kick and in half the losses I'm usually in that situation because I did a stupid mistake and got combo'd bad at the start of the round :S

My advice to you is to simply learn R. Mika!:D

• 1 month later...

Lol, yea R Mika can be ridiculous. Am so happy, It took me 5 days from the time I started at 0LP to go all the way to Golden League with 4060LP. I will admit, it was very annoying when I hit Ultra Silver especially. But am so happy it only took me 5 days start to finish to get it done I used Alex and if anyone in here was really freaking good with him in SF3 3rd Strike like myself, I advise you pick him and learn him because he is a really good character if used right (not saying it will be easy tho).

• 3 years later...

I reckon it's much more harder today to hit Gold Rank in my country, than it was during SFV's launch year...maybe pre-Tekken 7 launch. The rank pools are much sparser which means the LP circulation gets tighter and everyone is improving on their Match-up knowledge more acutely. Lots of people like to use shotos, Akuma and other high tiers like Ibuki.

My advice for playing good enough to get there:

• Understand and gain fluency for how your character plays neutral. 'Neutral' is a loose term for describing how you can control spacing in a match. A lot of things tie into this, e.g if Ryu throws a zoning fireball at your character at X distance, what's your answer? Block? Vskill? jump-in punish? If G tries to jump in on you, will you be good enough to anti-air him and score a decent knockdown advantage? What horizontal pokes does your character use?
  • Depending on the tools your character has, you might have to play differently than how you're used to if fighting a bad match-up. Example, Zangief struggles against Kolin (VT), Juri's worst MU is Bison, Bison doing his usual corner pressure gets him SPD'ed by Zangief, etc. Understand your character's game plan for bad MUs and shotos.
  • Practise on being consistent for punishes. Say a Ryu does a combo you blocked and he's minus -8. Be on point with punishing your opponent's minuses otherwise, you will be "buffing" their character. First punishes you want to lab are the popular ones, so Ryu, Akuma, Ken. . .and so on. Also remember that whiff punish is a thing.
  • Do all you can to play on a stable connection. I will be straight up on this point; the optimisation for SFV's netcode sucks gorilla balls to the point where online matches makes the game an enemy to itself for all the designs and balancing Capcom applied. When you play SFV rank, always use ethernet wire connection and try to keep your PC downloads paused during these sessions for maximum mitigation against lag. Set your online stage to Training Room. If you're consistently laggy against a certain person, despite everything you're doing, chances are they might be lag-switching (an actual tactic folks use in this game) or playing on WiFi (some of the Mikas and Kens liked to do this in my experience). I usually give these people three strike chances before putting them on my blacklist for unstable connection. No point wasting time with them.
  • Don't mindlessly mash buttons in neutral. Won't get you far.
  • Lastly, if you're lazy about getting to gold, don't play low tier characters. Otherwise, pick who you enjoy playing. I took a character like Juri to Gold Rank despite the umm...vast amount of criticisms for the way Capcom designed her in SFV lol. She's probably the hardest character in the game to learn.

That's all I can think of for now. Good luck to those still trying for this trophy.

Edited by Eraezr
  • Like 2