PS2 Classics: Let's Grind in OKAGE: Shadow King!

thread2banner.png

Since I got a lot of good publicity for my Rogue Galaxy thread, I decided to create this one as this is one of the games I am doing for the Summer Backlog event. ^_^

So... this is OKAGE: Shadow King. This is a game that most people did not know existed. Think of it as the Robotrek for PS2. It was creaed by a company nobody remembers called Zener Works and released by Sony in Japan on March 3, 2001 and localized in American in the Halloween Month on the 3rd(October 3 for you laymen). This is a game that doesn't take itself seriously. It was called Me and the Devil King in Japan, and it was changed to the current title by American Sony due to the fact that any game with "Devil" in the title that doesn't involve some crazy-@$$ devil hunter is considered anti-Christian. :P

What's happening here is that you play as Ari, a Silent Protagonist whose sister gets cursed by ghosts with a fatal curse, and a weird man appears at our house and says that the only one who can save our sister is the Evil King.... *drumroll* STAN. xD I'll leave it at that for those of you who wish to play the game.

Despite the fact that it's obscure and didn't get as popular as other games of its time(Disgaea) doesn't mean that the game sucks. I played it through to completion back in the day and it's a very interesting story with interesting characters. Thus, this thread.

391699-okage_1001_007.jpg

I mean, look at the Shadow Stan! He's so creepy and crazy and has that wicked smile on his face! ^_^ (Also, this isn't my photo.)

I was amazed when Sony PSN put this obscure gem on their list and gave it trophy support. So let's all serve Stan the Evil King and get our trophies for being his loyal servants. ;)

The Major Goal: To get the platinum for OKAGE: Shadow King. This thread won't be a huge thing like in the other thread, because unlike Rogue Galaxy, OKAGE (and Dark Cloud the original) have less out-of-the-way trophies, most of them will be gained by normal gameplay.

The Laws of Servitude to Stan, The Evil King:

1. Stan the Evil King does not like people who spam posts. He has ways of dealing with Internet Trolls. (AKA you will be reported to the mods.)
  2. Stan promotes camaraderie among his servants. If you find another who has been recently enthralled to his service, please do your best to help him out by giving out tips and tricks. (In spoiler tags so the ones who do not want to be spoiled are spared.)
  3. Predicting the future is a very bad thing for those serving the Evil King: Since this game's story is very interesting and has many surprises and twists, all spoilers should be behind spoiler tags at all times.
  4. Most importantly, relax and have fun! Evil King Stan has a constant smile on his face and you should too, considering how silly and fun this game can be at times.

Tips For New Servants of the Evil King Stan:

Simply post saying you want to serve the Evil King(aka you want to play the game) or are a servant(aka you've started playing this game) and I'll add you to either the waiting list or the participating list. If you don't have the game but would like to participate, please save up your money - it's only $14.95 in the Playstation Store. ^_^ (Correct me if I am wrong.)

Don't worry about your trophy completion rate - unless you have the platinum already, you are free to join at any time! But be careful about having to drop out - Stan the Evil King looks poorly on those who leave his servitude. :devil:

List of Heros (aka those who have the Platinum)

List of Servants:

Main Story Checkpoint Badges (made by me)

12S716ce8.pngRat Catcher: Complete the first few chapters and defeat the Sewer Evil King

13S311965.pngBubble Blower: Defeat the Bubble Evil King

14S1ee35d.pngCEO: Defeat the Former Chairman Evil King

15S75935e.pngSeeing Red: Defeat the Raging Bull Evil King

16S0caa1c.pngNot A Fan: Defeat the Teen Idol Evil King

17S29d9ef.pngA Ghost of A Chance: Defeat the Phantom Evil King

18S03d5f6.pngBleh!: Defeat the Vampire Evil King

28Sb93ffc.pngOut of Character: Defeat the final boss and win the game

Special Badges:

25S29a00a.pngRare Collector: Get the following trophies to show Stan how good you are at hoarding treasure: A Wealthy Slave, All Accounted For, A Mythical Rarity, Hopkin's Legacy, Expensive Taste, and Top of the Line

4Sc03926.pngStan's Most Valuable: Show the Evil King Stan how loyal you are by getting the following trophies: Raging Devil, Much Needed Assistance, Junior Varsity, and Varsity

8S39bce8.pngBattle Master: Show Stan that you are an asset in battle by getting the following trophies: Mega Relief, Cat Scratch Fever, On Charm to Rule them All, Don't Move a Muscle, and Clear!

Best of luck to you all! Feel free to start at any time or continue from where you left off long ago. As I said before, if you have the original and just want to 100% that game alongside us, that's perfectly fine. You are free to exchange any non-spoiler information or give help.

Enjoy your time as a servant of the Evil King and give your stories of playing this game(either the port or the original back in the day).

EDIT: I have decided that, since it would be redundant to have a waiting list since those who download the game will eventually play it, I removed the waiting list. If you buy the game and post, I'll put you in the participant's list. ;)

Edited by DetectiveCJ
  • Like 1

Think of it as the Robotrek for PS2.

I can't possibly be the only person who's been gaming since the early 80's that has no idea what Robotrek is and thus has no way to think of it... right?

Other than that, your description has me interested and it's on sale! If I had the time, I would join in on this one!

$6.99 seems like a good deal to me! I'll buy it now.

Edited by DaivRules

Sign me up :P I started the game, but took a break from it for reasons (just as I did with Arc the Lad: Twilight of Spirits, which was worked on by some of the people who worked on this game as well). I was planning on getting back to it again and this may just be the motivation I need ^^ I'll finish off Valkyria Chronicles' PS4 version first though :)

Sign me up :P I started the game, but took a break from it for reasons (just as I did with Arc the Lad: Twilight of Spirits, which was worked on by some of the people who worked on this game as well). I was planning on getting back to it again and this may just be the motivation I need ^^ I'll finish off Valkyria Chronicles' PS4 version first though :)

I am a servant of the Evil King Stan.  I started awhile ago and got past the first boss I think.  I'll start again.

Okay, you two. Welcome to the thread! Stan will be pleased. ^_^

zadorvp, if you could remember where you stopped at, I can put up the appropriate badge. And angelgrevious, by first boss did you mean the Sewer Evil King? I'm sorry, I'm just starting myself and it's been a while so I forgot the boss list. :(

Edited by DetectiveCJ
  • Like 1

Okay, you two. Welcome to the thread! Stan will be pleased. ^_^

zadorvp, if you could remember where you stopped at, I can put up the appropriate badge. And angelgrevious, by first boss did you mean the Sewer Evil King? I'm sorry, I'm just starting myself and it's been a while so I forgot the boss list. :(

I stopped before your first available badge :P

Finally defeated the first Evil King but failed to get Raging Devil so far - when I played this on the PS2, I got Stan popping up every six battles before I reached Madril, but no dice here. I hope that I get the pop-up now that I have an ally.

• Like 1

Beat the Bubble Evil King last night.  I wanted to keep playing but i had to work this morning and also i may be stuck.  I'm liking the game so far (my first play-through), although some of the music is a bit much.  The humor is good, I like the characters and I should be able to get used to grinding again.  Anyway, i should be able to finish this challenge eventually. 

I've been interested in this game for a while. Since it's on sale, I might as well get it and join the event. However, I can't play tomorrow because I'll be out of town, but I can try to play some today and when I get back. :)

Edit: I am now a servant of Stan! I've played about an hour of the game so far and I really like what I've played. The music's awesome, and the game actually made me laugh a few times. Also, are you supposed to miss the circus? Because I did.

Edited by T Challa

Beat the Bubble Evil King last night.  I wanted to keep playing but i had to work this morning and also i may be stuck.  I'm liking the game so far (my first play-through), although some of the music is a bit much.  The humor is good, I like the characters and I should be able to get used to grinding again.  Anyway, i should be able to finish this challenge eventually. 

Great job. I updated your status.

I've been interested in this game for a while. Since it's on sale, I might as well get it and join the event. However, I can't play tomorrow because I'll be out of town, but I can try to play some today and when I get back. :)

Edit: I am now a servant of Stan! I've played about an hour of the game so far and I really like what I've played. The music's awesome, and the game actually made me laugh a few times. Also, are you supposed to miss the circus? Because I did.

Yes, that event is supposed to happen, don't worry about it. ;) Welcome to the thread!

• Like 1

Just beat the Former Chairman Evil King, finally getting into the flow of this game.  The random encounters is dragging me down a bit but I think I can deal with it.  I love the artwork in the game manual, it reminds me of school doodles i made as a kid, inspiring me to draw some more.  Thanks for putting this thread/challenge together CJ.  

Edited by angelgrievous

If it is not too late I like to be a servant of the evil King.  I just got the game today and it is already a lot of fun.

There's not entry deadline - unlike the Backlog challenges or others of its ilk, you are free to join at any time. ^_^ I put you on the list, welcome!

Just beat the Former Chairman Evil King, finally getting into the flow of this game.  The random encounters is dragging me down a bit but I think I can deal with it.  I love the artwork in the game manual, it reminds me of school doodles i made as a kid, inspiring me to draw some more.  Thanks for putting this thread/challenge together CJ.  

Okay, updated your status. You're really speeding through this game. Of course, unlike the Level-5 games, this RPG isn't that big or complicated. And you're welcome! I was inspired by SuperBuu's threads and the "Fight to the End!" threads but damon8rYaoiGod(oops, wrong forum member, sorry!) and thought that I could do some on the PS2 imports you buy for the PS4, and I have loved these games when they were on PS2. I had played them and loved them. But I will try to get back to trophy hunting, don't you worry!

EDIT: I'll try to get back into the game in a day or two. Since this is part of my Summer Backlog, I need to figure out how to divide my time between games. Also, the dang low-pressure systems that came with the recent rainstorms has muted my motivation to game and I'm back on gym exercise at least every Monday so tomorrow I might be too tired to game, since I have to buy my groceries that day as well, shifting from Wednesday due to dad wanting to take his RV out each week and spend a few hours in the woods now that he's semi-retired. So I might not get back home until noon.

Edited by DetectiveCJ
  • Like 1

Beat the Big Bull Evil King, I guess I am going pretty quickly.  I bet I'm missing a bunch of stuff though.  I'm also a ghost dodging machine.  I went up about 10 levels in the last dungeon so i think my dodging is keeping me under leveled but moving quickly through the game.  At any rate, I'll keep going and maybe do side quest on a second play-through.

• Like 1

I got past the first few chapters and defeat the Sewer Evil King.  Really enjoying the game, great sense of humor. 

Beat the Big Bull Evil King, I guess I am going pretty quickly.  I bet I'm missing a bunch of stuff though.  I'm also a ghost dodging machine.  I went up about 10 levels in the last dungeon so i think my dodging is keeping me under leveled but moving quickly through the game.  At any rate, I'll keep going and maybe do side quest on a second play-through.

Okay, updating you both. And angelgrievous, don't worry about moving fast - play how you want to play. ^_^

I need to get back on the game myself, I'm a bit of a slacker. xD

Finally made it to the second checkpoint and Defeated the Bubble Evil King.

Alright I am moving along quickly now, I have Defeated the Former Chairman Evil King and Defeated the Raging Bull Evil King.  I had the day off from work so I had time to play more. Also finally catching up to angelgrievous. 

Okay, updated you. Great job! :lol: