Manga Discussion Thread

Myers

It doesn't matter how long it is if it's awesome. Only problem would be all the money spent on buying all of the manga and all of the space it would take up. :(

Agreed, although some people don't bother buying them and either download them or read them online.

It's not that I don't have a place to put all the books or even the money for the most part, I just don't seem to have the time to read very much when I'd really like to read more often.

Same here. I'm either working, playing a game or something else.

Same here. I'm either working, playing a game or something else.

Yeah I know, with school, homework, social things, or just too tired to read, I hardly have time to read. I need to set almost a plan like a set number of chapters per night. Ideally I'd love to be up to date on One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, and Gantz but that will never happen lol.

I hate all of this digital age shit. Gimme an actual book, CD or video game any day.

I wholeheartedly agree. I really don't like having to use a proxy just to check my Shonen Jump Aplha subscription, even if it is weekly now. Liked it much more when they sent me a 300-page monster for me to read lol.

I wholeheartedly agree. I really don't like having to use a proxy just to check my Shonen Jump Aplha subscription, even if it is weekly now. Liked it much more when they sent me a 300-page monster for me to read lol.

300 pages? That'd be fucking awesome.

Shonen Jump is all digital now? You don't have an option to get a physical copy? At least Gamestop asked if you wanted GameInformer in a mag or digital.

Shonen Jump is all digital now? You don't have an option to get a physical copy? At least Gamestop asked if you wanted GameInformer in a mag or digital.

All-digital and relaunched as Shonen Jump Alpha. You get weekly updates of a single chapter, and Naruto/Bleach/One Piece are only two weeks behind the Japanese serialization. Has it's pros, that's for sure, but I'd rather receive my magazine behemoths lol. Not to mention the service is only available for the US and Canada, so I got to use a proxy to access my magazines that expire 1 year after I bought 'em (yet another con).

300 pages? That'd be fucking awesome.

Was* Now I get it weekly with about 5~ different serialized Mangas, but there's only one chapter for each. I think I even got a 400-page magazine once throughout the 4-5 years I was subscribed.

All-digital and relaunched as Shonen Jump Alpha. You get weekly updates of a single chapter, and Naruto/Bleach/One Piece are only two weeks behind the Japanese serialization. Has it's pros, that's for sure, but I'd rather receive my magazine behemoths lol. Not to mention the service is only available for the US and Canada, so I got to use a proxy to access my magazines that expire 1 year after I bought 'em (yet another con).

Man that sucks. That happened not too long ago right? I remember seeing a few at work months ago, but then they stopped appearing... most likely because Alpha.

Was* Now I get it weekly with about 5~ different serialized Mangas, but there's only one chapter for each. I think I even got a 400-page magazine once throughout the 4-5 years I was subscribed.

So with the magazine you would get a month's worth of chapters?

So with the magazine you would get a month's worth of chapters?

Yes, around 4-6 chapters for Naruto, One Peace and Bleach and about 3 for other serializations.

Man that sucks. That happened not too long ago right? I remember seeing a few at work months ago, but then they stopped appearing... most likely because Alpha.

The last magazine they released was back in March.

All of the ones that I'm gonna show now are the cheap lot that I got from Savers recently. They were originally $2.99 each, but there was a special and they were all dropped to 49 cents! And there was a buy 4 get one free sale on top of that!

Naruto - volumes 5,6 and 10

Gantz007.jpg

Gantz008.jpg

Gantz009.jpg

Chobits - volumes 1-7

Gantz010.jpg

Gantz011.jpg

Gantz012.jpg

Gantz013.jpg

Gantz014.jpg

Gantz015.jpg

Gantz016.jpg

Cowboy Bebop - volume 2

Gantz017.jpg

X-Kai - volume 1

Gantz018.jpg

Rurouni Kenshin - volumes 8 and 9

Gantz020.jpg

Gantz021.jpg

Trigun Maximum - volume 1

Gantz019.jpg

And these are some more Gantz books that I got from Amazon.

Gantz - volumes 4-6

Gantz001.jpg

Gantz002.jpg

Gantz003.jpg

Gantz004.jpg

Gantz005.jpg

Gantz006.jpg

Now all I need is volume 8 of Chobits and that series is complete. :) A friend recommended a site called Justmanga.com if anyone is interested. It looks like a nice place to buy in bulk maybe. Oh and here is a pic of my entire collection atm.

Gantz022.jpg

Edited by Deth
  • Like 1

Try Psyren, 20th century boys, and tower of god. Some of my favourites!

I've read some Psyren (up to the point where they find the "safe house" with videotapes). Liked it quite a lot.

All of the ones that I'm gonna show now are the cheap lot that I got from Savers recently. They were originally $2.99 each, but there was a special and they were all dropped to 49 cents! And there was a buy 4 get one free sale on top of that!

Naruto - volumes 5,6 and 10

Gantz007.jpg

Gantz008.jpg

Gantz009.jpg

Chobits - volumes 1-7

Gantz010.jpg

Gantz011.jpg

Gantz012.jpg

Gantz013.jpg

Gantz014.jpg

Gantz015.jpg

Gantz016.jpg

Cowboy Bebop - volume 2

Gantz017.jpg

X-Kai - volume 1

Gantz018.jpg

Rurouni Kenshin - volumes 8 and 9

Gantz020.jpg

Gantz021.jpg

Trigun Maximum - volume 1

Gantz019.jpg

And these are some more Gantz books that I got from Amazon.

Gantz - volumes 4-6

Gantz001.jpg

Gantz002.jpg

Gantz003.jpg

Gantz004.jpg

Gantz005.jpg

Gantz006.jpg

Now all I need is volume 8 of Chobits and that series is complete. :) A friend recommended a site called Justmanga.com if anyone is interested. It looks like a nice place to buy in bulk maybe. Oh and here is a pic of my entire collection atm.

Gantz022.jpg

Good graces, way to go Deth! That's wise spending :P . You also got one of the best Naruto volumes of the first "arc", which is 5.

Regarding Chobits, I've never read it (nor watched it), but Clamp's work has always been top-notch to me. Carcaptor Sakura is one of my favorite animes and I've recently started watching Angelic Layer, which is entertaining as well. Do tell me what you think of Chobits.

Good graces, way to go Deth! That's wise spending :P . You also got one of the best Naruto volumes of the first "arc", which is 5.

Regarding Chobits, I've never read it (nor watched it), but Clamp's work has always been top-notch to me. Carcaptor Sakura is one of my favorite animes and I've recently started watching Angelic Layer, which is entertaining as well. Do tell me what you think of Chobits.

Ok, I'll read them first.

I read volume 1 of Chobits and it's pretty good. It's different than your average anime. I'll try not to give too much away. The story doesn't take place in the future, but there are these futuristic cyborgs called persocom that are kinda like Replicants from Blade Runner. They look exactly like humans, but they have different ears. They are computers in the form of a human that can surf the internet or do chores and stuff.

Story is about a Hideki Motosuwa. a 19 year old college kid that works at a bar called Club Pleasure. He is jealous of his managers persocom and finds one thrown in the trash while walking home. He brings her home and turns her on. She keeps repeating the word 'Chi' so Hideki names her Chi. He refers to a book he has on how to deal with her and plugs her into his TV to see her data but it says that she has no data. Hideki asks his friend Shimbo for help since he owns a laptop (A laptop in Chobits is like a smaller persocom and not an actual laptop.) and knows more about them. He hooks his laptop up to examine her and his laptop gets fried. Shimbo recommends that he sees some tech geek named Kokubunji for help. Kokubunjis 4 persocoms also fry while trying to read her and his special persocom Yuzuki almost fries as well.

Kokubunji believes that Chi is a Chobit, a rare and legendary variation of persocom that is top notch and custom built. Yuzumi reveals that her data is encrypted and that she still manages to function without an OS. Kokubunji tells Hideki that Chi is far superior than Yuzumi and can actually learn on her own. Chi manages to learn some stuff by reading and watching the news. Kokubunji later on calls Hideki and tells him to meet him somewhere because he has info on Chi that isn't safe to share on the phone. Kokubunji shows Hideki a picture he took from a site he found on Chobits of something very similar to Chi. It's a Chobit curled in a ball with spikes and a bunch of tubes hooked into her... kinda looked military.

Chobits has a lot of funny and perverted moments and some sad parts. It kinda reminds me of Blade Runner or Artificial Intelligence. It was interesting to read. It's like Sci-Fi meets comedy with some romantic themes.

Edited by Deth

I read volume 1 of Chobits and it's pretty good. It's different than your average anime. I'll try not to give too much away. The story doesn't take place in the future, but there are these futuristic cyborgs called persocom that are kinda like Replicants from Blade Runner. They look exactly like humans, but they have different ears. They are computers in the form of a human that can surf the internet or do chores and stuff.

Story is about a Hideki Motosuwa. a 19 year old college kid that works at a bar called Club Pleasure. He is jealous of his managers persocom and finds one thrown in the trash while walking home. He brings her home and turns her on. She keeps repeating the word 'Chi' so Hideki names her Chi. He refers to a book he has on how to deal with her and plugs her into his TV to see her data but it says that she has no data. Hideki asks his friend Shimbo for help since he owns a laptop (A laptop in Chobits is like a smaller persocom and not an actual laptop.) and knows more about them. He hooks his laptop up to examine her and his laptop gets fried. Shimbo recommends that he sees some tech geek named Kokubunji for help. Kokubunjis 4 persocoms also fry while trying to read her and his special persocom Yuzuki almost fries as well.

Kokubunji believes that Chi is a Chobit, a rare and legendary variation of persocom that is top notch and custom built. Yuzumi reveals that her data is encrypted and that she still manages to function without an OS. Kokubunji tells Hideki that Chi is far superior than Yuzumi and can actually learn on her own. Chi manages to learn some stuff by reading and watching the news. Kokubunji later on calls Hideki and tells him to meet him somewhere because he has info on Chi that isn't safe to share on the phone. Kokubunji shows Hideki a picture he took from a site he found on Chobits of something very similar to Chi. It's a Chobit curled in a ball with spikes and a bunch of tubes hooked into her... kinda looked military.

Chobits has a lot of funny and perverted moments and some sad parts. It kinda reminds me of Blade Runner or Artificial Intelligence. It was interesting to read. It's like Sci-Fi meets comedy with some romantic themes.

Definitely sounds like a Clamp manga. Will try to get 'em when possible.

I've never really been into manga but Rurouni Kenshin is one of my favorite Animes so I'd like to pick up a few volumes and read it. I'll check around and see what I can find for cheap.

Parker

Rurouni Kenshin manga > Rurouni Kenshin anime.

I'm a huge fan of Kenshin and I've read and watched whole series and OVA Trust and Betrayal saves anime's ass if I were to be asked.

Everyone says that no matter what series and it is almost always true -_-

True. Can't think of one that's an exception except Neon Genesis Evangelion (and that's because the Manga isn't finished and differs a lot with the anime). Even the Dragon Ball Z anime falls a little short to the original, no to mention that most Animes add some filler episodes which just make them fall even shorter.

Everyone says that no matter what series and it is almost always true -_-

Well everything depends on the filler content imo ... and in RK anime fillers are more than half of all the episodes and that is just barely standable ... tbh I was watching anime only cuz I hoped that fillers will finally end and it will come back to it's original plot, but it didn't QQ.