Final Fantasy 14 Stormblood Expansion's Samurai Class Announced

Saucy source

The news was revealed as part of FFXIV's Fan Fest event by director Naoki Yoshida. The Samurai is a melee DPS type that uses katanas and isn't associated with any other class. Players who create a Samurai will start at level 50 (Stormblood increases the level cap to 70), though that specific number may still change.

Square Enix also shared the full opening cinematic from Stormblood, which you can watch below. You could be forgiven for thinking the first half was from a Final Fantasy fighting game. The latter half provides a look at a new Asian-style city from the expansion and gives a taste of some Samurai action.

Also according to Sixthaxis, the game will indeed be getting a Pro mode

During the developer Q&A session at the ongoing Final Fantasy Fan Festival 2017 in Frankfurt, game producer Naoki Yoshida confirmed that the team were working on a patch for the PS4 Pro that would target improving the game’s performance on the system.

Now that support for the PS3 version is being discontinued, and the PC minimum specs are being raised, all players can expect an improvement to the game’s visuals and performance, but the Pro version will take a step further than the standard PS4 one.

Pro users with 4K displays may be disappointed that the new patch won’t make the most of their set-up, but given the often variable frame-rate of Final Fantasy XIV on PS4 this is good news for those with the more powerful system.

No date has yet been set for the patch, but we can expect more news soon.

EDIT:

For clarification, there will be no new tank class with Stormblood, only Red Mage and Samurai Source

The Samurai will be the second and last new class for Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood expansion. Square Enix wants to focus on balancing the current tank and healers classes and adding three classes in Heavensward made that a difficult task.  

Edited by Death_Ninja
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, kibbypls said:

Nice trailer. 

So the new classes that have been announced so far is Samurai and Red Mage, from what I gather. Any word on what the new tank class will be? Pretty excited to try the samurai, but I doubt it'll make me change my main from Warrior ;P 

my understanding is red mage and samurai are the only new classes for stormblood. Still undecided myself if i want to switch my main to samurai or stick with dragoon.

On 2/18/2017 at 4:04 PM, kibbypls said:

Nice trailer. 

So the new classes that have been announced so far is Samurai and Red Mage, from what I gather. Any word on what the new tank class will be? Pretty excited to try the samurai, but I doubt it'll make me change my main from Warrior ;P 

According to another article I read: "The Samurai will be the second and last new class for Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood expansion. Square Enix wants to focus on balancing the current tank and healers classes and adding three classes in Heavensward made that a difficult task"

I'll add that in the OP in case anyone else finds this thread.

On 2/18/2017 at 4:13 PM, MoneyShotxox said:

So many people will play samurai because it's the first dps class that will have a sword. They really have to make the new tank/healer job amazing.to keep those duty finder ques down.

I didn't even realize that lol