Switch It Up! (event for Nintendo Switch gamers)

13 minutes ago, BillyHorrible said:

Completed the campaign of Specter Of Torment two days ago. Great campaign, whould not say that it as a whole is as excellent as Shovel Knight but the gameplay is certainly better, Specter Knight handles better and has sweeter moves than Shovel Knight.

Yup. I came back on here to say that I'm playing the main game (on PS4, found a disc copy for 25 bucks at EB, 7 and change less than digital) and it's fun and all but holy shit Specter Knight is the balls, this shovel dude sucks ass comparatively.

And I've finished all 150cc tracks in first on MK8D, I remember when 200 was added as an update to Wii U MK8 and I was so stoked, and yet, I've not touched it in like 2 years and not even given it a go on MK8D yet.

And when the hell is Shakedown Hawaii gonna come out? Last thing they said was "April 2017" for Switch first. It's May now dude. I'm dying for  them 16 bits of goodness.

5 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Yup. I came back on here to say that I'm playing the main game (on PS4, found a disc copy for 25 bucks at EB, 7 and change less than digital) and it's fun and all but holy shit Specter Knight is the balls, this shovel dude sucks ass comparatively.

Cool that you're playing it on PS4 now, shame that Shovel Knight is not yet available as standalone anywhere.

And I've finished all 150cc tracks in first on MK8D, I remember when 200 was added as an update to Wii U MK8 and I was so stoked, and yet, I've not touched it in like 2 years and not even given it a go on MK8D yet.

I did everything on 50cc first. I don't feel the need to prove anything, I felt like checking out all the tracks without feeling rushed. Started on 150cc afterwards, did a wee bit of 200cc before that but damn that cheating AI... Once I master 150cc, I'll check if I can build a kart that makes me not slide out of every curve.

Forgot to say this by the way but I already had my first 4 player couch multiplayer session, and the next one has been scheduled.

And when the hell is Shakedown Hawaii gonna come out? Last thing they said was "April 2017" for Switch first. It's May now dude. I'm dying for  them 16 bits of goodness.

I'm not interested in the game I think, I'm almost never into 8-bit fake retro games. If the price is low enough I might check a gameplay video to see if I care. Checking the Nintendo page now, seems to be GTA 1&2 without car driving and with the 'gain real estate' side quests from Assassin's Creed and The Godfather added?

The site says Q2 by the way, so either this or next month.

2 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Cool that you're playing it on PS4 now, shame that Shovel Knight is not yet available as standalone anywhere.

I did everything on 50cc first. I don't feel the need to prove anything, I felt like checking out all the tracks without feeling rushed. Started on 150cc afterwards, did a wee bit of 200cc before that but damn that cheating AI... Once I master 150cc, I'll check if I can build a kart that makes me not slide out of every curve.

Forgot to say this by the way but I already had my first 4 player couch multiplayer session, and the next one has been scheduled.

I'm not interested in the game I think, I'm almost never into 8-bit fake retro games. If the price is low enough I might check a gameplay video to see if I care. Checking the Nintendo page now, seems to be GTA 1&2 without car driving and with the 'gain real estate' side quests from Assassin's Creed and The Godfather added?

The site says Q2 by the way, so either this or next month.

Indeed, though, I'm glad I played Specter first in the end, with it being a prequel and IMO the better one in terms of gameplay. It's weird playing through Shovel Knight's main mode with such familiarity despite it being my first go though. Like, I already know most of the boss patterns and enemy styles and whatnot on my first attempt. 

To be fair, first of all, I've had Mario Kart 8 on Wii U for like 3 years so I've long since familiarized myself with the tracks and tricks (except the second batch of DLC tracks, I only had the first set through Club Nintendo in the day) and secondly, 150 is like the minimum for me, 100cc is barely playable and 50 is intolerably slow, it's like when I play on like medium or something on Guitar Hero and then remember expert or nah. 200 is a bit bonkers at times though, so I just stick with 150. Pretty well all the Wii U got used for in it's later years was 2 screen Call of Duty and Mario Kart. And Splatoon.

Nice. I only have the standard Joy Con that came with mine, no extra controllers as of yet. The Switch is my machine, the missus and I have played a fair bit of Mario Kart and Fast RMX in split screen, and I got her to play some Metal Slug the other day (she'd never touched the series before) but otherwise it's all mine, so, at the moment at least, shelling out a hundred bucks for a new remote is kind of silly.

I don't know too much about this one as I've tried to steer as clear as I can on any potential spoilers. I feel you on the phony 8 bit thing, but is it worth any points if I told you the guy put the first one out on DOS and NES, about as "genuine" as you can get. Anyway, with the first one, it's like if GTA 1 and 2 were made a generation or two earlier. Top down open world with driving and walking and shooting and talking and missions and ampersands and all that good stuff. Retro City Rampage is a genuine blast and I love the shit out of it. Shakedown looks to do the same stuff, but in a 16 bit world instead of the 8 bit one of it's predecessor and given how great the first one was I'm down. Fun fact, it actually started as a de-make of GTA III, which explains the "similarities" ... anyway, it's practically always on sale for a couple bucks on PSN and that gets you PS3, PS Vita, PS4 and even a PSP version of the game for a couple bucks. It's a blast if you enjoy the old GTA games and don't mind a cheesy as hell story and some kickass gameplay. I also have it on 3DS through a Humble Bundle thing (which got me a cool exclusive 3DS theme too, not bragging) and it plays identically there as you'd expect so you can really just pick it up on any old machine, including but not limited to DOS. I think the demo got taken down from the PSN store though, otherwise I'd say grab that and give it a crack, if I recall it's most of the whole game anyway just with no trophies or updates.

I know. I found that out before when I went to Google, before that though, it was April. Maybe I misread or forgot though, who knows.

50 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Nice. I only have the standard Joy Con that came with mine, no extra controllers as of yet. The Switch is my machine, the missus and I have played a fair bit of Mario Kart and Fast RMX in split screen, and I got her to play some Metal Slug the other day (she'd never touched the series before) but otherwise it's all mine, so, at the moment at least, shelling out a hundred bucks for a new remote is kind of silly.

Well I wanted two extra half controllers right away because I hadn't played four player couch multiplayer for far too long. Already did an evening of Snipperclips and now an afternoon of Kart, will gladly play a lot more of Kart with others and I can't wait for a new Mario Party. I played Mario Kart 64 for so damn many hours with others, and I'm willing to bet that Mario Kart 8 will become THE multiplayer game for me for years to come.

50 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I don't know too much about this one as I've tried to steer as clear as I can on any potential spoilers. I feel you on the phony 8 bit thing, but is it worth any points if I told you the guy put the first one out on DOS and NES, about as "genuine" as you can get. Anyway, with the first one, it's like if GTA 1 and 2 were made a generation or two earlier. Top down open world with driving and walking and shooting and talking and missions and ampersands and all that good stuff. Retro City Rampage is a genuine blast and I love the shit out of it. Shakedown looks to do the same stuff, but in a 16 bit world instead of the 8 bit one of it's predecessor and given how great the first one was I'm down. Fun fact, it actually started as a de-make of GTA III, which explains the "similarities" ... anyway, it's practically always on sale for a couple bucks on PSN and that gets you PS3, PS Vita, PS4 and even a PSP version of the game for a couple bucks. It's a blast if you enjoy the old GTA games and don't mind a cheesy as hell story and some kickass gameplay. I also have it on 3DS through a Humble Bundle thing (which got me a cool exclusive 3DS theme too, not bragging) and it plays identically there as you'd expect so you can really just pick it up on any old machine, including but not limited to DOS. I think the demo got taken down from the PSN store though, otherwise I'd say grab that and give it a crack, if I recall it's most of the whole game anyway just with no trophies or updates.

I know. I found that out before when I went to Google, before that though, it was April. Maybe I misread or forgot though, who knows.

Well the 16-bit of Shakedown at least looks a lot more appealing than the 8-bit of Rampage.

... Actually, just watched some gameplay and I could very well enjoy this game, I think.

Spoiler

It's a lot more than the old GTAs than I initially thought. I still think Retro City Rampage is too ugly to be bothered with, though.

Well, NBA Playgrounds is now officially the only NBA game I've ever (and will ever have) bought day one. 

"Switch has no games" ... bitch I've already got a backlog going, it's been a couple of months, AND I didn't bother with Zelda. Oh, and the Virtual Console still isn't a thing. Yeah, there's no games.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Well, NBA Playgrounds is now officially the only NBA game I've ever (and will ever have) bought day one. 

"Switch has no games" ... bitch I've already got a backlog going, it's been a couple of months, AND I didn't bother with Zelda. Oh, and the Virtual Console still isn't a thing. Yeah, there's no games.

Yeah I only have Blaster Master Zero not completely played through, I try to limit my backlog because there's at least six games on the eShop already I still want (Snake Pass, Wonder Boy, Over Top plus the Tomorrow Corporation games) and I don't want to be building a backlog just yet so I made myself promise to wait until I've finished a game before buying a new game.

With the summer holiday coming soon, I might just buy one or two titles beforehand though, so I don't only have Mario Kart to replay.

@angelgrievous @MosesRockefeller @Super-Fly Spider-Guy

Want to get a Mario Kart multiplayer session going soon? I have you all on my Switch already so just name the day and time.

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Yeah I only have Blaster Master Zero not completely played through, I try to limit my backlog because there's at least six games on the eShop already I still want (Snake Pass, Wonder Boy, Over Top plus the Tomorrow Corporation games) and I don't want to be building a backlog just yet so I made myself promise to wait until I've finished a game before buying a new game.

With the summer holiday coming soon, I might just buy one or two titles beforehand though, so I don't only have Mario Kart to replay.

Want to get a Mario Kart multiplayer session going soon? I have you all on my Switch already so just name the day and time.

Yeah, I'm ready.  I'm playing through the 50cc Grand Prix now as Amazon finally admitted they lost my original preorder and had to send me another.  I just got it Monday.  I played in an IGN tourney yesterday and did (billy)Horrible, but I'm getting better.  I'm down to play anytime.  Just make it a thing bud.

• Like 1

On 5/10/2017 at 6:17 PM, BillyHorrible said:

I still haven't finished Blaster Master. I've picked up Over Top but am yet to start it. I'm against creating another backlog, but I'm buying all these suckers with Nintendo vouchers that I got from surveys so 1. it's not *real* money and 2. I see that I have money in my Nintendo wallet and it's hard not to spend it. 

If you're ever gonna keep replaying a game, MK8 is a good one. It's just about the only thing that the Wii U was used for in the end. Splatoon got a shitload of use, but it got shoved to the side. CoD got a shit load of use, but eventually Ghosts got old and Blops 3 was already sitting there. Mario Kart we still kept coming back to, even in the days that led up to the Switch's launch. 

I'm down. The course I did last year had a couple of overlapping units with the diploma I'm doing this year, and basically I have the next 2 Mondays off because of this. At the time of posting, it's quarter past seven at night, on Thursday. I'm down to play whenever on the weekend / Monday. Probably gonna be out Sunday though as it's mother's day and as dumb as all that bullshit is, the missus likes that sort of crap and it's an excuse to go be a pig and eat a bunch of food for me.

10 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I still haven't finished Blaster Master. I've picked up Over Top but am yet to start it. I'm against creating another backlog, but I'm buying all these suckers with Nintendo vouchers that I got from surveys so 1. it's not *real* money and 2. I see that I have money in my Nintendo wallet and it's hard not to spend it. 

I know how bad my backlog got on X360 and I've been wary of buying too much at once ever since.

I haven't gotten through Blaster Master Zero yet either; I enjoyed Specter Of Torment more and I finished that one the day before Mario Kart arrived.

10 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

If you're ever gonna keep replaying a game, MK8 is a good one. It's just about the only thing that the Wii U was used for in the end. Splatoon got a shitload of use, but it got shoved to the side. CoD got a shit load of use, but eventually Ghosts got old and Blops 3 was already sitting there. Mario Kart we still kept coming back to, even in the days that led up to the Switch's launch. 

I really like Mairo Kart 8 but much of its replay value will be playing with others (mostly offline) for me. I've played through the game on 50cc right away, I will get through 150cc myself as well but after that it will mostly be the monthly couch co-op day with others.

Oh yeah, by the way, today on the train, while playing Mario Kart, I saw another dude on a Switch this morning. I was tempted to go over and ask him if he wanted to go a round in Mario Kart, but then I was unsure if you needed 2 carts or not so I figured I'd not risk being a moron for nothing.

Anyway, here's my update because why not

On my thing I've got

King of Fighters 98

Metal Slug 3 - done a few times now

Fast RMX - 100% campaign

Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment - game clocked, new game plus nearly clocked but then dumped for PS4 version

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - all GPs gold on 150cc

Blaster Master Zero - most of the way through

NBA Playgrounds - making my way through the tournament mode

Mr. Shifty - nearly done

Kamiko - just started, quite fun so far for 6.50

As for the 4 you're meant to beat for this, right now I'd put Fast RMX, Specter of Torment, Mario Kart, and Mr. Shifty or Blaster Master when they're done, as that way it's all just games that are (or at least started life as) a Nintendo exclusive.

1 hour ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Oh yeah, by the way, today on the train, while playing Mario Kart, I saw another dude on a Switch this morning. I was tempted to go over and ask him if he wanted to go a round in Mario Kart, but then I was unsure if you needed 2 carts or not so I figured I'd not risk being a moron for nothing.

wtCiLVpl.jpg

Anyway, here's my update because why not

On my thing I've got

King of Fighters 98

Metal Slug 3 - done a few times now

Fast RMX - 100% campaign

Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment - game clocked, new game plus nearly clocked but then dumped for PS4 version

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - all GPs gold on 150cc

Blaster Master Zero - most of the way through

NBA Playgrounds - making my way through the tournament mode

Mr. Shifty - nearly done

Kamiko - just started, quite fun so far for 6.50

As for the 4 you're meant to beat for this, right now I'd put Fast RMX, Specter of Torment, Mario Kart, and Mr. Shifty or Blaster Master when they're done, as that way it's all just games that are (or at least started life as) a Nintendo exclusive.

Yeah... That's at least four, there's no rule against playing more games (see my list, I've also got more titles already) and each game can be counted in the event.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2017 at 5:38 AM, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

To be fair, first of all, I've had Mario Kart 8 on Wii U for like 3 years so I've long since familiarized myself with the tracks and tricks (except the second batch of DLC tracks, I only had the first set through Club Nintendo in the day) and secondly, 150 is like the minimum for me, 100cc is barely playable and 50 is intolerably slow, it's like when I play on like medium or something on Guitar Hero and then remember expert or nah. 200 is a bit bonkers at times though, so I just stick with 150.

Alrighty then! I pretty much assumed that I'd be dead last in our upcoming MK match, but this confirms it. Here I am wishing for a 25cc mode to make me look like a competent racer! :P

After our match you're going to be saying this about me (it's about a team, but you get my point): 

Spoiler

684383.jpg?b64lines=IFRoZXkganVzdCBwbGFp

On 5/3/2017 at 5:38 AM, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

That reminds me, I need to go back to Retro City Rampage (I have both the original and the DX version that replaced it on PSN). I played for a few hours a while back but got sidetracked with other games. 

On 5/9/2017 at 6:59 AM, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

What do you think of NBA Playgrounds? Kotaku didn't like it (it was a blog post, not review) but I always take reviews/impressions with a grain of salt anyway. I'd love to have another NBA Jam type of game (which Kotaku explicitly says this is NOT). I like my sports games very arcadey and simple like that. I never play sports games but I make an exception for something fun like NBA Jam. I gave up on NBA Jam On Fire on PS3, because the load times are horrendous. If I could get a game like that on Switch, with near-instant load times? Hell yes. 

Man, even if my train is nicer than yours, your passengers are way cooler than mine. I've seen ONE guy playing a 3DS in almost a year of taking that train. 

Edited by MosesRockefeller

Games Played

1-2 Switch

Snipperclips

Legend of Zelda:BotW

Mario Kart 8 DE 

Loving my Switch. Nintendo have done it. They have made a top console which I enjoy to play in TV mode and handheld (preferring Handheld at the moment). 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Yeah... That's at least four, there's no rule against playing more games (see my list, I've also got more titles already) and each game can be counted in the event.

Yeah, but I win. Also I forgot Graceful Explosion Machine, that I should try to get back into. It's fun so far, but it's no Resogun.

10 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Alrighty then! I pretty much assumed that I'd be dead last in our upcoming MK match, but this confirms it. Here I am wishing for a 25cc mode to make me look like a competent racer! :P

After our match you're going to be saying this about me (it's about a team, but you get my point): 

Reveal hidden contents

684383.jpg?b64lines=IFRoZXkganVzdCBwbGFp

That reminds me, I need to go back to Retro City Rampage (I have both the original and the DX version that replaced it on PSN). I played for a few hours a while back but got sidetracked with other games. 

What do you think of NBA Playgrounds? Kotaku didn't like it (it was a blog post, not review) but I always take reviews/impressions with a grain of salt anyway. I'd love to have another NBA Jam type of game (which Kotaku explicitly says this is NOT). I like my sports games very arcadey and simple like that. I never play sports games but I make an exception for something fun like NBA Jam. I gave up on NBA Jam On Fire on PS3, because the load times are horrendous. If I could get a game like that on Switch, with near-instant load times? Hell yes. 

Man, even if my train is nicer than yours, your passengers are way cooler than mine. I've seen ONE guy playing a 3DS in almost a year of taking that train. 

To be fair, you'll get a lot better through repetition. Way back when I could barely handle medium on Guitar Hero, anything less than hard and I will actually fail from hitting buttons too fast and not being able to slow down. 

Also, can I just pay you like a dollar every day for you to send me a Simpsons reference? I love it.

Play it on PSP, it's as Retro as you can get...aside from the DOS version.

Okay. Here's the thing, I don't give a shit about NBA, or NBA games. Or really all sports and all sports games. I loved the old AFL games from around 2005 or so on PS2 and still bust out '04 every now and then, that's like it, outside of 5 minutes of FIFA once every two or three years. NBA Jam is a kickass arcade game and doesn't feel like a sports simulation game at all. Because it's not. Playgrounds is the same as NBA Jam in that respect. The big thing is how you play it though. For me, when I play NBA Jam I just grab the ball and run, I don't know how to do super cool jumps and shit, just like I can't do fatalities, I'm a pussy and a fool, but I have fun. NBA Playgrounds, to players like me, IS NBA Jam. You can get the ball, smash the other players, and run to the hoop. That's all I play this thing for, and if that's how you play then you should love it. You unlock players from little trading card pack things, and you get one of them (which contains a few players each time) each time you level up, or at least I have so far. You level up by winning games and doing shit, nice and basic. Supposedly there's hundreds of players and stuff, but again, I don't care about NBA so I'm just sticking with the default first 2. The game itself is 2v2 full on NBA Jam style to me and I love the shit out of it, I never gave NBA Jam on PS3 a go because, well, I didn't have a PS3 at the time, so I can't compare the two, but for me, with the way I play, I can compare it to NBA Jam and to me, it feels like it could have been called NBA Jam: 2017 Edition and it wouldn't be a lie. Two problems though, 1: For some reason, it's really hard to figure out the exact time to let go of the ball when making a shot, some times it will go in and other times when you hold it the same length it won't, the animations are confusing and not perfect enough to follow, but I have confidence this will be patched, and 2: The load times are horse shit. It takes like a solid 30 seconds at least to load a match, I'm sure it's more but I don't wanna say something I can't confirm, I'll count the load time when I play next at lunch, which is like half an hour or so, and get back to you.

You see 3DS people on the train a fair bit here. Most people are glued to their iPhones though, the odd tablet and laptop slip in, but it's mostly those. I've stumbled into 2 Switch owners on public transport thus far, which is 7 more than I thought I would.

11 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

NBA Jam on Switch, with near-instant load times? 

After picking my players and getting it all set up, 47 seconds to load into a 3 minute long OFFLINE match. I'm scared for how long it will take when online gets added to the Switch version.

4 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Yeah, but I win. Also I forgot Graceful Explosion Machine, that I should try to get back into. It's fun so far, but it's no Resogun.

Well, I've played through six Switch games by now yet you've only played through five so as far as "winning" goes, I think I'm ahead ;)

I guess you "win" in titles bought but I'm not quite ready to create a whole new backlog just yet.

@MosesRockefeller Pretty good odds that World Of Goo will be a title I buy for one of the holidays I'll be on soon, have you played it some more? I'm guessing that it's a good port, no problems?

2 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

Well, I've played through six Switch games by now yet you've only played through five so as far as "winning" goes, I think I'm ahead ;)

I guess you "win" in titles bought but I'm not quite ready to create a whole new backlog just yet.

Mario Kart I've clocked on 150, first in every GP, super duper gold stars and all that.

Specter of Torment is done, new game plus probably won't be any time soon though

Kamiko is done, but I'll be going back in with the other 2 characters just for fun.

Fast RMX's championship mode has been 100%'d and first place'd

Metal Slug 3 has been clocked a fair few times, including in 2 player

King of Fighters 98 has been clocked once.

6 v 6 as far as I can see, and I've got a couple more nearly done.

Mr Shifty is a few levels from being done, should be done by the end of the weekend.

NBA Playgrounds will be done soon, I'm mostly playing exhibition mode though, instead of tournament mode.

In addition, I don't know if Shovel Knight should count as 2 for you. I mean, Specter was at least a full standalone purchase for me, it's just a DLC pack for you in the complete set. 

...although also, Kamiko is short as shit, and 2 of mine are short little NEOGEO games so yeah.

I really need to finish Blaster Master some time soon aye.

Oh yeah, dudes. I saw another one today. I was on my way out of the building to McDonald's because I'm a fucking pig the train station to go home and I saw the familiar red glow of a Joy Con in the corner of my eye, lo and behold, in the room beside mine were 2 people playing Mario Kart 8. 2 days in a row now, that I've stumbled into a Switch in the wild. Random guy on the tram on the day of release who bought one and talked to me about mine, random guy on the train yesterday, and these dudes at my TAFE.

And brand recognition is a lot better this time around, than, say, the Wii U. Every time I bust it out on the train or take it to my course, at least one or two people will comment, and most will be asking about the new Zelda and shit. Hell, even my teacher the other day asked about it for her son and she actually knew what the fucker was called. That being said, I was playing MK8 walking into the thing yesterday and this girl from class comes up and asks how I am and shit and, being the antisocial stereotypical 20 year old I am, I kept playing while talking to her* and she's like "Is that one of them Wii U things?" and I had a little chuckle in my head. Fuck Nintendo messed the Wii U up.

*She's a lovely girl and it was the end of the race and she was watching, it wasn't genuinely like me ignoring her for the game, I'm not that much of an asshole.

33 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

snip

just-got-real.gif

Don't fret too much about my casual remarks, now ;)

About Shovel Knight: I'm counting them as separate games because they're separate campaigns; "Treasure Trove" is nothing more than a complete bundle of four separate campaigns. Going into the menu, it doesn't really look like "just DLC" either as Shovel, Plague and Specter all get as much space and even the intro screen changes depending on which campaign you played last.

Not that it matters since I'm at over four games anyway and you can't win anything here, just making clear why I'm counting the campaigns separately. I'll count Plague Knight and King Knight separately as well.

3 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

just-got-real.gif

Don't fret too much about my casual remarks, now ;)

About Shovel Knight: I'm counting them as separate games because they're separate campaigns; "Treasure Trove" is nothing more than a complete bundle of four separate campaigns. Going into the menu, it doesn't really look like "just DLC" either as Shovel, Plague and Specter all get as much space and even the intro screen changes depending on which campaign you played last.

Not that it matters since I'm at over four games anyway and you can't win anything here, just making clear why I'm counting the campaigns separately. I'll count Plague Knight and King Knight separately as well.

I know, I'm just being a prick and kidding anyways. TBH I couldn't put Specter down, and now that I have the whole thing on PS4, I still haven't finished up the main campaign. Sure I've been playing other shit, and school, and baby, and all that, but like, I enjoy Shovel of Hope just fine, but I think Specter is leagues above the main campaign myself.

11 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

To be fair, you'll get a lot better through repetition. Way back when I could barely handle medium on Guitar Hero, anything less than hard and I will actually fail from hitting buttons too fast and not being able to slow down. 

Also, can I just pay you like a dollar every day for you to send me a Simpsons reference? I love it.

Play it on PSP, it's as Retro as you can get...aside from the DOS version.

You see 3DS people on the train a fair bit here. Most people are glued to their iPhones though, the odd tablet and laptop slip in, but it's mostly those. I've stumbled into 2 Switch owners on public transport thus far, which is 7 more than I thought I would.

Well, that's assuming I stick with it long enough to git gud. I won't, that's the problem. I never tolerate racing games for very long. That won't stop me from having fun when we play though, especially if at least part of the match is Battle Mode, where racing skills are less essential. 

I don't always have perfect Simpsons references to use for every situation, but this one was just begging to be used. I'll try to keep them up. :) Also, on a side note, during our first few days back home from the hospital (baby #2 was born last Wednesday), my wife was bored and asked if we had any "new to us" Simpsons that we could watch. So we watched the first few episodes from Season 17 (the last one you can buy on disc), which I had seen before but my wife might not have. In any case it was many years since I watched them. They're no S4 or S5, but I'll be damned if I didn't have a great time watching them, especially the season opener with Alec Baldwin as the dude obsessed with manatees. I might actually buy digital copies of the later seasons now. 

I have Retro City Rampage on Vita so I'll stick with that to have the ability to take silly screenshots, etc. Good suggestion though. :P

On my commute I only see people glued to their phones and tablets, and a lot of nappers. And there's a few obnoxious people who talk, but they're few and far between. 

10 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

After picking my players and getting it all set up, 47 seconds to load into a 3 minute long OFFLINE match. I'm scared for how long it will take when online gets added to the Switch version.

That's a shame. Going on what you said about it in the earlier post, it sounded like something close enough to NBA Jam for me to enjoy it. I don't care about the NBA either. The most recent player I am familiar with at ALL is Michael Jordan, and I can really only tell you what team he played for and that he was good. I am not a sports fan at all. So I definitely prefer arcade-y sports games, and one of the main reasons I liked NBA Jam was the goofy unlockable players, like Bill Clinton. The PS3 version was fun because you could play as Obama/Biden, Clinton/Gore, etc. But those load times killed it, and it sounds like the Switch version is just as bad. I'll do some reading and see if the PS4 version loads faster. 

7 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

If we're going by titles bought, then I'm pretty sure I beat everyone on the PS3/PS4/Vita, and likely the Wii U as well. But if it's games played, I'm probably dead last for every platform. :P

I've only got a few pages left on my PSN Download List to add to my backlog spreadsheet (and I still need to go through my Wii U and 3DS download lists and ALL my retail games for every platform), and the number of games is just staggering. Better late than never for me to realize the extent of my backlog problem, but yeah I need to work on this seriously. 

7 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

@MosesRockefeller Pretty good odds that World Of Goo will be a title I buy for one of the holidays I'll be on soon, have you played it some more? I'm guessing that it's a good port, no problems?

It seems like a solid port. I have to say that I don't like the Joy-con option (for Tabletop or TV Mode) very much but I don't know if the Wii version was better or worse on the Wii-mote. I know that it was easier to control using a mouse on PC (that's where I played it before this port). But the Handheld Mode touchscreen controls work great. I haven't gotten very far in it, but I certainly think it's worth full price. 

4 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

And brand recognition is a lot better this time around, than, say, the Wii U. Every time I bust it out on the train or take it to my course, at least one or two people will comment, and most will be asking about the new Zelda and shit. Hell, even my teacher the other day asked about it for her son and she actually knew what the fucker was called. That being said, I was playing MK8 walking into the thing yesterday and this girl from class comes up and asks how I am and shit and, being the antisocial stereotypical 20 year old I am, I kept playing while talking to her* and she's like "Is that one of them Wii U things?" and I had a little chuckle in my head. Fuck Nintendo messed the Wii U up.

*She's a lovely girl and it was the end of the race and she was watching, it wasn't genuinely like me ignoring her for the game, I'm not that much of an asshole.

It's good to hear that Nintendo did a better job this time with the marketing and brand recognition. 

Also, shit dude, you have a baby at 20 years old? I don't mean to gawk, but I was smart/selfish enough to wait until I was 34 before I had a kid. Of course, the joke's on me, because I never even had a girlfriend until after I was 20. How's THAT for antisocial? :awesome:

Anyway, my hat's off to you if you weren't kidding about your age, I wasn't ready for the responsibility of caring for a pet at 20, much less a human being. 

12 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I know, I'm just being a prick and kidding anyways. TBH I couldn't put Specter down, and now that I have the whole thing on PS4, I still haven't finished up the main campaign. Sure I've been playing other shit, and school, and baby, and all that, but like, I enjoy Shovel of Hope just fine, but I think Specter is leagues above the main campaign myself.

I like the 3 or so levels I played in Specter so far, but damn I'm having a hard time adapting to the changed gameplay, mainly timing the "melee jumps" over gaps. The down-shovel bounce jump from Shovel of Hope is so ingrained in me right now, it's like muscle memory. It probably doesn't help that I'm bouncing back and forth between the two campaigns, since I'm still foolishly trying to do a deathless New Game+ run in Hope. 

22 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

Probably depends on which you played first. I thought as a whole Shovel Knight was better but Specter had better gameplay and a better story presentation.

11 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I've only got a few pages left on my PSN Download List to add to my backlog spreadsheet (and I still need to go through my Wii U and 3DS download lists and ALL my retail games for every platform), and the number of games is just staggering. Better late than never for me to realize the extent of my backlog problem, but yeah I need to work on this seriously. 

That's less "git gud" and more "git playing, you lazy bum" B)

It seems like a solid port. I have to say that I don't like the Joy-con option (for Tabletop or TV Mode) very much but I don't know if the Wii version was better or worse on the Wii-mote. I know that it was easier to control using a mouse on PC (that's where I played it before this port). But the Handheld Mode touchscreen controls work great. I haven't gotten very far in it, but I certainly think it's worth full price. 

Yeah I figured it would be touchscreen controlled, it's the only way I'd want to play it on the Switch. I liked the mouse controls on PC and the Wii controls were okay at the time, though I probably would not want to play them with Wii controls now any more.

Problem is that I already have the game on PC and had it for Wii. It's hard justifying this price again, which it already had eight years ago.

Also, shit dude, you have a baby at 20 years old? I don't mean to gawk, but I was smart/selfish enough to wait until I was 34 before I had a kid. Of course, the joke's on me, because I never even had a girlfriend until after I was 20. How's THAT for antisocial? :awesome:

I thought you didn't have a girlfriend back then because you were too busy having gay sex... HA, SEXIST BURN!

5 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

That's less "git gud" and more "git playing, you lazy bum" B)

It's more of "stop buying new games and git playing", but yes. :) Anyway, the "git gud" comment was in reference to Mario Kart, or any other racer where I don't have motivation to play enough to get good. Actually it has nothing to do with laziness, I typically want to move onto games in my backlog. So it's actually the opposite of lazy! Right? Right? 

Problem is that I already have the game on PC and had it for Wii. It's hard justifying this price again, which it already had eight years ago.

Yeah, we've discussed this already. I was just stating that the game is a solid port that isn't asking too much. It's a reasonable price point for people who aren't buying the game for the third time. :awesome:

I thought you didn't have a girlfriend back then because you were too busy having gay sex... HA, SEXIST BURN!

Nice, another perfect Simpsons reference opportunity for @Super-Fly Spider-Guy to enjoy: 

Spoiler

643358.jpg?b64lines=IEJVVCBJIERPTidUIEdP