Slow Vehicles Fix (controller mod)

I have created a video to show how to fix this issue by easily modifying your controller. Because you will need to open the controller I would advise you to only do so if you: 

1. Know what you are doing, for example: how to open the controller, change parts, make changes to internal components and close the controller back up.
2. Have an older controller that has no warranty.

At the time of making the video Ubisoft has not made any attempt to acknowledge this issue. So currently this may be the best option. However they may soon release a patch to fix this issue. So if you would prefer not to attempt this fix then I would suggest constantly messaging Ubisoft to help make them aware of the severity of this issue and to help them see how many people are affected by it.

Furthermore, whilst the PS4 controller is very easy to take apart and fix, if you haven't done so before, I would advise watching a video or viewing a guide online to see how to do it safely.. but remember by attempting this fix you do so at your own risk 

you can view the video here

Yeah basically quite a good chunk of people who have an older controller can't get vehicles to accelerate past first gear. It happens when the conductive pad behind the right trigger gets worn over time. Despite pressing down on the trigger fully, the game only registers a light press. So the vehicles move, but don't accelerate properly. Leaving you driving along in first gear constantly. 

There are multiple posts on Reddit and other forums where people are having this issue. But Ubisoft are yet to comment. 

I don't know why it only seems to be an issue in this game and not others. But the severity of the issue differs between users...

If you have a new controller with no wearing on the conductive pad. Then you won't have any issues at all.

If your pad is a year or two old you may have to tap the RT a few times or really pull the RT hard before it registers.

But if like me, you have an older console. (Mine being the one I got on launch day) then nothing you do will work.. The pad is so worn that when I press the trigger, the trigger dips into a tear inside the conductive pad. So the controller only registers a soft press instead of a full trigger pull.

3 hours ago, GizMo_The_Great said:

Yeah basically quite a good chunk of people who have an older controller can't get vehicles to accelerate past first gear. It happens when the conductive pad behind the right trigger gets worn over time. Despite pressing down on the trigger fully, the game only registers a light press. So the vehicles move, but don't accelerate properly. Leaving you driving along in first gear constantly. 

There are multiple posts on Reddit and other forums where people are having this issue. But Ubisoft are yet to comment. 

I don't know why it only seems to be an issue in this game and not others. But the severity of the issue differs between users...

If you have a new controller with no wearing on the conductive pad. Then you won't have any issues at all.

If your pad is a year or two old you may have to tap the RT a few times or really pull the RT hard before it registers.

But if like me, you have an older console. (Mine being the one I got on launch day) then nothing you do will work.. The pad is so worn that when I press the trigger, the trigger dips into a tear inside the conductive pad. So the controller only registers a soft press instead of a full trigger pull.

Aha i had a similar problem with Uncharted 4 where nathan would only walk and not run because of my left joystick =P

Hmm thanks for that advice because I'm still using an original pad and sometimes in this game and R6 Siege the character stops moving forward long enough to slow down then moves faster again. Also it's tough to get the helicopter to tilt forward sometimes so my left stick must be failing.

On 09/03/2017 at 0:22 PM, GeneralBubblezz said:

What you're describing sounds more like a generally broken controller and not something that has to do with the game. 

Technically it is, the controllers become worn over time anyway. But the wear becomes more apparent in this game. 

Where other games would just register a pull of the trigger the same as each other. This game has differences between a soft pull and a harder one.. 

a soft pull moves you along in first gear.

a hard pull makes you accelerate up through the gears.

the problem arises when your conductive pad is over worn. Meaning that when you pull the trigger harder it doesn't put enough pressure on the conductive pad, and as such the game thinks you're only pressing lightly. 

The heart of the problem, is indeed the controller. I myself have just ordered the Nacon Revolution Pro controller. Which I was planning to buy anyway but this issue has expedited that purchase.. 

However some people may not be able to afford a new controller at the moment and may opt to just mod theirs like this..

As for the game itself, there's not technically anything wrong with it. But it would be nice if there was a way to adjust the trigger functions, allowing you to turn off the changes between soft or harder pulls.

On 3/8/2017 at 6:35 AM, GizMo_The_Great said:

It happens when the conductive pad behind the right trigger gets worn over time. Despite pressing down on the trigger fully, the game only registers a light press. So the vehicles move, but don't accelerate properly. Leaving you driving along in first gear constantly. 

Helldivers had this issue too. They set up their guns to fire single shots with a light pull, full auto with a heavy pull. The people with the worn controllers could barely shoot, and Arrowhead quickly put in a "veteran controller mode" switch that made everything register like a heavy pull.

On 09/03/2017 at 0:22 PM, GeneralBubblezz said:

What you're describing sounds more like a generally broken controller and not something that has to do with the game. 

No, it's to do with the game. Everyone including myself has ran into this issue (slow vehicles) where all vehicles were stuck in 1st gear. I tried the "press, let-go and quickly press" trick which seemed to have taken it out of 1st gear. Now vehicles are moving faster, it's a problem with the game and not the controllers. I even tried with a controller I barely used. This issue also seems common with some other Ubisoft games as well, but this is the first time I've noticed it. 

In the ops case though, yes the op has a broken controller. 

Edited by Combatting
  • Like 1

• 6 years later...
On 3/11/2017 at 4:04 PM, Combatting said:

No, it's to do with the game. Everyone including myself has ran into this issue (slow vehicles) where all vehicles were stuck in 1st gear. I tried the "press, let-go and quickly press" trick which seemed to have taken it out of 1st gear. Now vehicles are moving faster, it's a problem with the game and not the controllers. I even tried with a controller I barely used. This issue also seems common with some other Ubisoft games as well, but this is the first time I've noticed it. 

In the ops case though, yes the op has a broken controller. 

This

Even with people who use brand spanking new controllers are encountering this issue.

More to the point if this was an issue with the controllers R2 button, why would tapping it twice make it work all of a sudden?

It wouldn't.

It's an in game issue.

The easiest (and I use that word lightly here) 'fix' I've found for this is to reassign your L2 and R2 buttons the other way around in the consoles accessibility options.

Makes it confusing as hell to drive and a little awkward since you're also controlling the directtions with the left analogue stick, but it works and reverse works fine this way too.

I couldn't get the double tap accelerate trick to work on motorbikes at all, which made the bike challenges on Narco Road a literal impossibility.

Swap the L2 and R2 around and hey presto. Still a pain in the arse but at least it's now a feasible pain in the arse 🤣