Days Gone: PS4 exclusive revealed at E3

KratosTheMighty

They're not 'zombies' though, they're alive, albeit infected, that said, there's usually little moral conflict killing just about any enemies in gaming, unless it's a directed dilemma or reveal, SotC for example.   Can't ever recall being morally compromised gunning down humans, soldiers, animals, aliens, robots or whatever type of sentience in most any games, save a scant few exceptions, and as I said, there's usually a directed point made of those situations.

Long running franchises is a fair point I suppose, but still, are Resi, TWD, DI, DR etc... immune just because they were around earlier?, because really Days Gone looks a better game than quite a lot of the entries in all those franchises...   I do take the point on board though.

I preferred TWAU to TWD, but that had nothing to do with zombies and was simply because I thought it was a great game, just edging TWD1, and I actually preferred TftB best of all, it was hilariously fantastic!   I've no problem people being tired of zombies, it's the same as those sick of military FPSs, pixelated platformers and yet another AC game, but you'd think if that was the case people would be tired of it regardless of its name brand, expected or not.   Just thought it was a bit harsh to slap a new IP with that tired tag when Bend look like they've put a lot of effort into making what looks like a very good game.

In all likelihood TWD sells and garners sequels, not just for the quality of the games, but for the recognition and popularity of the TV show, as well as the comics.   Would be great to get TWAU and Tales sequels though.   :)

That's what I meant actually. TLOU's use of "infected" makes them able to use zombies without actually using zombies. Not all types of zombie have to die, those in Zombieland and 28 Days Later were also "infected".

I'm less talking about moral conflict of the gamer and more about society - less people will moan about a shooter if you're killing zombies instead of anyone who happens to walk past you on the street.

Longrunners are probably immune, since a new TWD season is not "another zombie game" but a franchise with established fanbase getting another sequel. It's not fair, but it's how it works. I completely agree with you that from what we've seen from Days Gone, it has the potential to be an awesome game. I'm guilty of enjoying each "yet another AC game" - part of the reason I pre-ordered the Limited Edition of No Man's Sky is because I fork over €100 every year to Ubisoft's collector's edition of the next AC, I figured if I could sponsor Ubi like that, then a small developer should get the same deal if I really want to play their game. Same goes for Horizon Zero Dawn (CE) even if that's already a bigger developer (not as big as Ubi though).

Yeah TWD sells because of the show and comics (mostly the show probably, even though the comics are much better), but then shouldn't Game Of Thrones get even more sales? I agree with you on Wolf being the better game, and not because the lack of zombies. I'd probably put Borderlands right after Wolf, I also enjoyed that very much because it was just crazy fun in contrast to all the drama Telltale puts in the other games.

That's what I meant actually. TLOU's use of "infected" makes them able to use zombies without actually using zombies. Not all types of zombie have to die, those in Zombieland and 28 Days Later were also "infected".

I'm less talking about moral conflict of the gamer and more about society - less people will moan about a shooter if you're killing zombies instead of anyone who happens to walk past you on the street.

Longrunners are probably immune, since a new TWD season is not "another zombie game" but a franchise with established fanbase getting another sequel. It's not fair, but it's how it works. I completely agree with you that from what we've seen from Days Gone, it has the potential to be an awesome game. I'm guilty of enjoying each "yet another AC game" - part of the reason I pre-ordered the Limited Edition of No Man's Sky is because I fork over €100 every year to Ubisoft's collector's edition of the next AC, I figured if I could sponsor Ubi like that, then a small developer should get the same deal if I really want to play their game. Same goes for Horizon Zero Dawn (CE) even if that's already a bigger developer (not as big as Ubi though).

Yeah TWD sells because of the show and comics (mostly the show probably, even though the comics are much better), but then shouldn't Game Of Thrones get even more sales? I agree with you on Wolf being the better game, and not because the lack of zombies. I'd probably put Borderlands right after Wolf, I also enjoyed that very much because it was just crazy fun in contrast to all the drama Telltale puts in the other games.

The gamer is part of that society though, but I guess I know what you mean.  It really doesn't happen all that often that's there's outrage or media attention highlighting gaming morality, at least not by scale.  I remember Hatred taking flak, but although I like my iso shooters and thought it looked decent, I understood why the nature of that game was a concern.   Dead Space babies...nonsense tbh, GTA, Carmageddon back in the day...thing is, most of the moral outrage comes in fits and starts from people or groups with an agenda that overrides anything gaming ever does, rather it's used as an inlet to poke at social values, political power moves etc...   Point is, no-one really cares that we kill human/animal pixels on a TV screen/monitor...it's all a fiction and the general populace knows that.

Funny, I thought you might mention GoT, unfortunately I haven't played it yet, bought the TT Collection ages ago for both that and TftB, just haven't got around to it yet.   I don't know, I don't know how it relates to the show, I quite deliberately know next to nothing about it, so I can only speculate, but it might just be as simple as TWD is a far easier game to write, given the expanse of the universe, the games need not worry about impacting other TWD media, whereas Thrones is a more complex show that the games may (or may not) need to account for, given it's contained environment.  Maybe when I get around to playing it I'll be better equipped to answer that...

I'm still not convinced with the immunity status of franchises though, to me if you're sick of the sight of zombies, you're sick of them regardless, but I do understand the point from a new IP perspective, in that some would rather have something different than another 'zombie' game, but really, that can be said of most genres.   I appreciate a well made game, Days Gone very much looks like it'll be just that, but to immediately tag it as tired based on it's genre...

AC, I stopped playing at 2, but I have Brotherhood, Revelations, 3, 4, Liberation (?) and probably something else, they were churning these out so fast at one point I couldn't keep up!   Contrary to the immunity perception, I'm more inclined to accept a franchise becoming tired as opposed to an entire genre.   :)

Edited by RedMustang72

• 1 month later...

The gamer is part of that society though, but I guess I know what you mean.  It really doesn't happen all that often that's there's outrage or media attention highlighting gaming morality, at least not by scale.  I remember Hatred taking flak, but although I like my iso shooters and thought it looked decent, I understood why the nature of that game was a concern.   Dead Space babies...nonsense tbh, GTA, Carmageddon back in the day...thing is, most of the moral outrage comes in fits and starts from people or groups with an agenda that overrides anything gaming ever does, rather it's used as an inlet to poke at social values, political power moves etc...   Point is, no-one really cares that we kill human/animal pixels on a TV screen/monitor...it's all a fiction and the general populace knows that.

Funny, I thought you might mention GoT, unfortunately I haven't played it yet, bought the TT Collection ages ago for both that and TftB, just haven't got around to it yet.   I don't know, I don't know how it relates to the show, I quite deliberately know next to nothing about it, so I can only speculate, but it might just be as simple as TWD is a far easier game to write, given the expanse of the universe, the games need not worry about impacting other TWD media, whereas Thrones is a more complex show that the games may (or may not) need to account for, given it's contained environment.  Maybe when I get around to playing it I'll be better equipped to answer that...

I'm still not convinced with the immunity status of franchises though, to me if you're sick of the sight of zombies, you're sick of them regardless, but I do understand the point from a new IP perspective, in that some would rather have something different than another 'zombie' game, but really, that can be said of most genres.   I appreciate a well made game, Days Gone very much looks like it'll be just that, but to immediately tag it as tired based on it's genre...

AC, I stopped playing at 2, but I have Brotherhood, Revelations, 3, 4, Liberation (?) and probably something else, they were churning these out so fast at one point I couldn't keep up!   Contrary to the immunity perception, I'm more inclined to accept a franchise becoming tired as opposed to an entire genre.   :)

Damn, I wanted to reply on this earlier... Stupid real life, getting in the way of my slacking off like this. First I had no time, then I forgot. Anyway...

Yes gamers are a part of society, I was talking more about the "concerned parent" portion of society, the ones who thought Mass Effect was a sex simulator. We seem to be on the same page however - naturally, since we're both gamers and know how "non-informeds" can act completely out of proportion.

Just like with Telltale's TWD, their Game Of Thrones game is a new story in a familiar setting. There's much more characters you will know from the books/series than there was in TWD though, because as you noted GoT is a bit more closed-off. I think the game works fairly well, depending on how far you are in the series/books there might be a few tough spoilers for you though.

You can be sick of zombies in general, but my point is among the lines: what is The Walking Dead going to do? Not have zombies any more? If there's a new Dead Rising game, you already know it will have zombies because that's what the series is about. For a new IP it's, as you say, "another" one. And yes, Days Gone looks like it's very well made. Personally I think that "zombie" is just a subgenre of horror/drama, I think it's a bit unreasonable that people are so sick of it while they don't do the same for other (sub)genres.

Many people were tired of AC but I always kept enjoying the series, I liked it that I had a yearly fix. For a long time, AC was just about the only thing I pre-ordered, it seems fitting that it's this AC-free year that I suddenly have a lot of other pre-orders running. Yes, I even enjoyed III. I just thought it was a bit underwhelming. I liked Unity as well, and my only complaint with Syndicate is that the more Ubisoft presents themselves as open-minded, the more close-minded they seem: a transgender character they pranced around with before the release and turned out to be a side character with very little to do in the game, and playing as twins - but the female twin, while having a better story, only gets two missions per sequence - one about her own story and one about cleaning up the mess her brother makes. I just hope that the next AC will be Evie in India.

If you enjoyed AC2 then you will most likely enjoy AC Brotherhood as well. I'd advise you to play Black Flag (AC4) as well. I always say it's not an AC game but rather the best Pirates Of The Caribbean game you'll ever play. Other than that, if you already feel like you've had enough of it then the rest of the titles will probably not persuade you to play more.

• Like 1

Remember though, they aren't zombies... they're infected. Still living but infected. They're called "Freakers" and depending on your age when infected you become a different variant. Children freakers are called newts. They look like an even more fucked up version of gollum. 

Eh. Its kinda the same thing with The Last of Us, you can call them infected all you want but in the end and they're not technically living dead but they act like zombies and are pretty much zombies.

Personally didn't care for The Last of Us but this one does look pretty good.

But kind of feel like there are enough Zombie games as it is.

Then again it might be partly because I would rather have more games with dragons and dinosaurs.

But this game does seem like one of the few zombie games I might like anyway.

The fantasy genre is arguably as saturated as the zombie ''genre'' for lack of better term.

Damn, I wanted to reply on this earlier... Stupid real life, getting in the way of my slacking off like this. First I had no time, then I forgot. Anyway...

Yes gamers are a part of society, I was talking more about the "concerned parent" portion of society, the ones who thought Mass Effect was a sex simulator. We seem to be on the same page however - naturally, since we're both gamers and know how "non-informeds" can act completely out of proportion.

Just like with Telltale's TWD, their Game Of Thrones game is a new story in a familiar setting. There's much more characters you will know from the books/series than there was in TWD though, because as you noted GoT is a bit more closed-off. I think the game works fairly well, depending on how far you are in the series/books there might be a few tough spoilers for you though.

You can be sick of zombies in general, but my point is among the lines: what is The Walking Dead going to do? Not have zombies any more? If there's a new Dead Rising game, you already know it will have zombies because that's what the series is about. For a new IP it's, as you say, "another" one. And yes, Days Gone looks like it's very well made. Personally I think that "zombie" is just a subgenre of horror/drama, I think it's a bit unreasonable that people are so sick of it while they don't do the same for other (sub)genres.

Many people were tired of AC but I always kept enjoying the series, I liked it that I had a yearly fix. For a long time, AC was just about the only thing I pre-ordered, it seems fitting that it's this AC-free year that I suddenly have a lot of other pre-orders running. Yes, I even enjoyed III. I just thought it was a bit underwhelming. I liked Unity as well, and my only complaint with Syndicate is that the more Ubisoft presents themselves as open-minded, the more close-minded they seem: a transgender character they pranced around with before the release and turned out to be a side character with very little to do in the game, and playing as twins - but the female twin, while having a better story, only gets two missions per sequence - one about her own story and one about cleaning up the mess her brother makes. I just hope that the next AC will be Evie in India.

If you enjoyed AC2 then you will most likely enjoy AC Brotherhood as well. I'd advise you to play Black Flag (AC4) as well. I always say it's not an AC game but rather the best Pirates Of The Caribbean game you'll ever play. Other than that, if you already feel like you've had enough of it then the rest of the titles will probably not persuade you to play more.

III is probably my overall favorite and Unity is my favorite one for mechanics. I was gutted when they downgraded the graphics for Syndicate, they made it work with Unity after the patches they just needed more time, but instead of doing that they just completely downgraded the hell out of it.

Will need to see more gameplay tbh.

Gameplay schmameplay. With games turning to cinematic performance more and more often, I find myself forgiving games having bland gameplay if the story and acting are awesome. The Last Of Us, Uncharted 1-3, South Park: The Stick Of Truth... TLOU and Uncharted 1-3 have bland gameplay (in my eyes) but are saved by the storytelling and visuals. As for South Park, I don't care about turn-based games at all, I just played it because it was South Park. Played through it three times now and will do another playthrough on PS4.

Days Gone, for me, will fall in the TLOU/Uncharted catagory. Seems like I'm going to have a blast just playing through this, taking in the story, even if the gameplay turns out to be bland (which for now, it looks like it won't be).

This all is, of course, my own opinion. I completely understand if people need compelling gameplay to play a game, I personally just think the gameplay can stand a bit of a hit if the game excels in other stuff.

Edited by BillyHorrible

• 6 months later...