Platinum for SHU?

FOX-MIND

• 6 years later...

Final time shows as 11.38 hours on Exophase, which includes earning the two DLC trophies. Several levels are fairly tricky to beat without dying, so a lot of my playtime likely went into practicing them. Also had trouble finding a couple of elusive babbies. Sans DLC, it would probably be around 8-9 hours to complete.

Speaking as a platforming veteran, I'd award it a 6.5/10 for difficulty. Most worlds aren't outlandishly tough to finish deathless, while the majority of collectibles are reasonable to locate, even without the one video guide that exists. I rarely needed more than 3-4 runs of a level to complete it 100%. However, "The Ancient Tower" brings together everything you've learned throughout the game into a serious challenge, demanding around six minutes of perfect play to beat Goo Shu's time. That one took a fair bit of practice! In case it's helpful to anyone, I recorded my successful run, which can be watched here.

Additionally, I found those air pipes controlled by the elderly villager to be the game's most frustratingly inconsistent mechanic, and when combined with a chase level, it irritated me badly enough to stop playing Shu for a week. By and large a good game, but the overreliance on frustrating chase levels with little margin for error definitely hurt my enjoyment.

Edited by StraightVege
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...

A bit late to this party, but I agree mostly with the above. The air pipes are infuriating, because sometimes, you see no air coming out of the pipe. The no-death runs are annoying because you really just have to memorize everything. I haven't done the tower yet, as I'm not there.

But it's a fun game, and for the $0.99 for which I got it, it's an absolute steal.

Yep I think it's quite a brilliant old indie platformer that probably like you I just stumbled upon from randomly buying it cuz it was cheap in a sale knowing nothing about it, played it and thought well bloody hell this game is actually surprisingly quite great!

I agree with the guy saying 6.5/10 difficulty, I'm nearly done just a few no death runs left, plat is def trickier than I expected, I'll get it but if it was easier I'd of got the platinum already. Quite shocked by the 20% plat achievers, seems disproportionate compared to other games ratings, cuz there is some genuinely tough parts here. Anyway its pretty good any platformer fan should give it a go 🙂

• Like 1