Mirror's Edge v. Catalyst

I won't lie, I have considered training and learning. But if I'm scared to even vault over my couch's arm, then I'll be short lived as an actual Runner. I can dream though.

Don't worry being scared is part of the thrill. Once overcome, you'd feel the exhilaration kicking in and feel free.

Also, I'm pretty sure if you're really committed you can get it done! There are many academies/ schools that train you indoors through an obstacle course. Idk if you have watched the game theorists on YouTube, but he did a video titled " can you become a runner IRL?" It's soo cool but it's kinda long about 27 mins. Idk in the end it's up to you though :)

Yeah I watched him. And another video along the same lines, I forgot who's it by. I think there's a parkour academy not too far from Nashville. But n way I'd be as graceful as Faith. X3

First, oh sweet you live in Nashville? I live in Toronto, Canada, so I'm a Canadian "eh" ( we don't actually say it as much as people think we do :P).

Secondly, if course youre not going to be like faith. Some of the moves she does are near impossible because it's a video game! Also, you've got to start somewhere, and then you can incrementally build yourself up there! This is why people feel less motivated when starting a new program as they feel intimidated by the bigger guys. No excuses! :P

I'm not even close to signing up. I have some ongoing health issues that would prevent me, anyway. :( BUT!!! There's always the game to help achieve my dreams!!

Sidenote: it feels weird going from Catalyst back to the first game.

Ohh that stinks. Hope you can cope with these health issues, and it won't pose as a barrier to what you want to do in life. Also, I've heard of how different Catalyst is so yeah I understand what you mean.

I remember playing GTA San Andreas, and I loved it so much. Then I went to gta5, went back to San Andreas, it didn't feel the same and it was unplayable. It aged badly but to me Mirror's Edge still looks and feels fresh. But, maybe it's just because I haven't played Catalyst or haven't experienced current gen yet.

Edited by poopooblast

It's not all that different, honestly. You're just MUCH faster in Catalyst, and you get different moves to help you maintain your speed, button mapping is a little different, the visuals have upgraded. But other than that, it's feels like the same game. 

It's not all that different, honestly. You're just MUCH faster in Catalyst, and you get different moves to help you maintain your speed, button mapping is a little different, the visuals have upgraded. But other than that, it's feels like the same game.

Oh OK sweet, that's good to know. Besides I'll always love the first ME since it was the game that acted as a "catalyst" (sorry I had to :P) to this awesome franchise

The few new moves they added take a while to get used to, and then going back to 1 and trying to do them and can't can get frustrating. X3 Like you can double wall run if the walls are really close together. You have a magrope grappling hook thing. You can know springboard on ANYTHING you want, just hold the L1 button.

The few new moves they added take a while to get used to, and then going back to 1 and trying to do them and can't can get frustrating. X3 Like you can double wall run if the walls are really close together. You have a magrope grappling hook thing. You can know springboard on ANYTHING you want, just hold the L1 button.

That's sooo cool. You're making me jealous X3. Lol just joking.

Hm-m. My friend Leo didn't like Catalyst. He said the graphics are "too smooth" and "the climbing is tedious and repetitive". Like dude...it's a parkour game. What did you expect? No offense. And he also said the combat was too loose. Then again, he hasn't played the first ME so he has no idea of the improvements over all. 

Hm-m. My friend Leo didn't like Catalyst. He said the graphics are "too smooth" and "the climbing is tedious and repetitive". Like dude...it's a parkour game. What did you expect? No offense. And he also said the combat was too loose. Then again, he hasn't played the first ME so he has no idea of the improvements over all.

LOL, I can only imagine his look while playing the first game with it's combat. But seriously though you're supposed to avoid combat altogether. Also ME's smooth colour palette and it's unique take on dystopia is what makes it unique and stylish. Lastly, I remember reviewers saying you hardly encounter people so free roaming felt lifeless. I literally facepalmed soooo hard because

1) you're running on rooftops so no #$ Sherlock you're not going to see people often!

2) Runners as explained in the first game by merc may he rest in peace :(, that they don't exist to the world. They work secretly delivering packages if the job pays well and gets them closer to taking down the oppressive regime.

Edited by poopooblast

Hm-m. I agree. The roofs are scattered with "lifeless" NPCs just standing there, I guess. :/ They honestly don't even do much. And their models are the same depending on where you go. And people also say that all the side quests are just "races" from one place to another, but....but it's a GAME ABOUT RUNNING!! And believe it or not, there ARE quite a few stealth missions in Catalyst. 

Hm-m. I agree. The roofs are scattered with "lifeless" NPCs just standing there, I guess. :/ They honestly don't even do much. And their models are the same depending on where you go. And people also say that all the side quests are just "races" from one place to another, but....but it's a GAME ABOUT RUNNING!! And believe it or not, there ARE quite a few stealth missions in Catalyst.

I mean I maybe a lot biased since I tend to overlook all of its flaws and I think it's perfect in my eyes. Also, stealth? Oh sweet.

Yeah.  I didn't think it was AS BAD as some critics said. They also said the story was too predictable, but i was genuinely surprised at everything.

Rule #1) never listen to critics opinion as a fact. They may have some valid points but it doesn't mean their review is correct persay. It's an opinion after all.

2) you're your own reviewer. Just watch some videos or gameplay, or look up the game mechanics and if it interests you then great. There are also many forums about people expressing their opinion about a game so you can also get a general idea.

For example, I bought Mirror's Edge knowing it received mediocre reviews however everything about the game interested me and I picked it up at the bargain bin for $9.99 CAD at EB games( GameStop basically in Canada) and damn it was sooo good :D

I think I got into ME because I saw the Catalyst E3 reveal trailer thingy, then was like, 0_0 "I hate first person games, but I'll try this one!!! So pretty!!" Then I got it for, like, 12 bucks. 

But yeah. I loved every second of it. Even if the story was running around Glass for 20 hours, I would love it. <3

I think I got into ME because I saw the Catalyst E3 reveal trailer thingy, then was like, 0_0 "I hate first person games, but I'll try this one!!! So pretty!!" Then I got it for, like, 12 bucks. 

But yeah. I loved every second of it. Even if the story was running around Glass for 20 hours, I would love it. <3

Right? Just the art style and the over the top bloom effects makes it surreal. I love the white with the occasional splashes of orange, blue, green,yellow, and of course the red. So beautiful. To add on the amazing soundtrack. Ugh no game ever came close to match that ost IMO. Gosh my favourite level has to be the atrium where you're climbing the huge scaffoldings to get the sniper and save Kate. The moment you enter the room you face the huge room with possibly the best ambient soundtrack, and you're wondering how the heck am I supposed to climb this thing. Seriously I would just sometime stay in place and admire my surroundings for a little so I won't die and interrupt the mood and the music :D.

My favorite was The Shard. But yeah. I'd just play to run around and goof off.

Shard is awesome too. I just beat the story again yesterday for like probably the 7th time lol. Every time I would try different routes and I tend to surprise myself to what I can do or where I can go. Sometimes it's very linear though but it's still awesome. Anyways what are you working on now? You want to have DA:I as your next plat or Mirror's Edge as your 1000th plat? :o

OK I just checked and you have 10 trophies left for ME meaning you have to get 16 more other trophies and the rest of the 10 in ME to make the ME platinum your 1000th trophy that's if you're going for it.