Games as a subscription service ?

roxas1233

Hallo everyone. 

I am sitting here in Denmark, and i have noticted the last couple of years that subscription servicies are popping up everywhere!

You can now almost buy anything through a subscription service.
It is already here for Playstation through PS+.

I think it is just a matter of time before we will see physical games being sold like a subscription service.
If that is so, whould you guys be interested ? 

I personally would, because, like with the instant game collection that PS+ offers i love getting a game or two i would not normally buy or play. I like to be surpriced in that way, and if that could be done with physical games i think it would be like to get a present in your door every month or so.

What do you guys think?

Would you be interested in paying X amount to get a "random"?  

What, like Gamefly?  Only with a "send me random games" option?

I wouldn't do it, I don't "rent" games anymore (generally speaking, or the PS+ offerings that you only get to keep while subscribed).  But that's kind of a fun idea.  I think it'd be tough to keep people honest when it comes to returning them in a timely fashion, but I'd imagine that must be a problem now anyways.

Edited by Dreakon13

It would depend on the exact terms of the subscription, but in principle I'm not opposed to the idea and it's something I would consider if a decent subscription service was available. 

I could see myself going for something like a PlayStation Super Sub for approx £30 a month, provided that it gave me access to the complete library on the console, and that the games were installed on my machine rather than streamed. I spend more than that amount on games per month at the moment, but would have thought that £30 is a decent price which, with enough subs, would make the proposition viable for all stakeholders. 

One problem with any subscription service however, will be that it will probably require an always online connection. The console will have to be able to check whether you are currently "paid up" (maybe a data packet with an expiration date could be installed on the console just in case it has to be played offline, e.g. if the internet goes down in your area?). I'm sure there are other ways around it, but we saw from the reaction to XBOne's "always online" proposition that the idea is deeply unpopular with some vocal gamers, so I doubt that the platform holders are looking into it seriously. 

What, like Gamefly?  Only with a "send me random games" option?

I wouldn't do it, I don't "rent" games anymore (generally speaking or the PS+ offerings that you only get to keep while subscribed).  But that's kind of a fun idea.  I think it'd be tough to keep people honest when it comes to returning them in a timely fashion, but I'd imagine that must be a problem now anyways.

I can see what u mean :) I think Blockbuster tried renting out games, but... well i dont think there is any blockbuster stores where i live anymore.

But what if you where garentied a game you have never played before? Thats one of the problems with PS+ now, some of the games that they offer i have already played. And due to the games being in its disc form you would receive Triple A games. 

I can see what u mean :) I think Blockbuster tried renting out games, but... well i dont think there is any blockbuster stores where i live anymore.

But what if you where garentied a game you have never played before? Thats one of the problems with PS+ now, some of the games that they offer i have already played. And due to the games being in its disc form you would receive Triple A games. 

I think the cost of physically shipping discs out, the potential for abuse of the discs and upset customers, and limited # of copies of games available (as opposed to digital being unlimited)... is making an idea like this obsolete, a thing of the past.  It just isn't practical when they can offer up a half dozen downloadable games with almost no overhead for $4 a month.

A physical service would probably run customers around $15+ a month for maybe one or two "random" games, possibly all scratched up and covered in dirt, to show at your door... that you may not even like or want to play anyways.  And there are plenty of lousy games on disc too, for what it's worth. :P  And a lot of download-only games you'll be missing out on.

Fun idea, but I can't see it working, in this day and age.

EDIT: I also don't think it's possible to guarantee the recipient has never played a game before.  What if they played it at a friends house?  Or owned it before?  Or still own it? ;)

Edited by Dreakon13

This idea doesn't appeal to me in the least. The physical games I have on my self that I have picked out and bought were bought with intention. The potential for me to get games in genres I absolutely suck in (FPS and Sports) is too much for me to accept when spending my money.

This idea is great to make money off people with no concerns for blowing money and plenty of time to play games, but I have a feeling that's not a very large part of the gaming public. I believe most of the physical goods subscription services make their money off people who just never bother to unsubscribe. That and they have some catch like subscribe now for some low price! And then in fine print: If you don't unsubscribe within 60 days, you will be signed up for a 1 year membership at (Low Price x 5) per month. You will not receive your first items for 50 days.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I think there's a way to make it work.

For maybe $15-20 a month, let's say you get one brand new factory sealed game that you don't have to return or anything.  When signing up, you get to punch in (or select) a list of games you already own and/or that you don't want (maybe you just don't like them, have already played them, etc).  Anything that gets sent, is added to the list.  Maybe select a few genre's to avoid as well.  Maybe some kind of "release date range" that's robust enough to allow people to choose only older or newer titles if they want to (would have to think this through though to avoid everyone picking May 2016 and getting Uncharted 4 for $15-20; maybe they choose specific years, all selected by default, and "only the current year" is an invalid option).

No risk of messy used discs or worrying about sending them back, less risk of getting something you genuinely dislike, a possibility of getting a really good game for a really good price, or something you would've never thought to buy but wind up enjoying.  Great for indecisive gamers with a little disposable income who often "just want to play something" but wouldn't mind someone (or something) making the decision for them.  Also, continued support of physical copies of games, which is a plus in my book.

I dunno, I actually don't hate that idea.  I wonder how cost effective it could be on the companies side.

Edited by Dreakon13

I think the cost of physically shipping discs out, the potential for abuse of the discs and upset customers, and limited # of copies of games available (as opposed to digital being unlimited)... is making an idea like this obsolete, a thing of the past.  It just isn't practical when they can offer up a half dozen downloadable games with almost no overhead for $4 a month.

A physical service would probably run customers around $15+ a month for maybe one or two "random" games, possibly all scratched up and covered in dirt, to show at your door... that you may not even like or want to play anyways.  And there are plenty of lousy games on disc too, for what it's worth. :P  And a lot of download-only games you'll be missing out on.

Fun idea, but I can't see it working, in this day and age.

EDIT: I also don't think it's possible to guarantee the recipient has never played a game before.  What if they played it at a friends house?  Or owned it before?  Or still own it? ;)

You make some vailed point :) 

What if the subcription service worked like a automatic release packed. So every month you got the most anticipated game (one game) for the month, but a little cheeper. 

By signing up to the service you will be able to filter off some specific game geners. fx i know some trophy hunters keep away  from fighting games due to the trophys being based on online ranking matches which is almost impossible to get.