Batman: Arkham VR announced

At Sony's E3 conference, it was announced that Rocksteady was making another Batman: Arkham game - a VR title this time. "Be the Batman" has never been more appropriate.

Even though the teaser trailer reveals very little, apparently they're far enough in development that the game should be ready this October, when the VR headset itself is being released.

It's said to be a shorter ("focused") experience than the 'main' trilogy, the developer is calling it a "murder mystery", where you piece together clues like the crime scenes from the other games.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/06/13/introducing-batman-arkham-vr-be-the-batman/

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 1

wasn't gunna get a vr but now......... :jaymon: :jaymon: :dance: :dance: :dance:

I was on team "maybe" before today. This title, as well as Star Wars Battlefront being VR and making you fly an X-Wing are the two main reasons I must have it now.

http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/38375-new-star-wars-battlefront-title-goes-vr-with-an-x-wing-mission/

I was tired, so I might have misheard this, but I thought the Rocksteady dev said during the aftershow that Batman VR was only about 60mins long, albeit requiring or desiring several play-throughs to see the whole story.   Not sure what that might mean to some, and for pricing too, but worth mentioning in case some think this is a full fledged game...

I highly doubt this is going to be a full game. At most, it'll be some combat and stealth missions thrown together. Arkham Knight is the final Arkham game. The fact that this is ready for October tells me that they threw it together sometime during Arkham Knight's development.

My guess is Sony announced their VR and paid of bunch of devs to throw some stuff together to lure in the more casual fans. "Hey Rocksteady, can you give us some Batman stuff for VR?" "Oh hey Dice, can we get an X-Wing flying sim thing for VR?" "Hey Square, how about you make a couple 'exclusive' VR missions in FF15".

Don't expect a full Arkham game on VR.

• Like 3

I highly doubt this is going to be a full game. At most, it'll be some combat and stealth missions thrown together. Arkham Knight is the final Arkham game. The fact that this is ready for October tells me that they threw it together sometime during Arkham Knight's development.

My guess is Sony announced their VR and paid of bunch of devs to throw some stuff together to lure in the more casual fans. "Hey Rocksteady, can you give us some Batman stuff for VR?" "Oh hey Dice, can we get an X-Wing flying sim thing for VR?" "Hey Square, how about you make a couple 'exclusive' VR missions in FF15".

Just like the PS move and xbox kinect. "shitty" and short games to be on the release.

I was tired, so I might have misheard this, but I thought the Rocksteady dev said during the aftershow that Batman VR was only about 60mins long, albeit requiring or desiring several play-throughs to see the whole story.   Not sure what that might mean to some, and for pricing too, but worth mentioning in case some think this is a full fledged game...

Thanks to being in a different time zone, I did not hear the interview yet, I just got the trailer recaps.

Here's the interview:

Yes it's definitely a shorter experience. It's said to be a "murder mystery", so like the crime scenes in the other games. They call it "more focused" themselves. Honestly I'd rather have a short awesome Batman VR experience than a long shitty one.

It is exactly like Pred said. This happens whenever a new Tech comes out. There will be a couple of 1st party games, some developers will get paid to implement some stuff into their games and then Ubisoft will flood the market with a bunch of bullshit.

The releases will be "strong" at the beginning but after 6 months to a year it will slow and slow and slow because it is really expensive to develop anything meaningful for a peripheral that not many people own.

I know everyone is really excited about VR but what Peripheral released in the last decade and a half has actually had any staying power? Even the Wii Motion Controls basically went away as Nintendo utilized it less and less in their games and 3rd party support fell off the cliff (except for the Ubisoft games I mentioned earlier).

It is exactly like Pred said. This happens whenever a new Tech comes out. There will be a couple of 1st party games, some developers will get paid to implement some stuff into their games and then Ubisoft will flood the market with a bunch of bullshit.

The releases will be "strong" at the beginning but after 6 months to a year it will slow and slow and slow because it is really expensive to develop anything meaningful for a peripheral that not many people own.

I know everyone is really excited about VR but what Peripheral released in the last decade and a half has actually had any staying power? Even the Wii Motion Controls basically went away as Nintendo utilized it less and less in their games and 3rd party support fell off the cliff (except for the Ubisoft games I mentioned earlier).

Donkey Kong 64 and Zelda: Majora's Mask, two very high profile games, were made only playable to people who had the Expansion Pack peripheral for the N64, and were very succesful even with by far not all N64 owners having the pack.

There are already games out which will support VR. Driveclub, The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter... A bunch of AAA titles have already been announced, like Ace Combat and Ark.

Most racing games, flight simulation, FPS and walking fiction should easily be converted to VR headgears.

Donkey Kong 64 and Zelda: Majora's Mask, two very high profile games, were made only playable to people who had the Expansion Pack peripheral for the N64, and were very succesful even with by far not all N64 owners having the pack.

There are already games out which will support VR. Driveclub, The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter... A bunch of AAA titles have already been announced, like Ace Combat and Ark.

Most racing games, flight simulation, FPS and walking fiction should easily be converted to VR headgears.

But that is just 2 games you names (1 of which came bundled with the Expansion Pack).

Also when the Move came out there were tons of games that used it out the Gate (RE5, Heavy Rain, etc) but it wasn't long before support was swallowed up.

Kinect had a bunch of AAA games as well. Things like Madden or Mass Effect...but did you know anyone that actually played either of those games using Kinect?

What about Killzone 3, Socom, Resistance 3, Ninja Gaiden 3, Bioshock Infinite and Move Support? I mean those of us that owned a Move may have tried them out but went back to a controller very quickly.

What about the Playstation display? 3D Gaming? Heck even the 3DS they realized was stupid and have all but removed 3D support.

There will be some games that use VR but by Christmas 2017 I guarantee you can find my Post and be like "Mayus was right...VR is dead already)

But that is just 2 games you names (1 of which came bundled with the Expansion Pack).

Also when the Move came out there were tons of games that used it out the Gate (RE5, Heavy Rain, etc) but it wasn't long before support was swallowed up.

Kinect had a bunch of AAA games as well. Things like Madden or Mass Effect...but did you know anyone that actually played either of those games using Kinect?

What about Killzone 3, Socom, Resistance 3, Ninja Gaiden 3, Bioshock Infinite and Move Support? I mean those of us that owned a Move may have tried them out but went back to a controller very quickly.

What about the Playstation display? 3D Gaming? Heck even the 3DS they realized was stupid and have all but removed 3D support.

There will be some games that use VR but by Christmas 2017 I guarantee you can find my Post and be like "Mayus was right...VR is dead already)

I was just naming examples. Perfect Dark worked exclusive with the expansion pack as well, and many more games had extra features for the pack (like now there's going to be games that can work with and without VR).

Move was a stupid Wii clone when even the Wii was barely any fun, I wouldn't compare VR headsets to them. VR using the move is the main reason why I would have doubts getting it. VR is a graphical improvement, Move and Kinect are alternative control styles. Going first person in VR would improve a game much more than waving your hands at your tv instead of pushing buttons.

I still think 3D is awesome and it's a shame it's dying down in gaming.

I'll accept that challenge, let's see a year and a half from now how VR goes. DO you only care about AAA support or is a steady stream of smaller games enough for you? Because I would be amazed by many small games like Batman VR, Vanishing Of Ethan Carter etc etc.

I've seen plenty of 'footage' but I've not yet tried any of the vr hardware.   Some of it looks interesting and absolutely that support for new hardware is always somewhat experimental, tentative and tutoring, among other things, however I'm still not convinced of it's non-gimmicky, forthcoming staple of the industry disposition.  

There's an awful lot of talk about it being the next step in gaming...is it really?   The hardware has a sizeable price tag, understandably perhaps, and no doubt it'll have initial and ongoing support for a time, but do I/we really want to go back to waving move controllers around?   How good is move/DScontroller implementation going to be, and how co-ordinated with the visual space?   How practical will it be for longer gaming sessions?   How long before it's another accessory gathering dust?   

Resi 7 looked good, and I can easily see the allure of vr, soaking up the atmosphere, jump scares, a few laughs (at the jump scares), but I'm not so sure the novelty wouldn't wear off and I'd want to go back to regular, comfortable gaming.   As much as I'm intrigued by a lot of it's titles, Batman included, I'm not yet sold on it.

Yeah, I haven't experienced any vr hardware, I know, but Wii/move was a nice idea however it fell foul of niche titles and, well, personal moods.   3D was pretty sweet, I liked it, but I didn't last long before I was wanting the glasses off and comfort restored...vr is kind of an amalgamation of the two, loosely of course, but still, I can see similar issues.

Perhaps short(er) games with enriched experiences is where vr is at, like Batman (maybe not quite that short), whereby a comfort and practicality factor is maintained, but that might lead to questions of value, over both hardware and games for us, and naturally profit margins for the backers...thing is, I really can't see myself playing marathon sessions of a 200hr rpg with a front bumper strapped to my head, no matter how cute the novelty is.   

Edited by RedMustang72

I was just naming examples. Perfect Dark worked exclusive with the expansion pack as well, and many more games had extra features for the pack (like now there's going to be games that can work with and without VR).

Move was a stupid Wii clone when even the Wii was barely any fun, I wouldn't compare VR headsets to them. VR using the move is the main reason why I would have doubts getting it. VR is a graphical improvement, Move and Kinect are alternative control styles. Going first person in VR would improve a game much more than waving your hands at your tv instead of pushing buttons.

I still think 3D is awesome and it's a shame it's dying down in gaming.

I'll accept that challenge, let's see a year and a half from now how VR goes. DO you only care about AAA support or is a steady stream of smaller games enough for you? Because I would be amazed by many small games like Batman VR, Vanishing Of Ethan Carter etc etc.

I am just saying. As someone who used to work for playstation and got to hear the president of Playstation Canada say about the 3D Display "guys, our main focus is Uncharted but put the US wants us to try and push this so use it in your demos" I have real doubts about the chances of VR in gaming.

VR is going to have to move some serious numbers to encourage developers to make games for it on their own. I mean even Sony gave up on the Vita after 2 years and that was their own system.