OUYA - now in development

Piggie_Pie

crazy looking console on the way... I saw another thread on this months ago but i couldn't find it so i started a new one because i found a new article...

http://www.complex.com/video-games/2012/11/ouya-system-now-in-development-phase

tumblr_mc9ydmwbkm1qaznjco1_1280.jpeg

I don't have many personal thoughts on it other than it looks like something from a Star Trek movie... It will be interesting to see what comes of this.

no physical copy = no sale from me ... unless i can sell my games somehow or get a refound if the game is bad

While I agree with you there, I think the target for most of these games is going to be a few bucks at most, right? So even if you do buy a shitty game you're only out say $2 rather than $60 (or whatever your crazy Canadian money is. :D )

I'm still not sold on this. The whole reason games are so popular on the iOS devices and Android phones is because people want to have something to so while they're waiting around on the bus, train, doctors office, dentist or whatever else. I can't see the appeal of a home console that has mobile games, when I could just pop in an actual big budget title. Interesting nonetheless.

Parker

I backed Ouya on Kickstarter. Ouya gives me access to the Android software library without an Android smartphone or tablet, which I don't plan to buy.

I'll probably use it as a media server more than a gaming console. I have a JB Apple TV2 and a yet to be JB AppleTV3, but I suspect the Ouya will leave both in the dust thanks to the out-of-the-box customisation.

I backed Ouya on Kickstarter. Ouya gives me access to the Android software library without an Android smartphone or tablet, which I don't plan to buy.

I'll probably use it as a media server more than a gaming console. I have a JB Apple TV2 and a yet to be JB AppleTV3, but I suspect the Ouya will leave both in the dust thanks to the out-of-the-box customisation.

I think some of my apps that I have on my phone would be great to display on the TV. Mainly like reading apps or something along those lines. But as a gaming console, I'm not interested at all. I have my android phone and iPod Touch to play mobile games. When I sit down I want to play a solid game.

I'm surprised it got 8million on kickstarter. How can so many people be willing to back something that sounds as weak as this?

Probably because its open source... anyone with a tool kit can create a game or app... so essentially its supported by everyone... Im only guessing because im not 100% sure on anything that i just said... Plus I have a feeling that this generation will be full of new consoles... Microsoft is creating a gaming tablet style xbox thingy (even though touch-screen only gaming isn't all that its cracked up to be... not just my opinion but reviews that ive read)... iPad mini sounds like they want it to venture into a lot more portable gaming...

bottom line is that i think that we will be seeing a lot of things coming and going... some will survive and some will sink... but gaming is getting a lot more popular and everyone wants in on it...

I for one am not interested in this until i see more about it... kinda like the Wii U (looks cool but will need to see it in action a little more before i go that rout again... i feel like a got duped after i purchased my Wii)

Edited by piggie_pie